Lenovo Y400/Y410 or Y500/Y510 boot in MAC OS

Alex Sung

Fellow Lenovo Owners,

I was wondering if anyone in Tech Inferno forums has tried ahem "Hackintoshing" your Lenovo Y400/Y500.

I'm not a huge Mac OS X fan but my wife loves Mac OS X. So I was wondering if any you ladies and gents out there have any good tutorials for trying this in my Lenovo Y400. I found a few different articles and the best one I found thus far is this one:

The Best Lenovo Hackintosh Laptop of 2012

First, can anyone verify if this would theoretically work? Second, has anyone tried this mod themselves?

Any tips or advice to point me in the right direction would be appreciated!!!

Fellow Lenovo Owners,

I was wondering if anyone in Tech Inferno forums has tried ahem "Hackintoshing" your Lenovo Y400/Y500.

I'm not a huge Mac OS X fan but my wife loves Mac OS X. So I was wondering if any you ladies and gents out there have any good tutorials for trying this in my Lenovo Y400. I found a few different articles and the best one I found thus far is this one:

The Best Lenovo Hackintosh Laptop of 2012

First, can anyone verify if this would theoretically work? Second, has anyone tried this mod themselves?

Any tips or advice to point me in the right direction would be appreciated!!!

try it and let us know. thanks

I personally use VMWare Workstation on my Y410P, so I haven't tested this yet, but in theory you should be able to download the free Virtual Box and setup OS X inside a virtual machine. I don't think the CPU matters due to the CPU emulation. I'm going to try it out on vmware workstation 10 when I get my new wifi card.

I personally use VMWare Workstation on my Y410P, so I haven't tested this yet, but in theory you should be able to download the free Virtual Box and setup OS X inside a virtual machine. I don't think the CPU matters due to the CPU emulation. I'm going to try it out on vmware workstation 10 when I get my new wifi card.

Yeap I tried using VMWare Workstation. But it was laggy. I tried to use Multibeast but the installation kept failing... I don't think there are Mac drivers either for the GT750m in my Y400.

When you say laggy... Do you mean the video was choppy? That might have something to do with graphic hardware accelleration emulation built into vmware. it can be turned on.

Previous versions of OS X didn't support Haswell processors but as of 10.8.5 Apple added support for Haswell

I have a running version of Mountain Lion on my y510p! Did it with the Haswell Helper from tonymacx86 in combination with Unibeast and a image of ML 10.8.4. (my startup flags: -v USBBusFix=Yes)

Unfortunatly some of the hardware is not (yet) usable (no sound, no wifi, no graphics). But this could also because of booting in safe mode. When I don't boot in safe mode, it hangs on mounting the windows partitions...

• 1 month later...
I have a running version of Mountain Lion on my y510p! Did it with the Haswell Helper from tonymacx86 in combination with Unibeast and a image of ML 10.8.4. (my startup flags: -v USBBusFix=Yes)

Unfortunatly some of the hardware is not (yet) usable (no sound, no wifi, no graphics). But this could also because of booting in safe mode. When I don't boot in safe mode, it hangs on mounting the windows partitions...

Hi, can you specify how exactly you did this? I'm trying to install Mavericks on my system(y510p SLI config) using both MyHack and Unibeast with the Mavericks Installation app from Mac App Store. I did this by using a virtualized version of Mavericks on this systemm also. I'd like to have a full hackintosh instead of just virtualizing it. Anyway, in theory, y510p can run Mavericks, just have to change the WiFi card to have it running. Anyway, I'll try what you've posted and booting Mavericks instead. Thank you.

A working path to both 10.8 and 10.9 have been found! I recently bought a y510p, SLI model. After a lot of research, I've found that it's possible to get the 10.8 hazard release (I really don't recommend distros) and 10.9 from the App Store with the Pandora installer.

I needed use the following kernel flags at first:

-v -x -s -f -F PciRoot=1

this is got me to single user, where I was able to strip out all kexts with Graphics drivers. There are instructions for this somewhere (will edit if I come across it again).

Reboot.

Less the conflicting kexts, you should get to the installer with no more than PciRoot=1. You will need an external keyboard and mouse unless you have the appropriate elan kexts, VoodooPS2 didn't work for me.

Results so far: QE/CI is available if you remove the second nvidia ultrabay card. GraphicsEnabler woks well for this using the latest chameleon brach boot loader (part of the awesome Pandora installer).

No wireless (Bluetooth worked out of the box though).

Lan card nit found at allllll, :( need whitelist fix, and potentially Broadcom card like real MBPs.

No sound, yet. I have hope there's some solution, maybe a DSDT fix eventually. VoodooHDA was a no go here too sadly.

Battery PM working with voodoo and patch from pandora installer post install. USB 3.0 working.

Card reader works out of the box, and so does the web cam!

After er getting the battery's PM working, trackpad stops working (but not keyboard -- functionality comes from the same driver I believe).

Was able to get a nice full 1920x1080x32 display with the IGU (ultrabay card removed). Keyboard backlight is built in to the keyboard so that works well too.

Trackpad has issues detecting taps and gestures don't work, or randomly sometimes work for a brief moment.

Ram detected fully, all 4 slots, with correctly populated info on occupied slots.

I used smbios info from a macbookpro 8,1 for this but macbookpro 10,3 is probably more appropriate (uses a similar nvidia 750m ^_^).

That's all for now. Hope this helps someone.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...