CPU recommendation for gaming

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on your budget. There are a fair number of Intel CPU's that will be great for modern games, but they will come at a premium as compared to an AMD cpu. Where AMD CPU's are generally less expensive and catered towards tweakers and overclocking so they most of their BIOS and CPU's come out of the box with good tweaking software and unlocked multipliers.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the general consensus right now is that at almost every price point, Intel is a better choice for a gaming CPU. AMD has some good choices for Video editing/rendering with inexpensive 8-core CPU's, but Intel pretty much takes the cake for gaming.

Sometimes you can find a deal on an AMD that might be worth the decrease in performance however, and end up being a better value. Just have to shop around. It also depends on how serious you want to get about gaming.

Most gaming is more GPU dependant than CPU, so you just need a CPU good enough to not bottleneck your GPU. A $75 AMD X3 might be good enough for a low end gpu., but you probably want at least 4 threads, a dualcore hypthreaded haswell would outperform most quadcores that are more than 2 generations old like my lynfield I5-750...but if your getting a GPU like a 7990, you definately want a nice CPU

Since you are new to the gaming world, I am going to assume that you will be playing a wide variety of games, and will likely prefer newer releases coming out before digging back into the classics in search of better games. AMD is the base for both PS4 and the Xbox One, and most major titles will be on both systems. Thus, just about all upcoming games will be optimized for AMD hardware.

This is good for you, as AMD hardware is cheaper and offers more tweaking margin than Intel's mainstream CPU's.

I would strongly recommend getting an AMD 8150 or 8350 processor and combining it with a ~$300 7970 GPU for future proof desktop gaming.

For laptops, you should definitely go for Intel, as they are more expensive but better than AMDs lackluster CPU's. But again, with newer drivers, AMD GPU's will be helpful as they are much more cheaper than Nvidias severely over priced mobile (laptop) GPUs.

So, in conclusion, AMD CPU + GPU for desktop

Intel CPU + AMD GPU for laptop,

Hello,

I am new to gaming world and i saw a lot of things about bad performance and hyperthreading, is it better to choose a Intel or AMD cpu ?

The website Tomshardware.com does some articles on Best CPU for the money. They also do video cards and other good articles.

Since you are new to the gaming world, I am going to assume that you will be playing a wide variety of games, and will likely prefer newer releases coming out before digging back into the classics in search of better games. AMD is the base for both PS4 and the Xbox One, and most major titles will be on both systems. Thus, just about all upcoming games will be optimized for AMD hardware.

Current games are not optimized for just AMD. Who knows what will happen in the future. But PC exclusives will not be optimized for just AMD. And any game released for the PC in the near future will have to run on Nvidia as well. Besides, things are more complicated, for example the game will be optimized for the exact hardware of the consoles, so other hardware will need reoptimizing again. Not to mention, if it is optimized for a AMD cpu, but Intel runs faster than AMD, does it matter. Better to have too much than too little, if the price is OK. And battlefield 4 on PC bottlenecks even Intel cpus.

Current games are not optimized for just AMD. Who knows what will happen in the future. But PC exclusives will not be optimized for just AMD. And any game released for the PC in the near future will have to run on Nvidia as well. Besides, things are more complicated, for example the game will be optimized for the exact hardware of the consoles, so other hardware will need reoptimizing again. Not to mention, if it is optimized for a AMD cpu, but Intel runs faster than AMD, does it matter. Better to have too much than too little, if the price is OK. And battlefield 4 on PC bottlenecks even Intel cpus.

Funny you should mention Battlefield 4, an upcoming major title HEAVILY optimized for AMD (mantle and multi threading). I think its necessary building a new PC to always look upto a year in advance than to consider the past or present.

Unless one is running SLI'd or Crossfired multi gpu setups, the GPU will become a bottleneck much earlier than the CPU. What you are saying is also correct by the way. I only wanted to help the thread starter with very specific, simplified information to get him started without much trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a I7 3610qm and i really think it is the bottleneck - so you should think about newer cup's with 4 Ghz or more.

Most new games like BF4 and most engines which will come up next year will support HT and you should look up for that with as much multicore power you can get :)

^if OP is buying a new laptop now, I don't even think any major retailers carry Ivy Bridge anymore, all have switched over to Haswell.

To the OP: really depends on how much money you have (or are willing to spend). If you're strapped for cash, a 4700MQ will more than suffice for 90% of the games on the market, otherwise a 4800MQ would be the best value for money. It only costs about $120-200 more (depending on who you buy from) than the 4700MQ, and offers about 10-15% more performance.

Honestly though, unless you plan on playing some extremely CPU-intensive games, you'd be much better off getting a top of the line graphics card (which is the GTX 780M right now).

I would recommend AMD cpu as well alon with a AMD VGA (i am amd fan on desktop gaming) since AMD CPU is much cheaper and can be tweaked easily and more ...

My recommendations :

CPU : FX-8350

VGA : Powercolor HD 7990 X2 Devil13

Motherboard : ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z