Gap between heatsink and GPU

conscriptvirus

So one thing that has puzzled me in my repasting adventures is why putting more thermal paste between the GPU and heatsink lead to better temperatures (but still high 80s low 90s in gaming and throttling at 97C for really heavy games) . I also noticed that when I took the heatsink+fan off the GPU, there would be a lot of paste between them and it didn;t look like it was squished out very well which could possibly mean that the GPU wasn't really touching the heatsink.

I wiped off the paste, and put the heatsink back on without paste, and I could see a thin gap of air between the GPU and heatsink. I'm guessing my temperatures would be a lot better if the GPU was actually touching the heatsink, so does any one have any solution to this. ?

So one thing that has puzzled me in my repasting adventures is why putting more thermal paste between the GPU and heatsink lead to better temperatures (but still high 80s low 90s in gaming and throttling at 97C for really heavy games) . I also noticed that when I took the heatsink+fan off the GPU, there would be a lot of paste between them and it didn;t look like it was squished out very well which could possibly mean that the GPU wasn't really touching the heatsink.

I wiped off the paste, and put the heatsink back on without paste, and I could see a thin gap of air between the GPU and heatsink. I'm guessing my temperatures would be a lot better if the GPU was actually touching the heatsink, so does any one have any solution to this. ?

Is there any thermal pads on the card? If so they may be too thick and lead to bad contact between heatsink and GPU die. In this case you can sort this out by replacing the thermal pads with thinner ones. Or add copper shims to the heatsink.

Yes eliminating the gap would be a tremendous improvement. It sounds like adding a copper shim or somehow lowering the heatsink is required.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just bought some copper shim from amazon. Not quite sure how thick I needed so I just estimated but it will take a couple of weeks to arrive..grr.

Other ideas that I came up with: (let me know what you think)

+Put a wad of electric tape/rubber above the heatsink on the GPU so that when the laptop is reassembled, the base of the laptop will be pushing on the wad which will push the heatsink more onto the GPU.

+Put a thermal pad on the GPU.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just bought some copper shim from amazon. Not quite sure how thick I needed so I just estimated but it will take a couple of weeks to arrive..grr.

Other ideas that I came up with: (let me know what you think)

+Put a wad of electric tape/rubber above the heatsink on the GPU so that when the laptop is reassembled, the base of the laptop will be pushing on the wad which will push the heatsink more onto the GPU.

+Put a thermal pad on the GPU.

I don't know if putting pressure on the heatsink will do anything, it depends on the heatsinks design. It´s better to use a copper shim with thermal paste rather than a thermal pad because the heat dispatch will be greater that way.

Is there thermal pads on the memory and vrm's? In that case you'll probably be able to make better contact by replacing them with thinner ones.