Can i upgrade my Alienware m18x R1 to R2

Quico20

Hello, i have an alieware m18X R1, i wish to upgrade it to an alienware m18x R2 so i can be able to use third generation processors.

do you know if its possible if i buy a motherboard M18x R2 it will with in my alienware M18X R1 case???

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are you trying to go from an R1 to an R2? If so, I believe all that differs is the motherboard, so all you need to do is go to ebay and find an m18x r2 motherboard, like this one. They are expensive though, so make so you really know the difference and what you need to get. The link I gave you was for an R2 board, and with how motherboards come, that's a good price for it.

• 1 month later...
It's possible I did it last night, make sure you get the r2 disagree board plus ribbon cable. Only snag is I forgot to get the msata module as I wanted to use a msata ssd as well

Is the daughter board ribbon cable different in the R1 vs the R2? I'm looking to perform this upgrade as well, and I can't find the daughter board with ribbon cable included.

• 1 month later...
Is the daughter board ribbon cable different in the R1 vs the R2? I'm looking to perform this upgrade as well, and I can't find the daughter board with ribbon cable included.

P/N: YYFHR

This is the IO Board for the R2 and should come with the io cable

I'm glad my finances mounted up when they did, because while I love DIY projects, I can't imagine the hassle it'd be to remove the entire motherboard and switch it out. It's probably not as bad as I'm imagining. Good thing is, it's a heck of a lot cheaper and probably less of a hassle than selling your old laptop for a completely different one. Upside is that you get to sell your R1 motherboard and recoup some of that money spent on the R2 board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I'm a little late too the party (like 6 years lolz) but glad it's possible to fit a R2 motherboard into a R1 casing) I'm guessing the R1 does not have the mSATA connection while the R2 does, from what I've investigated the sata (3x drive) harddrive caddy ribbon is 60pin on the R2 while the R1 ribbon connector on motherboard (might be daughter board) is 40pin (for 2x harddrive caddy)

Edited by italkdigital