Y510p and turbo boost

Stardeluxe

Hi

Have any one else of you Y510p owners seen any problems with the laptop not turbo boosting?

Turbo Boost allows for automatic overclocking so the cores run faster than their base operating frequency. In ideal conditions, this increase is more than 1 GHz - but unfortunately, the IdeaPad Y510p suffers from a less-than-perfect implementation of the technology. As long as only one core is under load, everything is fine: 3.3 GHz are close to the upper Turbo Boost limit. When more than one core is tasked or the GPU is stressed, the clock speed drops to only 2.4 GHz. While this technically cannot be called throttling, it is still rather disappointing.

I experience similar problems and am a bit stuck right now. Has anyone looked into it? The ThrottleStop author seems to imply that this is by design, what do you guys and gals think?

I don't have access to my laptop right now, but I'll check later what the Intel XTU software can do.

Hi

Have any one else of you Y510p owners seen any problems with the laptop not turbo boosting?

I experience similar problems and am a bit stuck right now. Has anyone looked into it? The ThrottleStop author seems to imply that this is by design, what do you guys and gals think?

I don't have access to my laptop right now, but I'll check later what the Intel XTU software can do.

You should not use Throttlestop. This is done by design to prevent damage done by heat.

They might remove your warranty if discovered. Because this is similar to overclocking and running past manufacturer's specifications.

Most here have been doing it since the beginning. But I rather have some sweet cool gaming around 70-80c instead of 100c

You should not use Throttlestop. This is done by design to prevent damage done by heat.

They might remove your warranty if discovered. Because this is similar to overclocking and running past manufacturer's specifications.

Most here have been doing it since the beginning. But I rather have some sweet cool gaming around 70-80c instead of 100c

Stop spreading ignorance and misinformation. Not everyone is OK with being fleeced and not getting the performance they paid for. Also, read the review properly. Turbo Boost in the Y510p shuts off when more than one core is loaded or the GPU is also working, even if temperatures are fine. I don't even know where you came up that cute little tidbit about the warranty. So you're telling me that running the CPU at Intel's intended specifications is voiding the warranty? ROFL.

I repasted my Y500 and now the CPU is topping out at around 85C in games with Turbo Boost on via ThrottleStop. I'm greatly enjoying the large performance gains in CPU-limited games. So there goes the brunt of you argument.

@Stardeluxe ThrottleStop 6.00 beta 1 supports Haswell and is now available which should hopefully fix your throttling issues. I think I also read that the 4700MQ is not locked down like the 3630QM and can be overclocked by a few hundred MHz using XTU, so that might be something you want to look into as well if you've got the thermal headroom.

• Thumbs Up 3

@Stardeluxe ThrottleStop 6.00 beta 1 supports Haswell and is now available which should hopefully fix your throttling issues. I think I also read that the 4700MQ is not locked down like the 3630QM and can be overclocked by a few hundred MHz using XTU, so that might be something you want to look into as well if you've got the thermal headroom.

Is a ThrottleStop version with Haswell support publicly available? I can't find the 6.00 beta 1 version and the 5.10 beta has expired.