M17x R4 sometimes ridiculously slow HD access speeds

fourberie

I've noticed since day 1 that there's something very wrong with my R4.

I have 1 mSSD (primary boot) and 2 storage 750GB HDs in my R4.

The SSD is fine, but when trying to access anything from either of the 2 storage HDs, occasionally, there's this loading time when opening a media file.

For example, when I try to change tracks, there's very often a very noticeable load time between each track. At least a second or two. It'll show on last.fm that the track has already changed, but at least a 2 second delay before it plays within winamp.

The same thing also happens with document files. When I try to open a excel spreadsheet, it takes ages to open up. While excel, the application would open up, the document itself would take a while to load in and become accessible.

I've already replaced the motherboard with a fresh one shipped from Dell, but it's been the same thing as the previous one.

Has anyone experienced the same thing?

• 1 month later...

I know that this is an older post, but there are a few things that could case this issue. I am sure that you have tried to defrag the HD. Also, if you right click on the drives in question and uncheck Allow files on this to to be indexed, that may alleviate some strain. If the HD is full, this could also cause the slow-down. PM me and I am happy to help you diagnose. One other thing, have you move your page file or system restore files to your mech drive?