complaint to clevo about lack of 780m support

Khenglish

I sent this email to clevo about their lack of support for the 780m:

I was disappointed upon the release of the Nvidia GTX 780m to hear that this card does not work in any Clevo laptop prior to the new Haswell based laptops, except for the P570WM. The P150HM, P170HM, P150EM, and P170EM hardware wise would support this card perfectly fine, however, Clevo abandoned these laptop owners, never releasing the required BIOS update to run this card.

This card does work properly in Alienware models m18x R1, m18x R2, m17x R3, M17x R4, and even the old m15x. These laptops were all released prior to the 780m, yet Dell had support for the card anyway. Clevos lack of support for future hardware makes choosing Clevo over Alienware a difficult choice. I and many other Clevo laptop owners would very much like to see a new BIOS update for older laptops to support the top end graphics card, the GTX 780m. Such an action would make us more confident in choosing Clevo as a laptop provider in the future.

This will likely go nowhere with at best some BS response about the update being more difficult than a BIOS update, but I figured I would give it a shot. It's ridiculous that as a top end laptop maker that they did not already provide support for this card.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nicely said, hopefully this will kick them into gear - obviously not too concerned about opposition? hah.

Hope for your sake and everyone else's that this goes somewhere! Maybe they will get their act together and get people stuck in limbo moving forward again.

And this was their response:

Dear Sir,

GTX-780M ony can support S serious model, it is cause by H/W issue can't

support on previous model. Thank you for your understanding.

This is exactly the lie that I expected. I emailed back the link of prema getting it to work. I doubt I will get a reply to that :)

I think you do not understand the problem. That's what you're saying is an optional extra for reselers for which they would have to pay, in addition reduce their sales of new models.

It is economically impossible. ;)

Edit: Just as the change in the fans table. :)

• Founder

Technically Dell doesn't support or validate the new cards either. The difference is their bios isn't so limited like Clevo. I guess Clevo figures nobody would upgrade to their newest model if they kept giving bios upgrades to their old models.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Technically Dell doesn't support or validate the new cards either. The difference is their bios isn't so limited like Clevo. I guess Clevo figures nobody would upgrade to their newest model if they kept giving bios upgrades to their old models.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Yeah you're right, but the issue still stands. Dells are more upgradable than Clevos even though at the hardware level clevo should be just as upgradable. Clevo is going to lose some sales if they do not rectify this.

Any updates on getting this to work on the p370em3 laptop yet ......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Prema says he got the card to mostly work for the P150EM and P170EM (it renders, but he says there are bugs. IDK what bugs he has), but he cannot get it past BIOS setup in HM laptops. I do not think he has tried anything for the P370EM yet.

Any updates on getting this to work on the p370em3 laptop yet ......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

You can forget about upgrading gpu's on 3d laptops, really. It's possible only on AW laptops but even if you save 120hz there will be no 3D.

I know there're problems on upgrading gpu's on optimus/enduro based laptops, but why they are not wotking on clevo sli/cf laptops??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4