Any tips on keeping the Y500 cool?

SavageNerdz

Hey everyone, was just just wondering if anyone had found any methods of keeping the Y500 a bit cooler.. Generally when gaming, the CPU temps hit 70-80 (Not near the shutdown level, but still pretty damn hot). I have a cooling pad, not that it does very well (Planning on buying a better one soon).

If you have any tips PLEASE post them.

Thank you!

~Lane~

Where do usually play games? Have you used a really good laptop cooler? I would suggest the Rosewill RLCP 11003B or Gear Head CFS88800BLK both have good reviews. Sometimes ventilation specially around the vent area of the laptop plays a role to so keep an eye for that.

Lenovo sells an Ultrabay cooling fan - I've heard mixed reviews, but it's relatively cheap so I might pick one up. The other thing you might consider if you're comfortable with taking the machine apart is repasting the CPU, GPU, and chipset. I haven't done my Lenovo yet but I've done it for other laptops and it can drop temps significantly. I suspect it will work pretty well in these machines since the heatsink appears to be halfway decent, and capable of dissipating the heat at the increased rate a well-repasted CPU will feed it.

Also, if you find you're hitting these temps when the machine isn't under significant load, you can always try using the Throttlestop utility to downclock the CPU or disable turbo boost for that session. This would have the added benefit of cutting power utilization, always nice if you're on battery.

Don't waste your money on another cooling pad. See my post here http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4387-cooling-pad-not-cooling.html, I modded an ultimate cooling pad and it did absolutely nothing for the Y500 temps. 0 change.

The only thing that seemed to slightly help was placing a fan to help exhaust the hot air from the side vent. 70-80 while gaming would be great for me... I often hit 97+deg.

Don't waste your money on another cooling pad. See my post here http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4387-cooling-pad-not-cooling.html, I modded an ultimate cooling pad and it did absolutely nothing for the Y500 temps. 0 change.

The only thing that seemed to slightly help was placing a fan to help exhaust the hot air from the side vent. 70-80 while gaming would be great for me... I often hit 97+deg.

No, only certain disassembly steps void the warranty, usually accessing the heatsinks or removing the CPU from the socket, and they have stickers telling you that. It's not like they're gonna prevent you from swapping out the hard drive or WLAN/WWAN card; that would be absurd. But if they can't prove you did anything, then no harm done. If you're worried, you could certainly send the overheating laptop in and tell them to do the repaste for you, but then you have to deal with the long turnaround time and high possibility that they'll use the cheap stuff and glop it on again, making no improvement in temps. If you do it yourself, you can use high quality TIM and perform a good application. This laptop is not too difficult to disassemble compared to some others so there's not a high chance of breaking anything, but doing it yourself while the warranty period is still active means that in the unlikely chance you do break something, you can call them up and beat around the bush to get it repaired for free, whereas if you wait until after the warranty has expired to do it you won't have that luxury.

What voids your warranty and what not depends on the manufacturer, where you bought it and where you live, in Europe you can swap the HDD's and RAM's without voiding the warranty and in some cases even doing this will void your warranty.

In almost every brand further disassemble breaks the warranty.

It's not like you can take apart anything that doesn't have a warranty sticker on it, I know some MSI notebooks has a warranty sticker which covers one of the screw holes for the bottom panel which can be broken without voiding the warranty.

Good point, and I totally agree with you. So moral of the story is don't take my word for it, or that of anyone else here, and if in doubt always contact the manufacturer directly before proceeding.

Just an FYI... i just repasted the CPU / GPU + the 750m Ultrabay. Temps reduced a few degrees... my Ultrabay drive went from 84-87deg C to 79deg C with my last test. Also, there is a warranty sticker covering one of the screw holes.

If the bottom of y500 is in any way similar to y580, then try removing the bottom cover(s) and then use cooling pad. In my case it made a huge difference. Have a look: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4136-y580-pushing-limits.html#post60809

You can't do that on the Y500 because the design of the bottom panel is different. It's just a single panel that covers the entire bottom of the notebook and the rubber feet are attached to it as well.

Just an FYI... i just repasted the CPU / GPU + the 750m Ultrabay. Temps reduced a few degrees... my Ultrabay drive went from 84-87deg C to 79deg C with my last test. Also, there is a warranty sticker covering one of the screw holes.

When I repasted, I didn't notice much difference in my GPU temps, but my CPU got a lot cooler. This was great because my GPU's were already running quite cool, but it was my CPU that was always on the brink of overheating.

I've repasted a couple of times and I'm still not quite sure how much to use. It seems like temps get better the more you paste you add.

Also, Idk what else to do but when I run Msi kombustor / Furmark burn-in tests, my GPU will start throttling at around 95-97C after about 3 min. However when I'm just gaming, GPU temps stay around 70-80C

I've repasted a couple of times and I'm still not quite sure how much to use. It seems like temps get better the more you paste you add.

Also, Idk what else to do but when I run Msi kombustor / Furmark burn-in tests, my GPU will start throttling at around 95-97C after about 3 min. However when I'm just gaming, GPU temps stay around 70-80C

Move to the UK its summer and 17'C here today!!

It's 17' right now at my place too. But it's the middle of winter xD

Getting back to the topic... The whole point of radiator and heat-pipes is to get the heat generated by CPU/GPU out of your computer as soon as possible, and by adding a lot of paste you simply extend the route it has to travel.

Using Furmark is like bashing your GPU with a hammer, it will only do harm.

Undervolting is good way to keep everything cool. Don't know if it works on Y580, but on my second laptop Dell Lattitude 6400 repasting and undervolting gave about 10-15C less CPU temp.

Unfortunately the mobile Core i CPU's cannot be undervolted.

• Thumbs Up 1