[vBIOS MOD] CLEVO 7970M vBIOS Pack (Non-Enduro)

Nospheratu

Hi sir, maybe it's an already asked questions, maybe a stupid one too but i actually own a p370em clevo and i was wondering if it's possible to oc it like the 8970m clocks. I know how to flash it and i'm actually using the Dell vbios for the 7970m cards. I downloaded the vbios pack from svl7 but i'm actually waiting on your reply if it's possible or not. Thanks alot, Louis

Thanks. I recently tested my 7970M on 3dmark 11. It can barely score 6100 on graphic. I think it is a little bit lower than normal 7970M can achieve. The drive is 13.11beta, bios is 015.022. I heard that Dell bios will decrease the card frequency when the temperature beyond 60C. I assume that is the problem. Will the clevo bios have some improvement?

Thank again.

I'm not aware of any throttling issue at 60C with the Dell 7970M's on the M18X R2 but you could test easily if that's the case by logging your temps and clocks with GPU-Z while running 3Dmark11.

Although, since the 7970M is a supported card on the M18x R2 I don't think its a vBIOS problem. Do you have a single 7970M? I did test my M17X with one 7970M a while back and it scored +-7000 on stock clocks so there's definitely something going on with your machine.

Hi sir, maybe it's an already asked questions, maybe a stupid one too but i actually own a p370em clevo and i was wondering if it's possible to oc it like the 8970m clocks. I know how to flash it and i'm actually using the Dell vbios for the 7970m cards. I downloaded the vbios pack from svl7 but i'm actually waiting on your reply if it's possible or not. Thanks alot, Louis

If you mean having boost clocks, then no. The 7970M vBIOS does not cater for as far as I know. If you want to increase your 7970M clocks to 8970M boost clocks ie. 900/1250 then yes its absolutely possible. You don't even have to adjust voltage to attain those clocks. The card should be able to run those clocks undervolted at 0.975V safely if you want them to run cooler.

So you can either flash the stock 1050V vBIOS or the 0.975V from the pack under the Normal/Forced folders. Both will have OverDrive enabled for you to adjust your clocks to 900/1250 through CCC. Be sure to read the note I added at the end of the first post so that OverDrive kicks in immediately at boot.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, after flashing the last version of the bios, i ve tried to flash my 7970m (note , it's a dell's one) with a vbios found here : [GUIDE] - Blind-Flashing AMD 7970M modded vBIOS for Clevo P1xxHM Laptops.

But when flash was finished, and after reboot, pc works well during 15 sec and then fans come a 100%, bips occured and cpas locks' led and 2 other flashing. and after 20sec of this pc shut down. why?

• 3 weeks later...
Finally, after flashing the last version of the bios, i ve tried to flash my 7970m (note , it's a dell's one) with a vbios found here : [GUIDE] - Blind-Flashing AMD 7970M modded vBIOS for Clevo P1xxHM Laptops.

But when flash was finished, and after reboot, pc works well during 15 sec and then fans come a 100%, bips occured and cpas locks' led and 2 other flashing. and after 20sec of this pc shut down. why?

From my understanding Dell cards dont play nice with CLEVO laptops but I have no knowledge or experience with your particular combination so I could be wrong. My advice would be to try a few different vBIOS's like svl7's Dell version or the CLEVO version used in this thread.

Does this work on the g73jh with 7970m upgrade?

I have no idea, as this vBIOS is based on the CLEVO 7970M. So if your laptop is compatible with the CLEVO card chances are it will work.

Unlike NVIDIA, Dell AMD cards generally don't work on Clevos. The reason being the thermal sensor values given to the EC are misinterpreted and causing the system to do a thermal emergency shutdown.

• 2 months later...
Update:

All stuff arrived to install the card :D Unfortunately my R2 wont recognize the 7970M

She gives me no GPU beeps when the 015.022 vbios flashed, and no display at all when 015.017 vbios used. Only no GPU error blinking (caps+ scroll + steady num lock) Officially GPU preventing the system to complete post.

And now the exciting part are: when i flash back the 015.022 vbios and have the card in my friends m17x-r3 it post and installs. we played games for half a day no freezing or artifacts.

Conclusion: The card rev A00 with vbios 015.022 DOES NOT WORK in the R2 nor the 015.17 vbios.

Hi, I upgraded my M17X R3 to 7970m from Upgrademonkey. After 3 days of different tests now the laptop boots and loads Win correctly, bus as soon as I run any game it shows artifacts for a short while, after that white screnn with vertical lines and crash.

Do you know what BIOS and driver was you friend using by the time it worked?

Could you post the link to the guide he followed?

Thx

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply i was busy.

The vbios is the standard AMD vbios 015.022 and now with catalyst 14.4 I was the one who installed the card into his laptop. The card was not working in my M17X-R2 so we tried with his clevo . The process was some sort of trial and error approach. I de-soldered the flash chip programmed it put it back and try.... until it was worked. for me having a bad flash not a problem usually i have multiple SPI flash chips laying around.

• 3 months later...

Guys i need some advice. Has anyone managed to find a VBIOS to run a DELL 7970m so that the GPU fan doesn't always run at full speed (ASUS G73jh)?? I spend the whole day installing and modifying heatsinks to make it work. Stock vbios wouldn't even POST so i had to disable the chip and blind flash. Everything works from HDMI to Drivers. Here's a small teaser (Note i left the cables connected to the EEPROM so in case i flash a VBIOS that won't POST i can fix it without dissasembling the whole thing - i'm writing this from my G73JH - i don't have another PC :P):

dR2snGi.jpg

VBIOS tested (and not) so far:

backup.rom 95462FB612FFB7B021927CC837B5D3B2 128kb This is the VBIOS that came with the card - won't even POST

1.rom Dell7970m.ROM 40647138A561E29BB4E93696C0BD20CA 128kb (TechInferno) - FULLY working except fan issue but sudden flashing of screen)

2.rom 7970M.ROM C191AA570CB58556FC1DC145DCB8F6EC 128kb 7970M (from TI_RJT).rar (Clevo HM teste G73jh working, enduro off, 850mhz) - POST WORKING, HDMI working, Driver issues maybe (i had a BSOD but i did use ATIMAN unistaller and flashed 1.rom so i'm not sure if it would fix the BSOD issue)

3.rom 7970clevoHM_1075v.rom 018739199F91FD65F1ACFE189CBB7BEC 128kb Clevo_7970m_P1x0HM_ov (clevo HM overvolted) - NOT TESTED

4.rom By_cleiton7970m.rom 4897063E8CED85640CAE8786AD1CB6BB 128kb Unknown - NOT TESTED

5.rom Dell7970m-uv-0950v.ROM E7008962FBA832408A102F0607225B0F 128kb (TechInferno) - FULLY WORKING except fan issue; what i'm using at the moment

• 5 months later...
Update:

All stuff arrived to install the card :D Unfortunately my R2 wont recognize the 7970M

She gives me no GPU beeps when the 015.022 vbios flashed, and no display at all when 015.017 vbios used. Only no GPU error blinking (caps+ scroll + steady num lock) Officially GPU preventing the system to complete post.

And now the exciting part are: when i flash back the 015.022 vbios and have the card in my friends m17x-r3 it post and installs. we played games for half a day no freezing or artifacts.

Conclusion: The card rev A00 with vbios 015.022 DOES NOT WORK in the R2 nor the 015.17 vbios.

I have the rev A00 015.022 dell 7970m and i have it working somewhat in my m17x r2. I get display out my hdmi with sound and out vga but not on my rgb led

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The vBIOS in the OP was built specifically for the CLEVO 7970M v1.2 card and to be used in a non-enduro laptop. Some users have reported success with Dell cards but that was with an M17xR2. I'm sorry i coudlnt be of more help.

The RGB LCD incompatibility is only applicable to CLEVO 7970M's. Dell 7970M's when used with our machines don't have this problem. From what I understand other vBIOS's for the CLEVO cards do not detect our RGB displays correctly and treat them as a 3D display which over time damages it. This is just a theory though, don't worry about it since you are safe with the Dell card.

Use SVL7's vBIOS mod pack as most users are using it with the DELL cards. Is there any particular reason you want to use a modded vBIOS? The reason I ask is I see your vBIOS version is 015.022 and cards shipped with that version usually are incompatible with R2's and will not provide display after installation. Downflashing the card may also lead to bricking the card.

Thanks for all the info Nospheratu! I've been researching this upgrade for weeks (single 7970m in an R2) and I have a few questions I can't seem to find good answers to. So Dell cards don't have any problems burning out the RGB screen to your knowledge? I had read elsewhere that the Clevo cards were the safe ones, but I'll defer to you on this one since you and svl7 seem to be the most knowledgeable. Also, I was wondering if the clevo cards had the same 85*C limit? And out of curiosity do you reach those temps often? Thanks in advance!

Update:

AssimilatorX, I'm having the same issue with my card, I purchased one with the 015.017 vbios and I believe it's also an A00. I get 3 beeps with the card, no POST. Were you ever able to get it to work? And is it even possible to do a blind flash if your PC won't POST? And for clarification, are you saying the A00's don't work with either 017 or 022, or the A00's don't work at all? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the info Nospheratu! I've been researching this upgrade for weeks (single 7970m in an R2) and I have a few questions I can't seem to find good answers to.

Sorry for replying so late marc87us. It's been quite a while since I did these mods so I'm a bit rusty but I'll help where I can.

So Dell cards don't have any problems burning out the RGB screen to your knowledge? I had read elsewhere that the Clevo cards were the safe ones, but I'll defer to you on this one since you and svl7 seem to be the most knowledgeable.

Yes, to my knowledge Dell cards do not cause any issues to the RGB screen on our machines. Please bear in mind though, that a substantial amount of time has passed since the initial mod so newer revisions of the cards may have come out which could change things.

Also, I was wondering if the clevo cards had the same 85*C limit? And out of curiosity do you reach those temps often? Thanks in advance!

Clevo cards do not have this limit. Actually theres very few Dell users reporting this as well apart from the initial reports, so its either the cards are running really cool or Dell has fixed it in a newer vBIOS or card revision. Again, I'm just thumb sucking. My cards only go above 80c on a very few games. Granted I havent played a new game in a while. Crysis 3 at 1200p, high settings and very high textures still stresses these cards to the point where my average temps are in the 80's. The last game I played was Metro LL and the cards never went over 80c.

I hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

Hello. I Just had a quick question. I just flashed this vbios to my clevo v1.2 card in my m17x r2. It seems to be working well but the card still detects as "subvendor DELL" in GPUz. I had to force flash the vbios as atiflash wouldn't let me flash it without the force command. Not a major problem, just strange unless Svl7 modified it this way. let me know if i have the option to fix this!

Thanks

Can i use your vbios?

I have a clevo p370em.

Sorry for the delay in response @ozi87. Welcome to T|I :)

Yes you can, I have also tried P370EM vBIOS's on my machine that's why I think it will work fine (CLEVO 7970M v1.2 in CrossFire). However I think your Display Port and HDMi might be swapped around since this is based on the P270WM vBIOS. The P370EM is also Non-Enduro so you should not have any problems. Btw, 15.10 beta is out.

Hello. I Just had a quick question. I just flashed this vbios to my clevo v1.2 card in my m17x r2. It seems to be working well but the card still detects as "subvendor DELL" in GPUz. I had to force flash the vbios as atiflash wouldn't let me flash it without the force command. Not a major problem, just strange unless Svl7 modified it this way. let me know if i have the option to fix this!

Thanks

You probably had a Dell vBIOS loaded on the card hence the force flash. It's normal to force flash between different vendors vBIOS versions. The "Subvendor: Dell" will always appear as GPU-Z read's your motherboard data to populate this field. I can understand it's misleading but flashing a vBIOS won't change this value since you have an Alienware M17x (Dell).

Yes you can, I have also tried P370EM vBIOS's on my machine that's why I think it will work fine (CLEVO 7970M v1.2 in CrossFire). However I think your Display Port and HDMi might be swapped around since this is based on the P270WM vBIOS. The P370EM is also Non-Enduro so you should not have any problems. Btw, 15.10 beta is out.

Hi man!

Thank you for the answer! Do you mean that my hdmi will not work?

I am a little bit frustrated, I have better benchmarks with 1 graphic instead with 2... I never get this working properly. I saw v bios version (the same) , disassembly the graphics, swap then, tried then separately , bought a new PSU (330 delta), tried millions of drivers, win 7, 8.1 and 10, and the result is always the same, worse results with 2 graphics.

AMD support, it's not very good...

You think you have it bad.... nvidia users upgrading to windows 10 are killing their screens lol. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/862417/geforce-drivers/windows-10-geforce-drivers-are-killing-samsung-and-lg-notebook-lcd-display-panels/

No support from them either. i think at the moment AMD/Team red is the lesser of 2 evils.

On a more helpful note. If you have an m17x r2, your 330 w powersupply must be modded with a 240w id chip in order for the m17x r2 to actually make use of the extra wattage.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/5072-%5Bguide%5D-dell-330w-power-adapter-mod-m17x.html

I did this mod but built it into my 330W PSU.

After i did this my scores improved drastically. If you have a clevo with a dell powersupply you need to ground the center pin in the power supply connector to force the 330w into full power mode. if you have a clevo psu, sorry i wont be any help!

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-920XM Processor,Alienware

Also make sure your xfire option is turned on in the catalyst control center.

Hi man!

I am a little bit frustrated, I have better benchmarks with 1 graphic instead with 2... I never get this working properly. I saw v bios version (the same) , disassembly the graphics, swap then, tried then separately , bought a new PSU (330 delta), tried millions of drivers, win 7, 8.1 and 10, and the result is always the same, worse results with 2 graphics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi man!

Your HDMi should work, it worked for me. I'm saying that when you do use it, it might be detected as you using your DisplayPort.

But before you do that I would suggest you update your motherboard BIOS to the latest if you have not done so already. From what I understand the P370EM supports the 7970M Crossfire configuration officially so you shouldnt be having these issues.

It would be interesting to note what your graphic cards are doing when you're running in Crossfire mode. You can open two instances of GPU-Z, one for each card and enable logging. Then play the game and exit and see what your cards are doing. It could be that for some reason your cards aren't really running in full 3D mode settings when in Crossfire.

• Guest changed the title to [vBIOS MOD] CLEVO 7970M vBIOS Pack (Non-Enduro)