GT650m/750m Highest Stable/Gaming Overclock?

ibebyi

I was just wondering what GPU clocks people with the GT 650m/750m here were gaming at.

As a disclaimer for those unfamiliar, I understand overclocking hardware is an almost surefire way to shorten its lifespan so please don't bother with posts warning of temperatures or hw damage. I also understand that there are variances within the manufacturing processes for each of our GPUs so they will not all overclock to the same level. Still, I was hoping for some numbers:

I'll start. If you could include the following:

Core: 1150mhz

Mem: 2400mhz

ASIC 1: 78.9%

ASIC 2: 78.6%

Voltage: 1.075V which drops to 1.037V (anyone know why these cards do this?)

Max temp under load (witcher 2): 81C (ultrabay-- too high?)

I've found removing the battery lowers the temps by a degree or two, disabling hyperthreading gives you back like 5C, and laptop coolers give you like 3-5C..

GT 650M SLI

GPU0 ASIC quality 78.0%

GPU1 ASIC quality 84.5%

1120/2250 @ stock volts (1.000 V)

Max temp: <80 C (varies with games and ambient temp)

Using a laptop cooler and ThrottleStop turned on.

I also achieved 1260/2250 @ 1.137 V, but this was useful only for benching as the GPU's reached 97C in games and started throttling. I never tried to find my highest stable overclock and overvolt within normal temperatures as I'm not interested in running on increased voltage 24/7 due to lifespan concerns.

Like you, I also noticed that the voltage drops down 37.5 mV after a while and stays there. I base my numbers off of what it drops down to since that is the actual voltage it is maintaining in games and applications.

I suggest people posting their highest overclocks on stock voltage, since that is the easiest way to tell how good your GPU is. Once we introduce voltage into the equation, there's just too much variance, not to mention many people may not want to or know how to overvolt.

And we should guess that you are using 650M, right?

Of course, if it were the 750M he'd be undervolting and underclocking the memory.

GT 650M SLI

GPU0 ASIC quality 78.0%

GPU1 ASIC quality 84.5%

I also achieved 1260/2250 @ 1.137 V, but this was useful only for benching as the GPU's reached 97C in games and started throttling. I never tried to find my highest stable overclock and overvolt within normal temperatures as I'm not interested in running on increased voltage 24/7 due to lifespan concerns.

Like you, I also noticed that the voltage drops down 37.5 mV after a while and stays there. I base my numbers off of what it drops down to since that is the actual voltage it is maintaining in games and applications.

I suggest people posting their highest overclocks on stock voltage, since that is the easiest way to tell how good your GPU is. Once we introduce voltage into the equation, there's just too much variance, not to mention many people may not want to or know how to overvolt.

Of course, if it were the 750M he'd be undervolting and underclocking the memory.

I tried your clocks with the stock voltage and the temps were great! Though due to the voltage being at stock, games would crash and revert to stock clocks after a while running. when I attempt to up the voltage, temps just seem to get significantly higher even with the smallest of voltage increase. Do you notice this yourself? Or is this a problem exclusive to me.

Running 650m SLI.

I tried your clocks with the stock voltage and the temps were great! Though due to the voltage being at stock, games would crash and revert to stock clocks after a while running. when I attempt to up the voltage, temps just seem to get significantly higher even with the smallest of voltage increase. Do you notice this yourself? Or is this a problem exclusive to me.

Running 650m SLI.

GT 650M SLI

GPU0 ASIC quality 78.0%

GPU1 ASIC quality 84.5%

What kind of gaming performance did you see? I have tried overclocking my 750m but never saw that much in improvement for the heat generated.

Oh massive difference, about 30% faster in games across the board. The GPU barely got hotter but the performance increase was like upgrading to an entirely new GPU.

Every time I mess with overclocking my 750M it seems the temps go up about 10C, into the 90s. I am not sure its worth the heat.

Yeah the 750M does run a bit hotter due to the increased voltage. I never even break 80C on my overclocked 650M's.

Hhhmmm...is that voltage safe for the long term? When I bumped mine up I stopped when I got to 1260 MHz @ 1.137 V because that is what the voltage of the desktop GTX 650 tops out at when adjusting in software. Nvidia must've imposed that limit for a reason. Anyway, mine was not viable outside of benching as it would easily get up to 97-98C in games and start throttling. I even repasted and use a cooling pad. I'm surprised you can run below 90C on yours. But where I live it's pretty hot during the summer so that may have something to do with it. My CPU on the other hand hasn't gone above 90C yet and I'm using ThrottleStop to ensure maximum Turbo Boost. It usually tops out at around 85C in CPU-heavy games unless the day is really hot.

No idea how your cpu temps are so low. Didn't your older one have very high CPU temps? I remember I tried metro last light with everything maxed out when i first got it, and it cooked the s*** out of GPU and CPU nearly to thermal shutdown (and I would've been more comfortable if it had actually shut down before that point). Learned to ease up on the CPU with throttlestop after that :P. The voltage stability really depends on the game. I've been running it at 1.137 with 1215 Mhz lately while playing older games, but Tomb Raider requires me to increase the voltage to at least 1.15 to avoid any artifacts. I can push the system up to 1.175 with very intense games and maintain full stability and mild GPU temps. For my system, 1215 Mhz is the point where any increase has greatly diminishing returns since the voltage has to go up a lot to stably push the clocks up just a little, and even then the heat output increases too much. Otherwise, it runs between 1.137 and 1.175 24/7 while plugged in just fine.

No idea how your cpu temps are so low. Didn't your older one have very high CPU temps? I remember I tried metro last light with everything maxed out when i first got it, and it cooked the s*** out of GPU and CPU nearly to thermal shutdown (and I would've been more comfortable if it had actually shut down before that point). Learned to ease up on the CPU with throttlestop after that :P. The voltage stability really depends on the game. I've been running it at 1.137 with 1215 Mhz lately while playing older games, but Tomb Raider requires me to increase the voltage to at least 1.15 to avoid any artifacts. I can push the system up to 1.175 with very intense games and maintain full stability and mild GPU temps. For my system, 1215 Mhz is the point where any increase has greatly diminishing returns since the voltage has to go up a lot to stably push the clocks up just a little, and even then the heat output increases too much. Otherwise, it runs between 1.137 and 1.175 24/7 while plugged in just fine.

Yeah the unit I had before this one had a really hot CPU like everyone else's. But I never opened it up. This one was already running cooler out of the box, and temperatures went down further after I repasted.

lately I've been gaming at 1150 core 2400 mem @ 1050mV and it feels just right. I was wondering tho, in Witcher 2 I'm reaching temps upwards of 85C on my ultrabay GPU (luckily about 12C less on the internal GPU). Do you think these temperatures are destructive in the short-mid term (like 2-3 years max)?

• Thumbs Up 1

lately I've been gaming at 1150 core 2400 mem @ 1050mV and it feels just right. I was wondering tho, in Witcher 2 I'm reaching temps upwards of 85C on my ultrabay GPU (luckily about 12C less on the internal GPU). Do you think these temperatures are destructive in the short-mid term (like 2-3 years max)?

It's fine, that's well within spec. Your GPU will start throttling at 97C to prevent damage. It's only temperatures over 100C that could be harmful if sustained for long periods of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later...

I will say I had an HP DV6 with a X920 and a 5650M in it, and it ran hot (90-95 C) consistently during gaming. I gamed a fair amount. The laptop lasted 3 years before the mobo (probably the GPU) had issues. I baked it and it worked, for about 6 months. Then I had to bake it again. 3 months, then I had to bake it again. I got a new laptop since it seemed to be following an exponential curve to death.

The laptop lasted 3 months under 4 years at those temperatures. But, it was an HP. Depends how much your manufacturer cut corners on the mobo components. Friends' Macbook Pro runs just as hot regularly and has never had an issue for 6 years now.

• 1 month later...

Gt650m sli 1190/2600 1.1125V Max temp 85C. During gaming max temp 77c. 3dmark firestrike score NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID. :D Going to push a bit more someday. Heaven benchmark 600. My target is 4000 in firestrike. Oh! and i beated the best gt750m sli firestrike score... Thank you svl7!

750M SLI 1228/2750 @ 1.125 is pretty stable for me, I've tested before on the stock voltage of 1.100V and it seemed stable after over an hour of gaming, but I do the +25.0 mV kind of for a "just in case" type of deal. My first GPU never goes past 80 when gaming, and my second GPU never goes past 90. And this is playing Crysis 3 on Very High settings, multiplayer @ 1920x1080. It also seems that my first GPU can handle overclocks better than my ultrabay, for instance, it survived 1264/2800 in 3DMark benchmarks and as you can see from: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4200M,LENOVO VIQY0Y1 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4200M,LENOVO VIQY0Y1, it rivals other laptops nicely, especially for being the weaker i5-4200M variant(Still would love to have the i7 model though v.v..)

• 3 weeks later...
I was just wondering what GPU clocks people with the GT 650m/750m here were gaming at.

As a disclaimer for those unfamiliar, I understand overclocking hardware is an almost surefire way to shorten its lifespan so please don't bother with posts warning of temperatures or hw damage. I also understand that there are variances within the manufacturing processes for each of our GPUs so they will not all overclock to the same level. Still, I was hoping for some numbers:

I'll start. If you could include the following:

Core: 1150mhz

Mem: 2400mhz

ASIC 1: 78.9%

ASIC 2: 78.6%

Voltage: 1.075V which drops to 1.037V (anyone know why these cards do this?)

Max temp under load (witcher 2): 81C (ultrabay-- too high?)

I've found removing the battery lowers the temps by a degree or two, disabling hyperthreading gives you back like 5C, and laptop coolers give you like 3-5C..

I can get to

Core 1200mhz

Men 2400

ASIC 1 77%

ASIC 2 77.5%

Voltage 1.00

Max temp 85c

I can get to

Core 1200mhz

Men 2400

ASIC 1 77%

ASIC 2 77.5%

Voltage 1.00

Max temp 85c

Is this actually stable on an overnight run of Unigine Heaven at max settings?! o_O

Pretty crazy if true. You must've lucked out and gotten a golden sample or something. That's by far the highest overclock I've ever seen on stock voltage. I can only get 1150 MHz core @ 1.050 V and 2250 MHz memory on my 650M SLI. 78.0% and 84.5% ASIC quality on primary and Ultrabay respectively.

I can get to

Core 1200mhz

Men 2400

ASIC 1 77%

ASIC 2 77.5%

Voltage 1.00

Max temp 85c

I have 750m SLI and I was able to get stalbe:

Core: 1158MHz

Mem: 2750MHz

and my max temp. were 87C on 1st Card and 95-96C on ultrabay (Witcher 2 after 30mins of playing)