Lenovo y500 i5 Msata or SSD

LeGiTzZNL

I got the i7, and mine did not come with the mSATA at all. The one I got has a 1TB HDD spinner. With that said, It was 3 days before I bought a 256 GB mSATA to install in the empty mPCIe slot. I already had a version of Win8, so I just did a new install (with some basic hacks to get it to work). From what I read, the mSATA only would run at SATA II speeds. This is not true in my case. ran mulitiple tests and found that the drive is running at SATA III. My windows score for the drive is an 8.9 as well (not that that means anything). My boot time from complete power off is 12 seconds with the upgrade. Now I have a 256 GB boot drive and a 1 TB storage drive. I hope this helps your decision.

I got mine without any ssd from newegg and just installed a 256GB msata from muskin as the primary drive.

installed without issue, but didn't have a screw to mount it in place, actually had to break down and go to a tech store for a darn screw.

QM

I got the i7, and mine did not come with the mSATA at all. The one I got has a 1TB HDD spinner. With that said, It was 3 days before I bought a 256 GB mSATA to install in the empty mPCIe slot. I already had a version of Win8, so I just did a new install (with some basic hacks to get it to work). From what I read, the mSATA only would run at SATA II speeds. This is not true in my case. ran mulitiple tests and found that the drive is running at SATA III. My windows score for the drive is an 8.9 as well (not that that means anything). My boot time from complete power off is 12 seconds with the upgrade. Now I have a 256 GB boot drive and a 1 TB storage drive. I hope this helps your decision.

i ended up buying an msata to sata adapter from newegg, because mine wouldn't find the msata drive everytime. Just changing it from one side to the other worked perfectly tho.

i bought a mushkin msata from newegg. sata 3 6GB/s and it works. it wasn't too expensive either.

QM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
So would you have to reinstall Windows on the new mSATA SSD if you plan on using the 1 TB HDD as a secondary drive?

I believe that is correct. Though I bought my Y500 with the mSATA empty and decided to go with a 32GB Crucial SSD for cache. Even with that setup boot time is very quick, under 10 seconds. And whatever games or applications you use the most get cached and load time is pretty good. It isnt ever going to be as good as going full SSD. Though at this point the cache seems to work well enough for me. As mentioned make sure you have the right screw. I didn't and I was lucky I was able to salvage a screw out of an old floppy drive caddy that worked. Another reason to keep old crap I guess.