y500 windows 7 + gt750m Sli bay?

Robbin Van Wilgen

I recently installed windows 7 on my y500 (by buying a 2nd hdd because i don't wanna void my warrenty...)

but i wonder if SLI is working on windows 7, i'm planning to buy a SLI bay for my gt750m if lenovo release those puppy's

i saw on couple of forums that they cancel the release for it can some one fill me in please :)

yes, im a noob with laptops always build up my own desktop pc's laptop's are something new for me!

I recently installed windows 7 on my y500 (by buying a 2nd hdd because i don't wanna void my warrenty...)

but i wonder if SLI is working on windows 7, i'm planning to buy a SLI bay for my gt750m if lenovo release those puppy's

i saw on couple of forums that they cancel the release for it can some one fill me in please :)

yes, im a noob with laptops always build up my own desktop pc's laptop's are something new for me!

Well, from what I was able to gather after sifting through a few forums similar to TI, nobody really knows if they will be released or not. I am in the same boat, I have the single 750m and just use HDD caddy in my 2nd bay. Although atm it is empty because the HDD that came with the laptop died :/.

I dont believe installng windows 7 voids your warranty, because the WIN8 license is built into the BIOS. I swapped the HD out simply because it spins at 5400rpm and I am a gamer. I believe just flashing the bios to something other then stock files from there website will void the warranty. Lenovo has already released the y500 caddies and according to other y500 owners the y510 graphics caddy works also with the y500 best of luck with your purchase hope this helped.

Y500 750m SLI Ultrabay sold seperatly? - Lenovo Community

• 1 month later...

I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate on my Lenovo Y510P and SLI runs great. I'm not sure if this directly relates to the Y500. I do know they're quite similar, so I thought I'd chime in as I don't have any major problems.

The one thing that I did have to do was go within the NVIDIA Control Panel and under 3D Settings > Set SLI and PhysX Configuration and change the radial from the default of "Disable SLI" to "Maximize 3D Performance". That fired up SLI and it's been working since. I have noticed that when I upgrade drivers I need to go in and reconfigure it. Sometimes it seems to set it back to "Disable SLI" for some reason / shrug. It's a quick easy fix though.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick question. Let say I've installed a new mSATA, and installed w8 on the mSATA. Does the BIOS with the configured w8 orginal keys automatically detect the new w8 and validates it?

I'm not sure, but would like to know as well. I do know that the bios is flagged for OEM Windows 8, but I don't know how it operates with this new sucktastic version of Windows

Just a quick question. Let say I've installed a new mSATA, and installed w8 on the mSATA. Does the BIOS with the configured w8 orginal keys automatically detect the new w8 and validates it?

i think not , i saw some1 posted that you need to make a copy of the drive you are using to the mSata , but you may lose the one key recovery function unless u let lenovo do the installation for you

Not the OP, but for me the biggest reason is compatibility. I work from home and there are some legacy programs that don't support Windows 8. Computer issues aren't something that I can bill a client for. It just needs to work.

Secondly, I'm just not a fan. I hate the tablet'esque interface. I know more than enough about computers to get by and my impression is that Windows 8 is the layman's OS.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old topic, but was there anything specific that had to be gone to get SLI working on windows 7?

When I insert my second module the system doesn't detect that there are two - the Nvidia program won't even open because it says there is no Nvidia device. I did use the latest drivers from their site as opposed to Lenovo so don't know if that matters,