MSI GX60 Laptop overclock

Valeral

You can lock the CPU to never run slower than 2.7ghz, but as for actual overclocking that is not possible (unless AMD reference clock documentation gets leaked).

How to lock to 2.7ghz and 3.2ghz:

There is no program that does it properly, so you need to do it directly with PCI config space writes. I use BAR-EDIT on the trinity laptop I have access to. The way the method works is you just limit the number of P-states the processor is allowed to use. PScheck can do this, but it neglects changing what P-state the CPU goes into C6 in, which is set by default to a state that is no longer available, thus breaking the top turbo bin.

B0D24F3xDC clear bits 9 and 10 (in english: on bus 0, device 24, function 3, offset 0xDC, make bits 9 and 10 equal to 0)

To then fix top turbo:

B0D24F3xA8 clear bits 30 and 31

These changes net a consistent 9-12% raw performance gain in multithreaded programs. In games the difference is actually more noticeable since without this fix the CPU will randomly drop as low as 1.6ghz for me, which is just flat out dumb and causes major stutter.

cinebench throttle fix vs no fix: http://i.imgur.com/Ov8Wkhk.jpg (this fix alone only gets to 2.27, not 2.29. I also lowered memory timings a little for the 2.29)

cpu only hits low 70s in P95 with this fix and an undervolt. Undervolt can be done with AmdMsrTweaker or manually with MSR writes.

This multiplier lock does cause problems when the IGP is active since the CPU will try to exceed its TDP, which does not work. This causes stuttering in games, but for pure CPU tasks this works fine. I'm trying to figure out how to get the CPU to recalculate power draw after lowering the voltage to prevent this stutter.

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe that there should be an a10-5750m on the market some time soon, if not already. I believe it was 15% faster that the a10-4600m, and gains a particularly hefty percentage in when you lock it at full speed due to much higher peak clock speed.

Its not a free solution but its there.

I believe that there should be an a10-5750m on the market some time soon, if not already. I believe it was 15% faster that the a10-4600m, and gains a particularly hefty percentage in when you lock it at full speed due to much higher peak clock speed.

Its not a free solution but its there.

Yeah but I don't know if it requires a BIOS update or not. The APU laptop I have has a BIOS so bad that it does not set memory SPD timings, but always sets 11-11-12-36 1600MHz. On ebay the a10-5750 is around $180 and it is a nice CPU upgrade if it works. Supposedly there is an unlocked ES version that lets you raise the TDP and overclock.

Yeah but I don't know if it requires a BIOS update or not. The APU laptop I have has a BIOS so bad that it does not set memory SPD timings, but always sets 11-11-12-36 1600MHz. On ebay the a10-5750 is around $180 and it is a nice CPU upgrade if it works. Supposedly there is an unlocked ES version that lets you raise the TDP and overclock.

Be warned that the ES models weren't designed for public use and as such do not have all the kinks worked out, they are not as stable as the regular model, and they dont overclock as high as the turbo clock speed, so locking a regular model at the max clock speed would serve you just as well. Of course, I have never heard a single person say that ES models don't do what their supposed to, or are worryingly unstable :P

Be warned that the ES models weren't designed for public use and as such do not have all the kinks worked out, they are not as stable as the regular model, and they dont overclock as high as the turbo clock speed, so locking a regular model at the max clock speed would serve you just as well. Of course, I have never heard a single person say that ES models don't do what their supposed to, or are worryingly unstable :P

Are you speaking generally about ES CPUs or do you have knowledge of the 5750m ES? Some ES's have issues while others don't. Intel ES traditionally has problems with temp sensors but are otherwise fine with the same performance and overclocking ability. I do not know about AMD.

If the unlocked ES available for the 5750m is the same revision as OEM then it will perform just like the official CPUs. If not then you need to count on the BIOS being able to properly load an ES microcode, which is not always a given.

Are you speaking generally about ES CPUs or do you have knowledge of the 5750m ES? Some ES's have issues while others don't. Intel ES traditionally has problems with temp sensors but are otherwise fine with the same performance and overclocking ability. I do not know about AMD.

If the unlocked ES available for the 5750m is the same revision as OEM then it will perform just like the official CPUs. If not then you need to count on the BIOS being able to properly load an ES microcode, which is not always a given.

I dont have a link, i just remember when researching the a10-5750 a forum somewhere in the nether said some eastern gentlemen got their hands on a couple ES models early and did some benchmarking and had stated that they had stability issues compared to the a10-4600m.

• 1 month later...
You can lock the CPU to never run slower than 2.7ghz, but as for actual overclocking that is not possible (unless AMD reference clock documentation gets leaked).

There is no program that does it properly, so you need to do it directly with PCI config space writes. I use BAR-EDIT on the trinity laptop I have access to. The way the method works is you just limit the number of P-states the processor is allowed to use. PScheck can do this, but it neglects changing what P-state the CPU goes into C6 in, which is set by default to a state that is no longer available, thus breaking the top turbo bin.

B0D24F3xDC clear bits 9 and 10 (in english: on bus 0, device 24, function 3, offset 0xDC, make bits 9 and 10 equal to 0)

To then fix top turbo:

These changes net a consistent 9-12% raw performance gain in multithreaded programs. In games the difference is actually more noticeable since without this fix the CPU will randomly drop as low as 1.6ghz for me, which is just flat out dumb and causes major stutter.

cinebench throttle fix vs no fix: http://i.imgur.com/Ov8Wkhk.jpg (this fix alone only gets to 2.27, not 2.29. I also lowered memory timings a little for the 2.29)

cpu only hits low 70s in P95 with this fix and an undervolt. Undervolt can be done with AmdMsrTweaker or manually with MSR writes.

This multiplier lock does cause problems when the IGP is active since the CPU will try to exceed its TDP, which does not work. This causes stuttering in games, but for pure CPU tasks this works fine. I'm trying to figure out how to get the CPU to recalculate power draw after lowering the voltage to prevent this stutter.

Hi there Khenglish

Would you be able to expand a little on the overclock you described above? None of the methods you described above are known about on all the other GX60/70 forums so I'd like to flesh them out because we are in desperate need of giving our CPU a boost!

I own the GX60 with the a10-5750m and admit I'm not the most capable over clocker..

Firstly you described the "cinebench throttle fix" which netted you a 5% boost, but I can't find reference anywhere to what the fix actually is?

Secondly what system did you test the changes with BAR-EDIT with? I noticed that for the 4600m vs 5750m the commands you described are identical but the only change is what it's locked to (2.7/3.2Ghz vs 3/3.5Ghz).

Because so many people without as much knowledge as you have bricked their systems I was hoping for a pretty basic step by step to arrive at that point and also just if you could shed some light on the potential to break things? Same goes of the AmdMsrTweaker.

I realise it is a lot that I'm asking for but there is a whole community for gx60/70 owners that are desperately searching for ways to squeeze more out of our APU's, you seem to have some of the answers so if you can make it a little more fool proof I can pass it on in the other user lounges etc (If you look here

*The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge* - Page 266

You'll see that people are starting to give up and sell their GX60s!)

Thanks in advance man, you're a legend!

Hi there Khenglish

Would you be able to expand a little on the overclock you described above? None of the methods you described above are known about on all the other GX60/70 forums so I'd like to flesh them out because we are in desperate need of giving our CPU a boost!

I own the GX60 with the a10-5750m and admit I'm not the most capable over clocker..

Firstly you described the "cinebench throttle fix" which netted you a 5% boost, but I can't find reference anywhere to what the fix actually is?

Secondly what system did you test the changes with BAR-EDIT with? I noticed that for the 4600m vs 5750m the commands you described are identical but the only change is what it's locked to (2.7/3.2Ghz vs 3/3.5Ghz).

Because so many people without as much knowledge as you have bricked their systems I was hoping for a pretty basic step by step to arrive at that point and also just if you could shed some light on the potential to break things? Same goes of the AmdMsrTweaker.

I realise it is a lot that I'm asking for but there is a whole community for gx60/70 owners that are desperately searching for ways to squeeze more out of our APU's, you seem to have some of the answers so if you can make it a little more fool proof I can pass it on in the other user lounges etc (If you look here

*The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge* - Page 266

You'll see that people are starting to give up and sell their GX60s!)

Thanks in advance man, you're a legend!

There's really not much more to say. Power limiting features will cause the CPU to throttle down from whatever your 2nd boost level is (2.7ghz for 4600m, 3.0ghz for 5750m) when all cores are maxed. This disables those lower power states so that throttling is impossible. I did this on a 4600m.</br></br>As for danger to hardware there is going to be a small increase in power draw when the CPU is fully loaded which may stress the VRM and FETs more, but it should not be enough to be dangerous. There is no risk of a brick from using BAR-EDIT or AmdMsrTweaker. All changes are reset on power down. </br></br>For a while I thought that I was getting stuttering due to this tweak, but I found the same stuttering to occur without the tweak as well. The only real side effect I got is that since lower power states are disabled, the laptop cannot power itself off. When shutting down you will either need to revert the bar edit change, or hold the power button down in a similar situation to the old AT PSU days with, "It is now OK to turn off your computer". The HDD and most other hardware is off, so there is no data loss danger.

Thanks Kenglish

I've posted your methods at the *The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge* - Page 277 (referenced to you of course) and early results are quite positive.

Thanks again for all the help! you seem to be the only one on the internet who has all this knowledge so we're very lucky to have you share it with us

Hey Kenglish

post-17140-14494996129447_thumb.jpg

We're trying out your method now and on the a10-5750m the cinebench improvement is impressive as you can see.

The improvement is a little harder to see in games though, with it the cores basically all stay locked at 3.2Ghz, when idiling I see the first two occasionally bump up to 3.5ghz but not when used.

Do you know if there's anyway to lock say two cores at 3.5ghz and two at 3.2Ghz?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi all

my gx60 3be really hot hd8970m load fur cry3, crysis3, metro2033 temperature reaches 102 degrees Celsius. While trolling is not happening and frequency are not lowered. Thermal grease was replaced by the MX-2, but the temperature load still remains as high. Without load temperature of 45 degrees Celsius. Like to know what are your temperature with that GPU. I think the reason is in the high voltage on the kernel 1.1 volts

Sorry for my English

• 1 month later...

I have the GX60 with A10-5750 and 8970m.

Now i tried to OC the 8970.

I disabled ULPS in Windows Reg. and now work MSI Afterburner.

Here my normal stock Benches before disabled ULPS and use Afterburner:

3dmarkpbovx.jpg furmark_stock6fpiz.jpg

But after i use MSI Afterburner with the stock 950MHz GPU , GPU-z shows always 950MHz, it stays now on 950 and don´t drop to 300 without load.

And now in Furmark my FPS jump from 44 to 68 :eek:

futuremark_strange43s92.jpg

Whats this??

Same MHz but 24FPS more ??

I don't understand why?

And In 3DMark are all normal!

No more FPS or Points like stock.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9205 mit Tapatalk 2

I have the GX60 with A10-5750 and 8970m.

Now i tried to OC the 8970.

I disabled ULPS in Windows Reg. and now work MSI Afterburner.

Here my normal stock Benches before disabled ULPS and use Afterburner:

3dmarkpbovx.jpg furmark_stock6fpiz.jpg

But after i use MSI Afterburner with the stock 950MHz GPU , GPU-z shows always 950MHz, it stays now on 950 and don´t drop to 300 without load.

And now in Furmark my FPS jump from 44 to 68 :eek:

futuremark_strange43s92.jpg

Whats this??

Same MHz but 24FPS more ??

I don't understand why?

And In 3DMark are all normal!

No more FPS or Points like stock.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9205 mit Tapatalk 2

Could you explain me how did you achieve this?

I've the same PC.

@Micky

yes i can.

Open Windows "regedit" and go to

hkey_local_machine

system, ControlSet001

control, class

4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318

000 folder

in registry editor you want enableulps values ​​point out right click to modify is 1 change to 0 enableulps_na accept and do the same, folder 002 enableulps change from 1 to 0, restart the laptop

now you can use MSI Afterburner

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there Guys

In case there's someone out there that wants an idiot-proof step by step guide of Kenglish's fix I've Made one and worked it into one picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9379[/ATTACH]

Enjoy!

Hate to ask, but I cant view that image. Can anyone post another link to it or something? I've been trying to get some better performance out of this horrible 5750m for months :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To then fix top turbo:

Were you ever able to make this work while the IGPU is under load? Is it even possible while keeping it under TDP? Your help is very much needed if you were successful in doing so. All my attempts at this bring my 5750m to a stutter when the GPU is in use. Also, i read that you were able to lower CAS latency..? How did you do this? I didnt want to bring up an older thread but i had no other way of contacting you and many questions that you have the knowledge about.