780m GTX Overclocking

Hello all! I am a current owner of an MSI GT70 20D. The GPU runs great and all, and this is the fastest laptop gpu i've had to date. I've seen various overclocking/vbios flashes with Sager/Clevos on other sites, but I haven't seen any people with an MSI GT60 or 70 post overclocking benchmark results with a flashed msi 780m gtx. The only overclocking with this laptop ive done is with msi afterburner, just a software overclock. The highest GPU score i'm able to achieve is around 8500, and afterburner doesn't go higher than 135 core.

Now the question is, if i were to flash the vbios, change the voltage settings around, what kind of typical performance increase would i be able to expect on a 180w PSU with hybrid power? Would I be able to hit 9000+ in 3d mark? or will my system not be able to provide enough power. Also would a 240w be better? Ive seen people on other sites hit 10000+ with their overclocks, but for the most part I've seen around the 9000-9500 mark but the gpus were clevo 780ms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you know if the gt60/gt70 can actually utilize a lager psu? Or is it BIOS locked to only use a max of 180W?

Ive heard people using 240W dell PSUs on their MSIs, but they run about 120 bucks or so. Also im a bit hesitant to do a vBIOS flash because this pc is fairly new, and I would haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate to brick the card on a 2,300 dollar laptop. Also i've never does a vBIOS flash before but i'd be willing to try. I wish the MSIs came with better psus, as hybrid power simply cannot compensate enough for the lack of power for this pc.

I have a feeling anything over low 9000s will run into a power issue. The Kepler line is one hell of an overclocking line. I just learned yesterday some users have been pushing their P3500 stock 670mxs to around 6500 gpu scores, which to me is absolutely unreal.

Ive heard people using 240W dell PSUs on their MSIs, but they run about 120 bucks or so. Also im a bit hesitant to do a vBIOS flash because this pc is fairly new, and I would haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate to brick the card on a 2,300 dollar laptop. Also i've never does a vBIOS flash before but i'd be willing to try. I wish the MSIs came with better psus, as hybrid power simply cannot compensate enough for the lack of power for this pc.

I have a feeling anything over low 9000s will run into a power issue. The Kepler line is one hell of an overclocking line. I just learned yesterday some users have been pushing their P3500 stock 670mxs to around 6500 gpu scores, which to me is absolutely unreal.

Flashing is easy! There is a great guide on here that will help you and you can always make a backup of your stock vbios. I think i may try the dell PSU however i was concerned thst the msi bios is locked to only utilize the 180 watt PSU because of the "hybrid" feature. BTW if you haven't pasted with IC diamond you might want to do that. Load temps are almost down 7-10c on GPU and CPU. I have always been an AS3-5 person too. I'm at P8700 right now can't seem to get into the 9s having stablitiy issues. Seems like the last test on 3dmark11 keeps crashing. 1020 core clock 1500(3000 combined) mem clock +37.5mv.

Whats your GPU score? if you have a 4700mq, then you're probably reaching around 9000-9200 on your GPU score. I think the 240w PSU is a dell slim or something like that, i'll have to look it up again.

*edit* andfor the vbios flash all i'd need is nvflash, the files, a usb stick and knowing the commands?

Whats your GPU score? if you have a 4700mq, then you're probably reaching around 9000-9200 on your GPU score. I think the 240w PSU is a dell slim or something like that, i'll have to look it up again.

*edit* andfor the vbios flash all i'd need is nvflash, the files, a usb stick and knowing the commands?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Ya GPU score is in the 9s. Don't know the exact number off hand my notes are on my desk.

You are correct for the vbios flash. There is a guide on how to correctly make the bootable flash drive which IMO is the hardest part of the process lol. Always make a backup of your stock vbios.

As for the PSU I do believe youre correct on it being a slim brick. I think I may just go ahead and order one and do some testing. I hope that us MSI users can actually utilize the extra wattage though. I can't find a definitive answer if the wattage is BIOS locked.

Svl7, I appreciate everything you are doing for the community!

hopefully someone will figure out a way to circumvent this problem. 780ms with a 240w or higher PSUs are able to break 10k+ GPU scores with a modded vBIOS

Ya. Maybe slv7 can figure something out for us stuck with the gt60/70 haswell notebooks.

• 3 weeks later...
With the 780m vbios posted here P10000 graphics score in 3dm11 is totally doable. However 180W are simply not sufficient. I'm not sure how far you can push the card in your system before running into performance issues, only way to find out is by trying.

Thanks so much, I was afraid this Alienware 17 wouldn't be all I was hoping for.

Hey guys.

Which PSU do you recommend for Clevo P150EM or P150SM ? I want a 240W+ PSU that fits into P150EM plug. Any idea?

Thanks

180W is the strongest for the P150EM/SM plug. To go higher you need to switch out either the motherboard connector or the PSU connector.

As for what PSU to get with a mod, I like the m18x 330W PSU the best. It's cheap, high power, and seems high quality. Beware that an additional mod must be made to the PSU though to make it supply over 240W. If you do not want to do this additional mod then I recommend the m17x 240W PSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

180W is the strongest for the P150EM/SM plug. To go higher you need to switch out either the motherboard connector or the PSU connector.

As for what PSU to get with a mod, I like the m18x 330W PSU the best. It's cheap, high power, and seems high quality. Beware that an additional mod must be made to the PSU though to make it supply over 240W. If you do not want to do this additional mod then I recommend the m17x 240W PSU.

Thanks man.

But how can I change the PSU connector? I have to stripping the wire next to the PSU connector, and then soldering the new connector?

And what mod need to be made on 330W PSU? Is there any tutorial how to do this?

PS: Despite my nickname, I know nothing about power and eletricity... :moody:

Thanks man.

But how can I change the PSU connector? I have to stripping the wire next to the PSU connector, and then soldering the new connector?

And what mod need to be made on 330W PSU? Is there any tutorial how to do this?

PS: Despite my nickname, I know nothing about power and eletricity... :moody:

Some people cut off the PSU connector at the end and others open up the PSU and swap out the cable for a cleaner look. Either way works. You can find the connector the P150 uses in many AC-DC adapters for random electronics.

For the m18x 330W PSU you need to connect the ID line to ground. The ID line is the green wire and ground is the black wire. This can be done on either the cable or inside the PSU on the terminals.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Can someone please reply with a link for the said PSU dell slim 240w? I am very interested.

It seems a 780m equipped Asus G750 is a rarity around here.. guessing probably because of it's cost vs. what you can get for less money from Sager/Clevo/MSI. Anyways, it comes with a 230watt PSU.. I am hoping this will be sufficient for overclocking to maximum levels? Anybody know?

I have an MSI GT60 with a 240 Dell PSU. It works flawlessly with my 680M vcard. Due to freaking overcloking, my gpu died cos of overvolting to 1.5 volts (I should have stick to 1.25 volts file) vbios and I am opting for a GTX 780m soon. In any case you can look under MSI thread. I posted there the link where to get those 240watts adapters etc..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello all! I am a current owner of an MSI GT70 20D. The GPU runs great and all, and this is the fastest laptop gpu i've had to date. I've seen various overclocking/vbios flashes with Sager/Clevos on other sites, but I haven't seen any people with an MSI GT60 or 70 post overclocking benchmark results with a flashed msi 780m gtx. The only overclocking with this laptop ive done is with msi afterburner, just a software overclock. The highest GPU score i'm able to achieve is around 8500, and afterburner doesn't go higher than 135 core.

Now the question is, if i were to flash the vbios, change the voltage settings around, what kind of typical performance increase would i be able to expect on a 180w PSU with hybrid power? Would I be able to hit 9000+ in 3d mark? or will my system not be able to provide enough power. Also would a 240w be better? Ive seen people on other sites hit 10000+ with their overclocks, but for the most part I've seen around the 9000-9500 mark but the gpus were clevo 780ms.

Have you had any luck with it so far? I wana do the same, except I have an asus laptop.