Clevo P151SM1B : GTX 770M only runs at a max core clock of 705.5 mhz

Question

I noticed that my GPU will only run at a max core clock of 705.5 mhz for most games, evne though power management for the card is set to "prefer maximum performance".

Nvidia support says that max performance will make the card run at full speed all the time, which is clearly not happening here. They say that this is a VBIOS issue that only the laptop manufacturer can resolve.

Does anyone with a GTX 770M on a clevo laptop experience this?

This doesn't happen for all games, just most of them.

That's absolutely correct, that's the default clock of the vbios. Anything above is "boost" and not guaranteed at all, look at it as a 'bonus'.

One more example of why I don't like this hyped "boost" stuff.

Not sure why exactly you don't get boost, but it's most likely a BIOS issue, it's possible that Clevo doesn't allow boost in your system or restricts the card with additional power / temp limits etc.

But the GTX 770M is listed as having a core clock of 811 mhz on the nvidia site? A nvidia rep confirmed that it is supposed to have a base core clock of 811 mhz. If i run furmark it actually goes up to 865 mhz, which i suppose is 811 base core + boost.

Is there any way to force the boost to occur?

I know it will occur in furmark for one thing....just not with most of my games.

Temps dont even exceed 50 degrees when i play, it cant be overheating.

But the GTX 770M is listed as having a core clock of 811 mhz on the nvidia site? A nvidia rep confirmed that it is supposed to have a base core clock of 811 mhz. If i run furmark it actually goes up to 865 mhz, which i suppose is 811 base core + boost.

Is there any way to force the boost to occur?

That's only the boost, as I said before. I checked the vbios. Base is definitely not 811MHz, no matter what the Nvidia rep tells you.

You can overclock the card, but that doesn't necessarily give you boost.

Do all GTX 770Ms have a core clock of 705.5 mhz or just clevo ones? Does this mean clevo GTX 770Ms were downclocked?

It's listed with a core clock of 811 : GeForce GTX 770M | Specifications | GeForce

How do you check the vbios? And is there any way to force the turbo boost to happen? Or just get it to run at higher than 705.5 mhz....

Do all GTX 770Ms have a core clock of 705.5 mhz or just clevo ones?

Yes, all vbios I have are set to 705.5MHz default.

Does this mean clevo GTX 770Ms were downclocked?

No.

It's listed with a core clock of 811 : GeForce GTX 770M | Specifications | GeForce

That's not correct.

How do you check the vbios?

With my eyes.

And is there any way to force the turbo boost to happen?

No.

Or just get it to run at higher than 705.5 mhz....

Yes. Overclock it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

can't you use nvidiainspector to force a frequency with a batch file? I'm curious since I have a clevo with 770m on the way. Please let me know since I'm curious :)

Try nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:0,2,810 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2000 -forcepstate:0,0

That's not correct.

Specs say 811MHz + boost: GeForce GTX 770M | Specifications | GeForce

6b1Lup0.jpg

Although I have to say that I never see it dropping below boost speed probably since temps are so low and remains well below TDP. It's when you really want to push your machine that it may become problematic.

Yeah, I know that it's listed like this, but the vbios says differently. 705MHz default clock and a max boost of 862MHz.

Everything above 705MHz is in fact boost.

Of course you can say that the specs are correct but the vbios is wrong... hahaha, but as the vbios dictates how the card is running I recommend looking at it the other way. Also it's easier to mess up one number on a website than several different vbios versions :P