7970M on MSI GT683DXR (16f2)

hal9000ht

Hi all.

I am commited to replace my 570m by a 7970m in a 683dxr,

I have seen a Dell card with vBIOS 015.021 (uefi)

As I have read I think it should work as long as my computer bios has uefi enabled also.

In my current BIOS i have the option:

Legacy USB Support: [Enabled]

Is this the right option? Or shall I flash my computer with an unlocked bios and enable uefi with another option?

Thanks.

Yep sound right.

Use 683 BIOS for your notebook.

If you buy the 7970m heatsink unmodified (so 5870m heatsink from previous MSI), you will need to use a dremel to cut off a couple corners of the heatsink.

Is not any 7970m msi heatsink out there that I can use without dremel?

Otherwise I might go for the 770m cause all would be easier and there would not be a huge performance impact I think.

Once installed the unlocked bios and changed to boot from uefi, would I be able to start the OS (Win7) without further modifications?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally I received and installed the 7970M this week and is working perfectly fine in a GT683DXR (16F2). Just for recap:

- Dell cards with vBios 015.022 are plug and play when booting from legacy mode using the msi unlocked bios

- CPU throttle problems (Far Cry 3 for example) are solved using Throttlestop 4.0 and turning it on

- It may be obvious but a proper 7970M heatsink is needed (or a modded one)

- No x-bracket needed

- Scored P6337 in 3dmark11 using default clocks (AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-16F2) with latest beta drivers

Thanks all