M14x R2 throttling and huge FPS drop... again.

I know, there are many threads about this, but has there been any fix for this incredibly annoying problem? I can't believe they havent fixed this issue as of yet and continue to sell such unstable computers.

I mean, why does it need to throttle at 67 degrees? Thats nothing for a gaming rig and i feel that spending so much money on this "gaming laptop" with such issues is kinda like a huge rip off.

Starting yet another thread to rant about this isn't necessary.

But to answer your questions:

1. Yes. Several, in fact. They're detailed in the many threads here on T|I, at Notebook Review, Alienware Arena, Tom's Hardware and others so I won't bother reiterating them.

2. See Answer #1.

Not sure, I've always wondered though. But as for your throttling problem, I think that you can change the throttling temp on nvidia inspector, not sure where I got that information though, and I'm not sure with which drivers that was done, and I cannot confirm it as I have an R1. But I recall having seen that on another forum, not mentioning the name as I'm not sure how the admins feel about that.

P.S.: As I said, I'm not sure at all, I just think I read that on another forum, so you should just check for yourself as you've got nothing to lose doing so.

• 2 months later...

Actually, there is a bios image on this forum that has the disable BD PROCHOT option. I haven't actually had the overheating issue, since I repasted my system hasn't hit the ceiling, even with the GPU overclocked. Maybe my ambient temperatures are lower than others, I live in a fairly cool part of the world. I do normally disable CPU Turbo (the CPU is massively more powerful than the GPU anyway) to lower fan volume but I've tested with it enabled without issue.

BD PROCHOT, seriously.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x-aw-14/4667-m14x-r2-a13-unlocked-bios-modified-vbios-now-available.html