Transferring OS/Data from HDD to SSD in Laptop using External Hard Drive?

Clearik

Okay guys, I'm completely stumped. I've tried for about the past two days now to transfer all of my data from my current 250gb HDD to my new 128gb SSD in my Alienware M15x. There's only 69.7gb on the old hdd, and I've shrunken the partition down to 106gb to fit into the 128gb (119gb in actuality) SSD. The M15x only has one SATA port (correct term?) for me to fit in an HDD/SSD, so I'm forced to use a 200gb external hard drive (again, the partition shrunken down to 94.1gb to fit into the new SSD) as a "middleman" to transfer the data. I've attempted the "Create a system image" option by creating a system image in the external hard drive, taking out the HDD and replacing it with the SSD, putting in a Windows 7 64x installation disk, and selecting the "Repair my computer" option to recover the system image from the external hard drive into the new SSD. When I try to do so, however, I can an error message stating: "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found."

Another note: When I attempt to create my own system repair disk and use them, I get an error message (I forgot what it said, it was just a bunch of numbers), therefore I'm forced to use a different Windows 7 64x disk I got off the internet (and that I know works). I do have the original Windows 7 64x disk that came with the Alienware M15x, however, when I attempt to use that, I never get the "Repair your computer" option, it only gives me the option to install the OS.

So essentially, here is my question: Does anyone know how I can transfer my OS/data from my old HDD to my new SSD? If you new any more details, or anything else to help me resolve this problem, feel free to ask. Thank you in advance!

"Note: If you have a laptop, this becomes a bit more difficult, since you only have room for one hard drive in your computer. You'll either have to get an SSD big enough to fit all your data, or remove your optical drive and replace it with a second hard drive."

Removing the optical bay was what I was trying to avoid (that was actually the first guide of all of the n + 1 guides I tried). I've decided it would just be easier to get a 2.5" enclosure for the SSD to essentially "cut out the middleman." In which case, I've found a guide for that. Thank you for your help! I'll let y'all know if I stumble upon anymore trouble.

• Founder

I am sure the software can back up the image to an external drive and then restore from it (booting from a usb stick with the soft on it). I've done it several times with acronis true image home.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

I did exactly what you are trying to do with my M15x. I bought the SSD, placed it in a USB 2.0 enclosure (about £10) then used Acronis True Image to clone the current HDD. (You may need to go on Administrative tools and assign the SSD a drive letter so that it shows up in my computer). Then swapped SSD into hard drive slot and it worked perfectly.

I've done this as well using Acronis, just make sure after you get everything back up and running you switch to a AHCI controller and ensure TRIM is enabled. This will help to make sure the SSD is running at its fastest and lasts as long as possible.

• 3 weeks later...
I did exactly what you are trying to do with my M15x. I bought the SSD, placed it in a USB 2.0 enclosure (about £10) then used Acronis True Image to clone the current HDD. (You may need to go on Administrative tools and assign the SSD a drive letter so that it shows up in my computer). Then swapped SSD into hard drive slot and it worked perfectly.

I ended up doing what you did. It wasn't my initial action because I didn't have a 2.5" enclosure (I was using a 3.5" HDD converted into an external hard drive.) Without the 2.5" enclosure, I was basically adding 2-3 extra steps into the equation. However, I ended up just getting a 2.5" enclosure, and am now using the SSD. Thank you all for your help.