[Tutorial] Dual 330W AC Adapter Mod

Hi mr fox I am gonna try building this adaptor this week, but I don't want to be cutting the original cables,

I have the female connectors for the psu cables. But do you know which connector is needed for making the cable that goes from the adaptor into the laptop?

Thanks

It seems the adapters use a 4 pin conection vs the traditional connector. Looks promising, I would like to see more availability for this across manfacturers. The Alienware 18 is really bad not even maximizing its single 330watt psu. Does the x51 use that 4 pin connection?

• 2 weeks later...
hello

My Dual psu

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11257[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11258[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11259[/ATTACH]

Right I have pretty much all the parts but need more info on how to wire it up like yours, do you or any one else have more detailed pictures?

Also how warm does the case get?

Thanks

great work mr.fox (: but i think u are the only one who made a monster psu like this ;D whats about the heatsink? how warm it is? i noticed that the normal 330W adapter is runnin slightly hot after hours of gaming :D

u ever think about installing a little fan on the heatsink? just need a 12volt rail ;D

• 5 weeks later...

it is best to use the original power adapter

- - - Updated - - -

hi every body

can i use 50A 1000V rectifier?

well actually, if you do this dual power supply mod, I dont see why you need to use any rectifier. from my experience as a electrical engineer, since its DC, you can just combine the + together, the - together and the ground is just ground.

- - - Updated - - -

well actually, if you do this dual power supply mod, I dont see why you need to use any rectifier. from my experience as a electrical engineer, since its DC, you can just combine the + together, the - together and the ground is just ground.

sorry, did you create one for yourself? i mean dual psu...

• 1 month later...

de Google

where is connected the blue cable (control) on the power jack?

Can you make a scheme of your electronic assembly

Well im reformatting now ill do a fresh install and install 11.5 and see if that gives me 20k+

Will also try pc as well. Any special instructions for pc these ships?

dgsg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what version 3.0 looks like. As version 2.0, it has plug-in connections versus hardwired, but the box itself is heavy cast aluminum and serves as the heat sink.

For those that have asked, I used the bridge rectifier at the recommendation of an electrical engineer. Will it work without one? Maybe so. It works well with one. I have to wonder about the heat generated, whether the heat is caused by the bridge rectifier itself or if the bridge rectifier is giving the heat a place to go. If the cables and connections were to get this hot without any heat sink to dissipate the energy, that would not be a good thing.

P5uQeUK.jpg5QQwhJY.jpg

Ya know, I should've just went through the pages of this thread! Derp. I also managed to find the link to that 240w - 330w AC Adapter ID cable mod that Nosferatu did that gave Mr. Fox the inspiration for detachable cables.

So, I think I have everything I need if I want to perform this mod. TBoneSan on Notebookreview mentioned that the 980Ms in SLI don't play well with the dual PSU mod. Now is this because of the high amounts of throttling from the GPUs or something else?

Also is it possible to simply find the appropriate connections and use this?

http://www.laptoppartsnow.com/j01150mclac12.html The DELL ID chip problem and the fact these are using 4 pin connections might make this impossible, especially if a lot of the circuitry is dealt with using a circuit board or something that isn't easy to modify (at least not for me!).

It's probably better to simply make a box like Mr. Fox has.

Ya know, I should've just went through the pages of this thread! Derp. I also managed to find the link to that 240w - 330w AC Adapter ID cable mod that Nosferatu did that gave Mr. Fox the inspiration for detachable cables.

So, I think I have everything I need if I want to perform this mod. TBoneSan on Notebookreview mentioned that the 980Ms in SLI don't play well with the dual PSU mod. Now is this because of the high amounts of throttling from the GPUs or something else?

Also is it possible to simply find the appropriate connections and use this?

AC Power Adapter - Original Clevo AC-100 Power Converter Box The DELL ID chip problem and the fact these are using 4 pin connections might make this impossible, especially if a lot of the circuitry is dealt with using a circuit board or something that isn't easy to modify (at least not for me!).

It's probably better to simply make a box like Mr. Fox has.

The dual PSU works fine with 980M, but it does nothing to remedy the throttling problems 980M has when installed in an Alienware. The 980M GPUs throttle exactly the same whether using the single or dual AC adapter. There is no problem with playing nice or anything like that. The dual adapter setup maintains stock voltage output at all time and doubles the available power (watts) based on demand. So, what you are doing is increasing capacity and giving the laptop room to draw as much power as it needs to without running out of it prematurely.

Sure. You can use two 240W adapters if you want. Or, you can use Nospheratu's mod (see link in opening post) with a dongle so your motherboard can shake hands with the ID chip is recognizes. That mod would be less expensive than this one, since 330W is plenty.

• 1 month later...

Is this true with the 880M as well? Does the 880M SLI still play badly in the M18x R2/R1? Does that kind of setup need more than one 330W PSU to help with it's erratic behavior? Just curious if someone had tried it.

• 1 month later...

- - - Updated - - -

The reason for the rectifier in a DC to DC is usually to insure the popularity is correct/clean/good. Do you have to have it? maybe not but I'm not going to be the crash test dummy lol! People have been very successful in the current mod it does add too much access. The is another circuit chip that could be used to do the same thing and is maybe a little more user friendly. But if it ain't broke!

Is this true with the 880M as well? Does the 880M SLI still play badly in the M18x R2/R1? Does that kind of setup need more than one 330W PSU to help with it's erratic behavior? Just curious if someone had tried it.

I doubt it would help with the 880M erratic behavior. There are a couple of M18xR1/R2 owners that are satisfied with 880M SLI, but they are not overclocking their 880M SLI setups. It seems like overclocking is where things get to acting the goofiest with 880M for some reason. I would recommend just avoiding it altogether and sticking with 780M SLI for either or those machines, or going with 980M SLI for the M18xR2. @Prema vBIOS mod and @J95 driver mods have the 980M SLI throttling problem more or less under control. It's fixed to the point that it is a desirable upgrade if you can put up with Windows 8 and pure UEFI. If you plan to do any kind of serious overclocking, the dual AC adapter mod is required. It is not needed for running the GPUs stock for playing games. See 980M SLI results from @Miguel Maroto Madrid in this thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-41.html#post131734

It was really interesting reading about the dual PSU Mod. I try not to get too serious with anything, especially overclocking so I don't think I will doing the PSU Mod anytime soon. As to the difficulties with the 880M and 980M, I have just picked up a couple of 780M's off of Ebay. The stock clocks are a real boost for my R1, making the Futuremark scores on-par with my R2. I intend to stick with them for now. Best Regards.

Thanks@MrFox

• 2 months later...

I just finished reading through this thread and found it very enlightening. I had recently purchased a couple 780m's and a 2960xm and was all excited to get into some overclocking. To my utter dismay, every attempt at overclocking, be it the memory, GPU, voltage or combinations thereof, and I mean every attempt resulted in a worse benchmark score then the stock settings. I gradually increased each setting to avoid damaging parts, but my rig refused to give me any gains. Since my GPU temps never went above 79C I suspected a power issue and then subsequently found this thread.

Using my recently obtained 'kill a watt' I found my system drawing a peak load of 309W with everything at stock. I believe this is already uncomfortable territory for a 330W PSU. Here are the results of my power draw

Stock Setup (780SLI)

both GPUs: 850MHz

both Memory Clocks: 1,250MHz

Power Draw: 309W max

3DMark11 GPU score: 15,300

Best overclock i could manage w/o the system crashing

GPUs: (1) 1,010MHz (2) 930MHz

Memory Clocks: (1) 1,300MHz (2) 1,250MHz

Power Draw: 318W max

3DMark11 GPU score: 15,000

For whatever reason it looks like my primary card will overclock a little more then its partner, however this is still what I would consider a very mild overclock. A loss of 300 GPU points in 3DMark11 I believe could be considered within the margin of error for the same setup, however that the performance actually decreases when the clock increases worries me.

I believe my issue is just related to power, but if I'm missing something else here feel free to chime in. Am I correctly asserting that my performance decrease with the increase in clock is power related? Could I expect a good overclock with a dual PSU setup?

Thanks, and Mr. Fox, you're awesome.