Safe overclocking?

Captmario

I would say staying under 1000mhz core and 2500mhz memory would be "safe" but I will not recommend any safe limit because as you said it differs from notebook to notebook.

Learn your cards limits by increasing the clocks a bit at a time and benchmark and be sure to monitor the temps until you're satisfied.

Isn't 2500 mhz on memory too much for 680m?

It will probably need overvolting for that

It differs from card to card, I've just read about other people having a stable overclock at those clocks, note that this is not a recommendation from me.

Hey just curious, I have a 680M in my GT70 and I was wondering where people usually start their overclocking, and by what increments they increase their clocking, testing along the way of course. Also I was planning on going to 1 volt, to add a little stability. I don't want to kill my card and i don't want to push it to the max, just looking for some better performance that's noticeable. Anybody have any suggestions?

Are you using BIOS or a utility to overclock?

Speaking for myself, I prefer using a utility like EVGA Precision X. You can increase/decrease the frequency on the fly and watch the real-time effects it has on your temperature.

MSI Afterburner, has everything you need, but on default vbios you have limited overclocking available, core is often locked on MSI cards, memory can go +350

Using a custom vbios you can go higher, By the way overvolting may reduce life itself, since it leads to more heat and higher temperatures,

when i overclocked, i pushed memory direct to +400 and core to +50, since this is a normal overclock, small increments only matter when you are pushing the card to its limits, so if at anytime a bsod or artifacts occur, you can change back a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Are you using BIOS or a utility to overclock?

Speaking for myself, I prefer using a utility like EVGA Precision X. You can increase/decrease the frequency on the fly and watch the real-time effects it has on your temperature.

I also love EVGA Precision X. It is excellent for gaining dynamic performance based on thermal criteria.

• 2 weeks later...

i use Nvidia inspactor , in combination with the 1.025V bios and im running : 980core and 2250 memory .

Getting seriously solid preformence battlefield everything on ultra except a.a = 65 to 90 fps .

Temps are around 80's i have a msi GT70 so with tubro button for the fan i keep it under the 80.

• 2 months later...

I found Nvidia inspector to work better than MSI afterburner ect for me. It offers unlocked voltage adjustment . I didn't need much voltage to increase my core clock more just a touch and since the fans are linked to the CPU in GT70 2OC I found the other options afterburner has to be semi useless.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how the cooling is on the MSI, but I am running 854/2151 (safe zone, need VBIOS mod to go higher on core) and it barely even runs hotter... 67*C, and my laptop sits with the bottom air intake "open to air" - i.e. where the bottom air vent to the GPU is, is not blocked by a surface, it hangs in the air between my Desk and old PC Tower - it gets tons of fresh air.