Dell just pushed the first BIOS update for the new Alienware 17 to their support site.

Download here: Driver Details | Dell US

Changelog A03:

1. Update Intel GOP 5.0.1032.

2. Update Intel VBIOS 2175.

3. Modify load default behavior in Setup Menu.

4. Enhance secure boot function.

5. Enhance Panel information interface.

6. Update Microcode 306C3h Rev.09h.

7. Add New ROM part support.

8. Disable WLAN ASPM L0s.

9. Modify SATA configuration behavior for tool load default.

10. Add CMFC OEM Project Function.

11. Enable Nvidia GC6 function

• Thumbs Up 2

That's most likely related with Optimus since it's not part of the AW 18 bios change log... but Nvidia gives zero documentation about their products, so I can't say anything for sure.

That's most likely related with Optimus since it's not part of the AW 18 bios change log... but Nvidia gives zero documentation about their products, so I can't say anything for sure.

thanks for the info. I'm trying to confirm what Dell actually did with this update as now it seems they removed the 77 C throttle limit from the GTX 780m GPU. Its interesting that they say they updated the Intel vBIOS not the Nvidia one. Is there something I'm missing or maybe they didn't post that fix as there wasn't "officially" a problem to begin with?

The 780m vbios is not part of the bios. Also there's no problem with the 780m vbios cause it doesn't throttle. The performance issues are bios related.

You don't must install this bios. It causes some errors. A pink vertical line appeared on the screen and keyboard blinking. Also, sometimes, you could not get into the bios. I I am aware of return it and will wait when windows 8.1 is released.

• 3 weeks later...

new bios for alienware 17 is out...A04

Modify:1. Support Intel PCH C2 chipset.2. Update ePSA 4228A12(4228.19).3. Modify SMBIOS Type 1 information.4. Update Microcode 306C3h Rev.12h.5. Enhance WOL function under Sleep status.6. Modify hardware reserved memory.7. Enhance graphic performance for Nvidia Optimus.

• Thumbs Up 1