MS-16F2 w/GTX770m Need vBios Please Help!

Wotan

Hi guys,

I've gotten myself into a sort of funky pickle:

I have installed a GTX770m in my MS-16F2 to replace the now antiquated GTX560m. After some heatsink modification on the mill and new thermal strips, the card went in quite easily. Now, my problem is that Nvidia's software, nor GPUz or any other install-able software will recognize the card. Nearly everything recognizes my display adapter as "Standard VGA adapter". However, when running Nvidia autodetect on my machine, it does detect the GTX770m. Additionally, I backed up the existing vBios on the card and the display adapter was recognized correctly, so I know its not just a matter of having a dead card.

I already tried flashing my computer's bios with a newer and unlocked version. The flash was successful, but the video card situation hasn't changed.

Does anyone have a version of the GTX770m vBios, or even better, and MSI specific copy? Any help in solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks gents

Well, I have good news for you... all you need is a modified .inf file to allow the driver to install.

Please go to the device manager -> display adapters -> standard vga adapter -> details -> hardware IDs and make a screenshot and post it here, or just write it down, then I'll provide you with a proper .inf file.

Can you tell me with which vbios version you got your card?

Put the .inf file in the Display.Driver folder of the extracted driver. Make sure you have driver signature check disabled. This should allow you to install the driver.

I already have that vbios version, no need to upload it, thanks.

770m - 320.49 WHQL inf for MS-16F2.zip

770m - 320.49 WHQL inf for MS-16F2.zip

• Thumbs Up 2

post-15385-1449499580045_thumb.jpg

It does not seem to work. I uninstalled the old drivers and proceeded to disable signature signing. I then downloaded 320.49 and placed the file in the Display.Driver directory.

Any ideas?

post-15385-14494995800743_thumb.png

Where did you buy the GTX770M and for how much? I plan my Medion X6819 (MS-16F2 barebone) to miss a new video card, as well as the Medion X6811 (MS-16F1 barebone).

Is there somewhere a tutorial on how I need to modify the heat sink?

• 2 weeks later...
your fan work great or when you game touch turbo fan (same at 7970m) ?

where you buy heatsink and 770m gtx?

As it's a gt683 it has the turbo fan touch button which I use, I also have fan control tools by Pherein v1.0.4 which I used for my gtx 570m to increase the fan speed even more but don't need it for the 770m as it doesn't run hotter than 70C load for me.

I didn't need a new heatsink as I already had 570m, I bought the card from ebay for 429 bucks which is around 300 euros.

Well ain't this just interesting. Glad to see actual evidence of this working!!

@Suoah, are you still using the 2630qm, and if so do you have any before and after benches?? I'm interested in this or the 7970m. I know the 7970m is faster but if this doesn't require a new heatsink it'd be a cheaper upgrade option.

Well ain't this just interesting. Glad to see actual evidence of this working!!

@Suoah, are you still using the 2630qm, and if so do you have any before and after benches?? I'm interested in this or the 7970m. I know the 7970m is faster but if this doesn't require a new heatsink it'd be a cheaper upgrade option.

Actually I have a i5 CPU, new laptops often come in lower specs in my country and almost double the price compared to the US. Although I have'nt experienced any bottlenecking, I'm going to upgrade the CPU too if I don't sell the laptop first :P

I don't have any beches sorry.

No dremel needed.

Is the heatsink for 580M/675M same ? - I think 570M and 580M are same, not sure though...

Would I need to modify my 675M heatsink to use it on 770M ?

Also, what vBios do you need? Can I get DELL card ? or do I need something with optimus off ?

The 570M, 670M, 580M and 675M MSI share the same heatsink, you can use that one for the 770M, that's no problem.

You will just need to re-arrange the thermal pads position to cover all the components from the 770M. Preferably get a Clevo card, we know for sure they work OK :)

Then you will just need to mod the driver, and you're done!

how are component 770m gtx to cover exactly? post an image? i have ordered phobia 0,5mm 7 mk w

You'll just need to put double layers of 0.5mm thermal pads on the RAMs here: post-6549-14494995942337_thumb.jpgAnd one layer on the rest, I also use phobya.

• Thumbs Up 2

The 570M, 670M, 580M and 675M MSI share the same heatsink, you can use that one for the 770M, that's no problem.

You will just need to re-arrange the thermal pads position to cover all the components from the 770M. Preferably get a Clevo card, we know for sure they work OK :)

Then you will just need to mod the driver, and you're done!

Ok, thanks for the info about heatsink!

I'm getting Dell card after all. - I can get it for free. Otherwise I'd need to pay for clevo card.

Can you please upload your vbios? - I'm not sure maybe the one from clevo has the optimus off so hopefully it will work in my GT780.

I flashed clevo/msi bios on many dell cards I got my hands on just like this one and it worked fine everytime, hope the 770m wont be the exception...

Ok, thanks for the info about heatsink!

I'm getting Dell card after all. - I can get it for free. Otherwise I'd need to pay for clevo card.

Can you please upload your vbios? - I'm not sure maybe the one from clevo has the optimus off so hopefully it will work in my GT780.

I flashed clevo/msi bios on many dell cards I got my hands on just like this one and it worked fine everytime, hope the 770m wont be the exception...

• Thumbs Up 2

@Bugii Would you mind to keep us posted about you upgrading your GT780? (flashing, installing, and I hope benchmarking)

Because we share same laptop type and I think GTX770M is the best possible upgrade (no need to buy heatsink or dremel etc)

Thank you in advance, bro.

Cheers!

@Suoah Thanks man!

I find many of your posts are very helpful.

@Bugii Would you mind to keep us posted about you upgrading your GT780? (flashing, installing, and I hope benchmarking)

Because we share same laptop type and I think GTX770M is the best possible upgrade (no need to buy heatsink or dremel etc)

Thank you in advance, bro.

Cheers!

@Suoah Thanks man!

I find many of your posts are very helpful.

You can order the heatsink fairly easily and the 7970M will still be quite a bit faster.

You can order the heatsink fairly easily and the 7970M will still be quite a bit faster.

Yeah I know Meaker.

But I find 7970M + new heatsink would cost a bit more than if I only upgrade to 770M (no need for new heatsink)

Yes the difference is "only" around US$ 150 (50$ difference for the card and 100$ for the heatsink, exclude shipping), but this is a lot of money for me :(

I just want to keep the budget as low as possible.

Cheers.

PS : That system on your signature is a beast!