M17x R2 + GTX780M - safemode boot OK, Normall boot NOT

flingin

Hi there all.

I have just installed 780M in my R2.

Running Stock A10 Bios.

I cant go past windows 7 logo assembly, just before win 7 password screen comes up the screen goes Snow White. WSOD :)

I can boot into safe mode, from which i am writing now, but nothing else beyond that.

Also, when i try to restart my laptop, it will not boot up again. No POST at all. I vahe to disconnect the AC and reconnect to boot again ..

ANY IDEAS ?

The black screen when starting again after a shutdown might be related to your brightness settings, try whether it disappears when you set the display brightness to the max.

About the more serious issue... not sure, maybe try the modified vbios I posted. M15x and M17x are very similar but there must be a difference somewhere since the 7970m needs a different vbios in 17 compared to the 15...

I will wait for eurocom people to send me another vbios first, then i will flash with yours, other words i will do multiple flashes at once, testing all vbioses available, if this fails, i am reverting to 7970m and sooo long GTX780M....this is just SO SAD :(

The black screen when starting again after a shutdown might be related to your brightness settings, try whether it disappears when you set the display brightness to the max.

About the more serious issue... not sure, maybe try the modified vbios I posted. M15x and M17x are very similar but there must be a difference somewhere since the 7970m needs a different vbios in 17 compared to the 15...

OK, can i use the modified VBIOS with confidence ?

I mean, i can blind flash later if something happens.....

Also, is it OK to try VBIOS from NEW DELL AW M17X and M18X ? i have heard that dell VBIOS may sometimes.....do the job ?

Do you still have to remove the AC and reboot if you shutdown from safe mode?

Also are you running the same windows install as when you were running your 7970M? If you are, boot again into safe mode and remove all AMD drivers. Run the AMD Catalyst Clean-up Utility, ATIman, Driver-fusion or whatever you use to clean all the AMD drivers out and try booting again normally.

Do you still have to remove the AC and reboot if you shutdown from safe mode?

Also are you running the same windows install as when you were running your 7970M? If you are, boot again into safe mode and remove all AMD drivers. Run the AMD Catalyst Clean-up Utility, ATIman, Driver-fusion or whatever you use to clean all the AMD drivers out and try booting again normally.

Yes i do have to remove AC even if i try to restart from safe mode. I have to do it EVERY TIME i reboot, safe mode or normal boot changes nothing, screen just stays black and no POST whatsoever.

I also tried Fresh WIN 7 installation, but the screen will go White as soon as the installation is almost complete ( before win 7 installs it probably attempts to install generic GPU driver and tries to go into higher resolution )

I feel, if i soon will not flash this card with different VBIOS, it will kill my RGB Screen just like 7970M did it..... those white screens look 100% the same when i had 7970m prior to VBIOS flash.

If i feel this will be the case....i will PULL THE PLUG FROM 780M !

So the solution -> failed

SLV7 please can you explain me how to disable on board video trough this A10 unlocked bios ?

There is a tab in there ->> IGD - LCD control sub menu, what are those options for ?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR HELP :)

Advanced -> video config -> primary display -> set to PEG

Internal graphics device -> IGD -> set to disabled

If I remember correctly.

Don't forget to save the settings.

Advanced -> video config -> primary display -> set to PEG

Internal graphics device -> IGD -> set to disabled

If I remember correctly.

Don't forget to save the settings.

Thanks SLV7

....but i can't see or i do not know how to access VIDEO CONFIG tab, any hidded options or do i have to press a special key to access them ?

I can see only 3 tabs which i can access in ADVANCED

Platform thermal Configuration

Sata controll sub menu

LGD - LCD controll sub menu

as shown in here

Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source - Alienware M17x-R2 A10 BIOS Unlocked OC Options

I think advanced video option refers only to R3 unlocked bios ? or am i wrong ?

Sorry for being a pain, i am just first one to put 780m in R2 (i think) and i want to try everything possible to get it working.....

Oh right, you have an R2... that has no on- board graphics. So no need to change aynthing in the bios.

Did you flash the vbios?

Firstly, i am unable to install any driver in safe mode, i do not understand how is it even possible ?

No I did not flash the vbios yet, should I ?

And yes, i was on stock A10 Bios, which did not work, so i flashed to A10 Unlocked, and i still can boot only into safe mode, if i attempt to boot normally, i get blank white ( now even green ) screen just after windows 7 logo finishes assembling itself, so i can see this logo for like....3 seconds...i have SDD.

Can this card force my screen to work on a different refresh rate ? anyway to by-pass this ?

I will try to boot from VGA port, HDMI is not working atm..... I'M RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS :(

Ok so I was able to install modified drivers in safe mode, but the issue is still there, would that be ok from now on to start flashing the card with different vbioses ? From MSI, Dell, or clevo or whatever ?

Try to flash svl7's VBIOS, download Download NVFlash 5.128.0.1 | techPowerUp then go here http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

Rename the .rom file to '780M' (8 characters limit).

Backup:

nvflash -b backup.rom

VBIOS flash:

nvflash -6 780M.rom

Type twice 'y' to override PCI mismatches.

Try to flash svl7's VBIOS, download Download NVFlash 5.128.0.1 | techPowerUp then go here http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

Rename the .rom file to '780M' (8 characters limit).

Backup:

nvflash -b backup.rom

VBIOS flash:

nvflash -6 780M.rom

Type twice 'y' to override PCI mismatches.

Yo bro :)

I will try that but next week, i had to put back my 7970M to continue work on my laptop, For 3 stinking days i was looking at my laptop like on somebody's coffin.....:06:

I swear next time i'm gonna see a white screen i am gonna vomit...

• 2 weeks later...