Quick M18x GPU Question

Dont know if anyone else is going to know this but figure this is the place to ask it since it's all notebook elite over here ;) On hardware monitoring software such as hwinfo which gpu is 1 and which is 2? Temps on the primary gpu(1) inside of the actual machine? My mind tells me it's the left gpu but as this is my first notebook with dual cards I thought I'd ask first. Also is it normal for the primary gpu to be about 10 degrees higher than the secondary?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Should probably also mention the temp differences are only while the cards aren't being stressed. They level out within a few degrees of each other under stress.

Sup Dane? It's been ages...! How you're doing?

Left should be the primary GPU in the M18x. Tools like HWiNFO most likely use the information the driver gives them, so expected that #0 really is the primary card.

10°C difference sounds like a lot... maybe another M18x user can confirm this. I don't need to lecture you about repasting I guess :P

Lol yeah it has been ages :P I kinda laid low for a while due to helping a buddy with some Android development stuff and work. One thing is for sure though now that I snagged another alienware your gonna see a lot more of me I'm gonna be hunting some bench records like mw86's 2920xm record ;) I've been pretty good how about you? On the card after looking a little closer it looks like there's a background process that's casing the primary card to sit at a 1 to 3% use while the slave card is at 0% so I'm not quite as alarmed now, still gonna take a look to figure out what it is though. After some more testing last night both cards level out at about 72 degrees and the cpu at 70 so pretty good temps already but i will be repasting it once i order more paste and pads. Probably gonna bench the 460s that came in this rig for a bit until I find a set of stronger cards like 7970s or 680s for a good deal then you can expect some of my typical inanity again :P

Hehehe, sounds good! :D I'm still with my M15x, currently featuring a 780m (not mine though, only borrowed) and it performs like never before... Though a new system would be cool, mainly for benching :D

Hehehe, sounds good! :D I'm still with my M15x, currently featuring a 780m (not mine though, only borrowed) and it performs like never before... Though a new system would be cool, mainly for benching :D

Which is exciting to watch, for the rest of us. :D

My M18x R2 often has a 7 - 10 degree difference at idle. Usually the primary GPU is under a small amount of load, keeping it a bit warmer.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'd probably have to start selling body parts I would love to snag since 780m cards. I'll likely end up on 7970s or 680s. I want to go with nvidia but the amd cats are cheaper and I know how to work them better if you remember my 15x and 17xr3 lol.

My m18x at an idle my 680m's are about 10c different in temps and that is normal for it. Only time they are about the same is about a minute after gaming or benching at idle. But while gaming my temps are about the same roughly.

• 1 month later...

Its also depends on the configuration of the video card, if we are talking about Nvidia, maybe you have your SLI configuration disable, so this make the GPU in position 0, your main working GPU, that might explain the difference of temperatures.

if you also has an auto detect SLI it will only work when the strees is out of some boundaries of the single card, for example, if you play a videogame like crisys 3 and you have a GTX 580M in SLI configurated to enable SLI when required, then it will enable as soon as you run the game.

That could explain the differences of 10 degres between one card vs another card.

and more simple explanation could be laptop design, if thats the case i recommend tou but a cooler for your laptop so that way you can regulate better the processors temps and GPUs also.

:)