Y510 wifi whitelist removal?

Panzer06

I assume this is the same for the y410p. I thought that there was a mention that the BIOS would work but this caused me to question that. If not I will look to dumping the BIOS for it.

I use fptw64(fpt) to dump my Y410P bios .

but the tool can not work. it's show:

Error:201 [fptw64.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.

please contact your vendor.

I'm having the same problem trying to dump my y510p BIOS, even running it as Admin. BIOS information tool didn't work either. Will continue searching.

I have test the backup file.

I modify the bios and flash it back. It's ok. Now my notebook use atheros 938x wlan card.

To avoid accident,i buy a programmer.I take the chip from the mainboard,use the programmer read the chip.

Two files are same.

Thank you svl7!

• 2 weeks later...

I may have a solution to removing the whitelist, but until I've fully reviewed it and tested it on myself, I'd rather not give false hopes or brick anyone's devices. It looks like svl7 came up with an alternative solution to removing the whitelist that crazybian tested and successfully flashed. I pm'd svl7 seeking what the method was, but no reply yet. He is a very busy person, so I understand completely. Currently it's probably best to ask svl7 or crazybian until I've tested my theory.

• Thumbs Up 1

hey..yeah I had the same question..I wanted to unlock my bios on the y510p but I had no idea how to do so...I would really appreciate if someone could help me...I am new to this forum...I read there were unlocked bios for the y400 and y500..but I did not see anything related to y510p

Figured you needed an update.

In-between scrambling to prep for the beginning of the semester and work, I've been to just about every corner of google to find what I should know (which is hard when searching to find if anyone else has figured it out, as most of the y510p bios WLAN whitelist searches point back to this thread.)

To make a looong week short:

All I have to do is dump the bios, use a hex editor to find out which module of the bios the WLAN Whitelist is in (If Lenovo and Insyde keep to tradition, it'll be in module 11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6) patch it out, then either use InsydeFlash with a modded platform.ini to flash the modded BIOS.

Once that's done and works, All You'll have to do [theoretically]is dump the bios, load it into EZH20, patch out the module containing the whitelist, and flash it with InsydeFlash with a modded Platform.ini and we'll be all set until they launch a bios update. Trust me, easier than it sounds.

Currently waiting on either the universal bios programmer to come in the mail to confirm the bios dumped by Davidxxw's Universal Bios Backup Toolkit is correct, or for svl7 to message me back about what he had crazybian use to dump the bios.

I'm getting conflicting reports that the Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit can dump the bios, and other reports that it'll dump a dirty bios. The dump I'm getting is 4608KB. Seeing as older Lenovo BIOS are only 1-2 MB in size, having one 4.5MB is a bit concerning. However, the fact that EZH2O can read it is encouraging.

Not one to sit by idly until the programmer or a message from svl7 arrives, I'm currently trying to get a clean dump by flashing the potentially dirty dump while the backup flag of InsydeFlash enabled in platform.ini. Thinking behind that is, even If I can't boot due to a dirty bios, it'll have dumped the clean bios to the Hard Drive. Just got to access the hard drive from another computer and flash the clean dump via Win+B. Currently researching a workaround for "ec file size input error".

Welp. I'm done rambling. Off to nap and then back to it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've got a Y410P and am desperately wanting to swap my Centrino 2230 wireless for a 6235 to hopefully solve the ridiculous connectivity issues. I recently found out about this whole "whitelist" thing and am hugely appreciative of the efforts in unlocking the BIOS to allow such a swap. I doubt I can be of any assistance with basically no programming experience, but I'm more than willing to help however I may if needed.

Once again, thank you and good luck to those hard at work at getting to the bottom of this!

Well it's official, Lenovo couldn't care less about this issue. I spent over an hour on "support" with them and got absolutely nowhere. It's not exactly confidence inspiring when I know more than the tech support guy, either. I asked if there were some "advanced" support department which could perhaps help with BIOS issues and the like, but no, he said there was nothing. So, it seems this is completely up to the user community to solve, unfortunately.

Sh3rl0q and svl7, I pray that you're still able to help open the Y410P's BIOS! :52_002: