Y400/Y500 - Anyone running an SSD? Opinions, experiences, boot times?

whatisit

Forgot to follow up to this thread for awhile. Since I originally posted, I decided to try Win8 (with StartIsBack, to make it bearable for my needs). Installing Win8 vs. Win7 which I was using when I first posted, I immediately dropped to the same 8-9 sec boot time that others have posted. I also put in Plextor M5M PX-256M5M mSATA as my main Win drive. Using the msata vs. standard ssd didn't provide any noticeable differences, but I never performed any benchmarks to compare. I've since installed 8.1 update and everything seems comparable still.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Does it really change the boot time? I've heard that most people say tha win 8 boots faster than win 7 but for me it's not the case, it really takes a long time, sometimes the login windows is fast but a full boot of the whole OS it really takes too much time and for that reason I try to keep in sleep mode rather than powering off my y400

Does it really change the boot time? I've heard that most people say tha win 8 boots faster than win 7 but for me it's not the case, it really takes a long time, sometimes the login windows is fast but a full boot of the whole OS it really takes too much time and for that reason I try to keep in sleep mode rather than powering off my y400

That is because you are on Legacy in BIOS and not UEFI. Also you should enable Secure boot.

i'm running windows 7 on an lenovo y500 and it does a full boot within 15 seconds (mushkin atlas deluxe 240gb).

my tower pc also has an equivalent ssd and it takes at least 30 seconds to perform a full boot (mushkin chronos 240gb).

I installed a 256gb Mydigitalssd bp4 msata for my lenovo y580, boot times are blazing fast but clean installing windows 8.1 on the ssd was a pain and took a lot of work since i didn't have the disc and had an oem key.

As you would expect with an SSD boot times are great and all programs start in no time! In my recently bought y510p it's really nice to have all my progams start as fast as on my desktop, the i7 also helps of course!

I installed an Intel 520 Series 240 GB SSD a few weeks after getting my IdeaPad Y500.

I. Love. It.

I apologies for this post's lack of metrics, but I'd like to inform anyone who wants to install this model SSD into their Y500 that I've experienced a very notable increase in load speed and that I have not encountered a single issue since installation (it's been over 6 months).

I'm running a Samsung 840 500gb SSD on my Y510 and it boots in under 8 seconds. I never even considered running the 1tb drive. It was removed and cloned the moment I received it.

Cheers

Same here, i use a Samsung 830 Pro 512GB. On my Y510P.

It boots under 6 seconds!

I'm running a Samsung 840 500gb SSD on my Y510 and it boots in under 8 seconds. I never even considered running the 1tb drive. It was removed and cloned the moment I received it.

Cheers

I love my ssd, it made the laptop at least twice as fast in my opinion!

Just picked up my y510p SLI the other day with the 1tb + 16gb cache drive. Immediately took that out and swapped in a Samsung 840 EVO 750GB and installed Win7. Boot from cold to desktop takes about 10 seconds, which in reading some other comments here may be a bit slow... Probably Win8 vs Win7 times. Went with the EVO over the PRO as I didn't see any indication that I would truly notice the performance gains (plus the price for the 750 evo was pretty good).

Just picked up my y510p SLI the other day with the 1tb + 16gb cache drive. Immediately took that out and swapped in a Samsung 840 EVO 750GB and installed Win7. Boot from cold to desktop takes about 10 seconds, which in reading some other comments here may be a bit slow... Probably Win8 vs Win7 times. Went with the EVO over the PRO as I didn't see any indication that I would truly notice the performance gains (plus the price for the 750 evo was pretty good).

Windows 8 boots up way faster than windows 7.