Y400/Y500 - Anyone running an SSD? Opinions, experiences, boot times?

whatisit

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say yes! Very true, but you are talking a miniscule amount, I only ever saw raw performance when I had my desktop in raid 0 with ssds. That being said in the laptop realm. I notice same load times with my platter vs my ssd, now I had a older ssd. Come christmas time I may get a nice new 512gb ssd or 1tb if the money allows.

I would say in my experience I have not noticed any load time changes. The 60gb mSATA has allot to do for this as well.

I moved from a Corsair F60 to my current Samsung 840 Pro 128 and I will a test that the load speeds are very noticeable. Loading any game and especially starting up Firefox is a quite fast compared to the 1Tb platter drive that came in the y410p....even when it is a Momentus drive.

See I do not notice much improvement from the platter, to ssd. That is why I went back. My mSATA yes, that was a huge improvment. Night and day. But my games on my ssd no. But the 840 is a newer gen, with new interface chips etc vs the older corsair I had. I know that makes a huge difference. As of now with my platter in ARMA 3 (last game opened) was about 2 seconds slower in loading. Not huge. I think if I go with a 840 or newer gen SSD the improvements in transfer speeds will show. But to safe a few seconds and spend $200 more.... Less space. Doesnt equate to me.

For the people with less than 10s boot times, if applicable, how long did you have the OS installed before running your SSD in your Lenovo? I had mine for about 1 year, so I'm wondering if all the extra installed background apps/processes cause the increase. I haven't tried booting on a completely fresh install.

Also curious about timing and making sure we're comparing apples to apples. I timed from the moment I hit the power button. Just making sure that I eliminate unnecessary variables.

I have a Plextor 256GB SSD mSATA in my Y500. Boot times are around 8-9 seconds on win 8.1 (everything loaded and ready to go). I can only recommend slapping a SSD into your laptop. They really speed up... well... everything.

Could you post a link to this product, please. I am running an SSD now but originally was interested in an mSata, but was worried it would not work. I have a y410p and installed the BIOS mod from here. thanks.

I had to enable legacy boot instead of UEFI to get the y510p to install on my new SSD. I'm using a Samsung PM840 series 256GB SSD. Boot time with Windows 8 is about 7 seconds. I'm not sure if it is going to be much faster with UEFI though - this is my desktop equivalent speed so I'm very happy. BTW - my desktop is a Z77 chipset motherboard with Windows 8 and an SSD. Both systems have hibernate disabled so it is a 'true' boot speed (instead of waking from deep sleep).

I had to enable legacy boot instead of UEFI to get the y510p to install on my new SSD. I'm using a Samsung PM840 series 256GB SSD. Boot time with Windows 8 is about 7 seconds. I'm not sure if it is going to be much faster with UEFI though - this is my desktop equivalent speed so I'm very happy. BTW - my desktop is a Z77 chipset motherboard with Windows 8 and an SSD. Both systems have hibernate disabled so it is a 'true' boot speed (instead of waking from deep sleep).

Boot time is only 1-2 seconds slower with UEFI off on my Y500. I wouldn't worry about it.

• 3 weeks later...
Boot time is only 1-2 seconds slower with UEFI off on my Y500. I wouldn't worry about it.

I just followed this guide: Converting Windows BIOS installation to UEFI - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki on how to convert my legacy boot back to UEFI. I was having weird boot hang ups (usually after a cold boot) that would last indefinitely or at least 20 seconds and it was driving me nuts.

Anyways, after booting via UEFI, the hangups are gone. Just a FYI for those facing the same issue. (BTW I have a y510p)

For those who did clean installs:

Did Win8 take care of all the drivers or did you have to download some stuff from the lenovo site?

Of course you have to download drivers. You can't even play games without graphics drivers from Nvidia.

Of course you have to download drivers. You can't even play games without graphics drivers from Nvidia.

Should have been more clear, sorry, I meant Lenovo specific drivers. The nvidia drivers go without saying for me. I had a dell laptop a few years back that required a specific order of install for the dell specific drivers, which is why I ask

Should have been more clear, sorry, I meant Lenovo specific drivers. The nvidia drivers go without saying for me. I had a dell laptop a few years back that required a specific order of install for the dell specific drivers, which is why I ask

The only Lenovo drivers I installed were webcam, touchpad, and Energy Management. All the other drivers were the latest downloaded from the companies' websites.

I purchased the Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD and moved the 1TB drive to the DVD slot with the help of a cheap piece of hardware that houses the drive and allows the locking mechanism to work as well. I go from power off to desktop in less than 6 seconds with my SSD. It's awesome and wouldn't have it any other way.

Im running Mushkin atlas deluxe msata ssd 120gb . Although Im not acheiving more than 250mb/s at the benchmarks the boot time with Windows 7 is pretty good.It takes around 15 secs to load the desktop.

for some reason now mine (also with the Samsung 840 evo, went from 4-5 secs boot to almost 30, and sometimes never reaches desktop, just stays with black screen. I am pretty sure its because win 8.1 update.

I will reinstall win8 without 8.1 later in the week and go from there...

• 2 weeks later...
for some reason now mine (also with the Samsung 840 evo, went from 4-5 secs boot to almost 30, and sometimes never reaches desktop, just stays with black screen. I am pretty sure its because win 8.1 update.

I will reinstall win8 without 8.1 later in the week and go from there...

Also using the Samsung 840 evo here and on Win 8.1, not having any problems. Boots super fast, I no longer dread reboots :D

Had my SSd since I got my Y510p. Its my older Mushkin 240GB Chronos enhanced deluxe. Installed Windows 8.1 RTM straight off USB. Kept my old HDD around incase I need it for warranty purposes. Everything is flashy with it, while I can also install games too.