Bigfoot Killer Wireless-N 1202 in Y500 at first glance

William Shadowruby

I purchased a Killer Wireless-N to replaced the Intel 2230 that my Y500 came with.

So I ran some quick tests, on the 5-ghz and 2.4-ghz bands using speed test and my NAS.

5-ghz

Speed Test

Ping 25 ms

Download 26.16 mbps

Upload 5.37 mbps

NAS

Download 12 mbps

Upload 6 mbps

2.4-ghz

Speed Test

Ping 25 ms

Download 15.97 mbps

Upload 5.22 mbps

NAS

Download 3 mbps

Upload 1 mbps

Ethernet

Speed Test

Ping 15 ms

Download 27.35 mbps

Upload 5.41 mbps

NAS

Download 9.1 mbps

Upload 15.2 mbps

All in all the Killer so far seems like a very good card, adding only 10 ms of ping when compared to Ethernet. I will probably update this post as I collect real world observations.

What about the range increase? I'm completely sure it's better than the crappy Intel it comes with, though I already bought the Intel 6235 I'd really like to know how much signal strenght can the Killer get and other simple things.

all WLAN cards with bluetooth have issues with Windows 8 I tried. Intel and Atheros. This is until you turn of Windows 8 fast boot or hybrid boot.

how much did you pay?

~50 USD, so not exorbitant, but not bottom of the barrel either. My Bluetooth issue is event 17 which also effects the stock card and is a windows 8 issue.

I received my Killer1202 today, so far I am quite impressed. I started a thread in the network hardware section, feel free to check it out. I also did not see the button you had asked me to press. We may want to work that out so we can start a data pool.

I'm planning on getting a 6235, is it possible to get the bluetooth working normally or should I go for a 6300 and not bother?

The only way to get Bluetooth working normally is to use Windows 7.

Call me crazy but my Bluetooth works fine on 8.

Bluetooth doesn't disappear for you when you put the PC to sleep, hibernate, or shutdown with fast startup enabled? If that's true, you'd be the first I've seen without the Bluetooth problems in Windows 8.

Bluetooth doesn't disappear for you when you put the PC to sleep, hibernate, or shutdown with fast startup enabled? If that's true, you'd be the first I've seen without the Bluetooth problems in Windows 8.

I dont do fast startup but it stays when i wake the laptop up from sleep/hibernation. I use it all the time for connecting to the internet via my phone.

I dont do fast startup but it stays when i wake the laptop up from sleep/hibernation. I use it all the time for connecting to the internet via my phone.

Oh got it I just realized you're a G46VW owner replying in the Lenovo forum. For some reason I thought you were talking about the Lenovo Y400 or Y500. The Bluetooth problems to seem to be isolated either to this laptop or to the Intel 2230 WLAN card in it. Everyone with this machine who hasn't changed out the stock WiFi seems to have it.

• 1 month later...

I just installed an 6235 in my y500 and its fairly easy to do. Just take the screws out, take the underside off, take the screw out of the wireless adapter & take the antenna's of, switch the adapter and put the screw in and the antenna's on again, and close it up again.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the 6235 perform better than the 2230 or whatever default card you had?

I just installed an 6235 in my y500 and its fairly easy to do. Just take the screws out, take the underside off, take the screw out of the wireless adapter & take the antenna's of, switch the adapter and put the screw in and the antenna's on again, and close it up again.

I just ordered a KIller 1202. I've been having massive issues with the 2230 in my 410P. It constantly switches itself off. I've tried all of the different drivers and I've configured the power management for it correctly. Also disabled automatic shutoff of the card too. I'm hoping this new card will help with these issues.