Wifi-Direct - HDD Question

Uberperson

Hey guys, I decided to make this post dual topics to cut back on the spam. First off I was wondering if anyone has had any success with using wifi direct on the Intel Centrino 2230 card. I can see both my Galaxy note 2 and my computer through wifi direct but it does not want to connect no matter what i do. I am using the Intel My Dashboard program. Running Win 7 64 Ult.

The second question I had. Have any of you guys had any problems with the stock 1tb hdd that comes with the Y500? I moved mine over to my dvd ultrabay drive and about a month later it started having SMART errors. I am probably going to get it replaced because I just bought the laptop in April. Intel rapid storage keeps telling me it is going to fail any day now but it seems to be working fine. I have only been using it as a spare storage drive, not as my primary drive so I thought it was a bit odd. I wonder if it has anything to do with using an aftermarket HDD caddy from china. Anyway any input would help. Thanks.

Haven't tried the wifi direct stuff, but trying to help with your second question. Have you taken the ultrabay drive out and set it in an external hdd enclosure and then connected to USB? Might be worth trying for a few days. Then try connecting it up to another computer (with the enclosure and/or directly to SATA port) and compare the results. Seems weird that it would take a month for the errors to start if it was simply because the caddy was bad (I would expect it to happen more quickly). Also, have you thought about running any hdd analysis software to check for disk errors and SMART issues? Might be that the hdd slipped through QC and is already going bad...although hopefully not.

Haven't tried the wifi direct stuff, but trying to help with your second question. Have you taken the ultrabay drive out and set it in an external hdd enclosure and then connected to USB? Might be worth trying for a few days. Then try connecting it up to another computer (with the enclosure and/or directly to SATA port) and compare the results. Seems weird that it would take a month for the errors to start if it was simply because the caddy was bad (I would expect it to happen more quickly). Also, have you thought about running any hdd analysis software to check for disk errors and SMART issues? Might be that the hdd slipped through QC and is already going bad...although hopefully not.

I have a couple of Lenovo systems where I've pulled the drives and inserted SSD drives. Is anyone else seeing failures on these? Should I even risk using them as data drives in external enclosures?

Cheers,

I am running a 64gb SSD m4 crucial in my laptop for a few months now as my primary drive(purchased in 2011), it has been running fine. What brand SSD have you been using, also do you use the custom bios? Also have you checked to make sure your bios is set to AHCI.

I am running a 64gb SSD m4 crucial in my laptop for a few months now as my primary drive(purchased in 2011), it has been running fine. What brand SSD have you been using, also do you use the custom bios? Also have you checked to make sure your bios is set to AHCI.

Hello T.I !

New here. I think the WiFi direct wont work if you don't have Intel integrated graphics enabled ( like the y400 y500 ) correct me if I'm wrong hope this helped! ( sorry i dont know the model of your laptop)

Could be right, I tried enabling the integrated video and it would not boot...lol oh well.

Could be right, I tried enabling the integrated video and it would not boot...lol oh well.

Yeah, Optimus would really help this laptop. But still got an awesome specs for the price. IMO price performance ratio is outstanding on this laptop.