17.3" vs 15.6" with slightly better specs

fruithead

i have low moneyz, and my trusty old hp8710p that i had somehow manipulated into playing l4d2 actually had a meltdown. (yep. not kidding. nvs quadro 320m overheated into oblivion)

anyways, just wondering, if i want to run games well (i dont need everything on highest settings, haven't been playing games that way for years anyways.) but also want the max enjoyment i can get in this price range ($600-$700), what do the people recommend as being more important for the gaming experience - screen size, or slightly better specs?

the 17.3" g73sw and the 15.6" (i forget exact model) can both be found used for around $600-$700 so i guess i have two questions;

A) is it worth the price point for what i am getting in 2013,

B) go for more screen, or more performance?

based on my lack of knowledge and basic research skills, it *seems* to me that it is worth it and i should go for more screen real estate, but i wanted to hear from the experts, so thank you!

Asus G53SX DH71 Intel Core i7 2670QM 2 20GHz 15 6" 16GB Memory DDR3 500GB HDD | eBay

VS

Asus G73SW 17 3" Notebook NVIDIA GTX 460M as Is But Working No Returns | eBay

those are completed auctions, but i have seen a bunch going at/around those prices.

portability is not much of an issue, i just dont have enough space for a desktop system. i just want whichever will give me a better gaming experience.

do you feel that having a smaller screen is worth it for slightly more gpu power?

thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

I have both a 15.6 inch laptop and 17.3 , for my personal preferences atleast, the 15.6" is just too small for gaming, mostly talking about fps here, aiming good for example on battlefield 3 with a 15.6 inch screen is impossible on the FOV 90, so even this needs to be reduced. But then again,might be my skills aging too haha.

• 2 weeks later...

17,3" every time unless you're going to plug it into a station with a external monitor thoose times you're using it to play games. Currently sitting on a G75VW(17,3") and I find my friends 15,6" laptop too small.

Well, I had the same problem and went for 14". Imho get the newer one or the one with better reviews/better build quality. If you want good gaming experience either size is small and even 22" screens are pretty cheap now. I sometimes hate the small screen in the rare occasions I use it, but I can live with that. Sluggishness, on the other side, drives me mad.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

It depends on what you prefer:

For gaming I would prefer the larger screen. Power is nothing if you can’t see it ;)

If you often carry it with you: the smaller one. It’s more portable.

I own a 13” a 15” and a 17” Laptop and my favorite is the 15 “one. The perfect mix of portability an power.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...