Asus VG278HE

PhreakStang

• 1 month later...

I own one of the 24". Rock solid monitor, and plenty of customers to back it up. So I doubt the 27" would be any different, with the exception of a slightly bigger ms. Anyone run these with the Lightboost 2D hack?

Another 120hz user here, the VG248QE to be exact. I love it, especially with the strobing backlight on. :D

I run the exact same setup. Its great. The panel itself isn't great because its a TN, but the 120hz strobed is phenomenal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I run the exact same setup. Its great. The panel itself isn't great because its a TN, but the 120hz strobed is phenomenal.

I disagree.

IMO, if you're running or planning to run 120 Hz the pixel clock on other LCD types just doesn't keep up with the frame timings from a high end gpu, especially if you're considering PLS/IPS.

Of course, assuming the panel is running off a high end gpu which would be necessary to push the 120 Hz in the first place.

For example, assuming the manufacturer isn't lying about their GtoG timings, TN's usually report 1-2 ms on 120+ Hz panels, while IPS panels usually report 5-11 ms on their 120+ Hz panels.

If 1000 ms / 120 Hz = 8.333 and IPS hover around 8 ms ideally, then it wouldn't be worth the trade for better image quality if it's going to interfere with frame timing.

Therefore personally I only consider TN panels for 120+ Hz gaming.

Take IPS with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...
I disagree.

IMO, if you're running or planning to run 120 Hz the pixel clock on other LCD types just doesn't keep up with the frame timings from a high end gpu, especially if you're considering PLS/IPS.

Of course, assuming the panel is running off a high end gpu which would be necessary to push the 120 Hz in the first place.

For example, assuming the manufacturer isn't lying about their GtoG timings, TN's usually report 1-2 ms on 120+ Hz panels, while IPS panels usually report 5-11 ms on their 120+ Hz panels.

If 1000 ms / 120 Hz = 8.333 and IPS hover around 8 ms ideally, then it wouldn't be worth the trade for better image quality if it's going to interfere with frame timing.

Therefore personally I only consider TN panels for 120+ Hz gaming.

Take IPS with a grain of salt.

I specifically talked about panel QUALITY not motion blur. IPS had better brightness and color gamut.

Otherwise we agree lol.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Xonar, the panel isnt that great, but the 120 Hz is pretty awesome! I do prefer to have a dual settup with one of these along with an IPS panel (for photoshopping and such). On an interesting note For those using a laptop, and was extremely disappointed finding out that you can't reach the 144hZ with the HDMI (due to port issues) on my Lenovo y400 i used a DVI to HDMI cord and through my nvidia setting was able to set it to about 115Hz (manually) I just kinda ignored the "wrong cable" On league of legends i was able to get 115 FPS with vsync on.

I have a similar ASUS 27" with 120hz refresh rate, and I absolutely love it. The color reproduction is wonderful.

My only complaint at this point is the resolution. These are expensive, and for where technology is today, I would want to look at something a bit higher than 1920x1080. For gaming it isn't an issue, but for regular desktop productivity, at 27" with that resolution you can see the individual pixels if you are too close.

I would absolutely purchase another ASUS monitor, but it would not come in at less than 2560x1440.