GTX 660M Y580 OVERVOLTAGE/INCREASE CLOCKS "You Can Request Any Vbios Am Up For It =)"

ErYani

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I flashed the 1.15 vbios and it is a little too hot for me to handle/control. Would it be safe to flash the 1.125 vbios over the 1.15 vbios using the same method I used to flash the 1.15 vbios or is there another procedure I should do to down volt it.

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I previously had svl7's 2.07 unlocked bios and flashed your 1.15 overvolted bios afterwards.

TLDR; do i just flash the 1.125 vbios on my y580, which is currently using the 1.15 vbios, or do I need to do something special?

EDIT: Just to be (since I'm not always) clear, I went from:

ORIG 2.0x Y580 bios ----> svl7's Unlocked 2.06 BIOS ----> svl7's Unlocked2.07 BIOS ---->

ErYani's 1.15 VBIOS (located: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3926-gtx-660m-y580-overvoltage-increase-clocks-you-can-request-any-vbios-am-up-%3D.html#post55348)

[and now I want to] ----> ErYani's 1.125 VBIOS

I've seen a lot of 1.15v bios in this thread but they all seem to be only for bios versions 8.0x

I flashed the 1.15 vbios and it is a little too hot for me to handle/control. Would it be safe to flash the 1.125 vbios over the 1.15 vbios using the same method I used to flash the 1.15 vbios or is there another procedure I should do to down volt it.

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I previously had svl7's 2.07 unlocked bios and flashed your 1.15 overvolted bios afterwards.

TLDR; do i just flash the 1.125 vbios on my y580, which is currently using the 1.15 vbios, or do I need to do something special?

EDIT: Just to be (since I'm not always) clear, I went from:

ORIG 2.0x Y580 bios ----> svl7's Unlocked 2.06 BIOS ----> svl7's Unlocked2.07 BIOS ---->

ErYani's 1.15 VBIOS (located: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3926-gtx-660m-y580-overvoltage-increase-clocks-you-can-request-any-vbios-am-up-%3D.html#post55348)

[and now I want to] ----> ErYani's 1.125 VBIOS

I've seen a lot of 1.15v bios in this thread but they all seem to be only for bios versions 8.0x

Download Link :- "http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1372379820" <----------- This Is '1.125V' For svl7's Unlocked 2.07 Bios

I tried to flash back to svl7's 2.07 bios, in order to confirm being able to do it, but I received an error message saying, "The version of rom file isn't newer than version of bios." If someone knows how to resolve this, please share. ^_^

That should help:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions-4.html#post30332

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Don't mean to necro this rather old thread but it's the most relevant place to put this question and couldn't find anything on this specific request on my google search journy :D So, is it not possible to create a bios where it would unlock the ability to change the voltage via nvidia inspector, evga precision, etc etc? If possible, I'd like to request a modded BIOS. My current BIOS is the 1.175 V vbios based on svl's 2.07 unlocked BIOS which was posted earlier in this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, thank you very much for your work. I used the 1.125V bios update and it worked well. I just have a question. Does overvolting using bios in this thread disable NVIDIA Optimus? My GPU apparently always active now at 1.125 V. It's not really a big deal but I'm just curious Thanks.

Hi, thank you very much for your work. I used the 1.125V bios update and it worked well. I just have a question. Does overvolting using bios in this thread disable NVIDIA Optimus? My GPU apparently always active now at 1.125 V. It's not really a big deal but I'm just curious Thanks.

Yeah :( , Though There Is a way to increase dynamic voltage up to 1.125V without forcing it as constant voltage , am not that expert thought i cant do it , i can only force any voltage you want :)

Please help.I found fan control in bios but isnt activing?

How can active this settings?

The only known way to control the fan speed is via hard mod, but doing so just forces the fan to run full speed at all times. I'm not sure where specifically I read it, but shouldn't be too difficult to find on google.

I know your question was already answered, but disabling optimus on this laptop is impossible. The closest you'd get to disabling integrated graphics would be muxing it to an external display, which according to svl7 is impossible.

That's not a software issue, it's bound by the hardware. Optimus uses the Intel HD as output device to bring the picture to the screen, and not the display hardware of the Nvidia GPU (that's also why Optimus can't work on an internal 3d screen...the Intel HD doesn't support 120Hz output yet). So using only the Nvidia card requires muxing it directly to the display. As this costs a bit more due to additional parts, most vendors don't do this. The Lenovo Y580 apparently isn't capable of doing this either... Some systems which can do it are the more recent Alienware notebooks, and possibly some of the Dell Precision series. I don't know of any regular mid-end notebook which can do this.

@ErYani,

If what I'm thinking is what you're talking about, then to change the max and min dynamic voltages, you can compare the stock BIOS with schranzmaster's tweaked BIOS in hex edit. Then, the values where both the VBIOS's have E0C810 (1.1 V) would be the max voltage and where ever shranzmaster's bios has E0C810 where the stock BIOS does NOT have that value would be the min voltage. I think somewhere near there would also be the clocks and/or power state each voltage corresponds to.

I'm not sure if this is even how this works but logically, it makes sense to me.

Shranzmaster's BIOS prevents throttling, downclocking, downvolting, and changes the base clocks to 1200 core and 2700 mem.

&& Here is a BIOS I tweaked which is based on shranzmaster's, but voltage is increased to 1.200 V and is stable, and also has base clocks 1200/2700. Both of these tweaked BIOS are based on svl7's 2.07 unlocked BIOS (sorry 8.0x users DX).

Link to Shranzmaster's modded BIOS (1.10 V): http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/nvidia/11088d1393679418-y580_v2.07_660m1-20ghz_steady-voltage_2-8ghzmem_nothrottling.zip

Link to my BIOS (1.20 V): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-YbO6MQ7Mz1eEpqaUFPY2tmbU0/edit?usp=sharing

Here is one more, 1.2125 V

I'm able to do 1400 core / 2880 mem which can almost gets me a 4000 for 3dmark11

Initial 3dmark11 score: 3983

Optimal BIOS settings (...for performance, not battery!):

• Power -> advanced cpu control -> Disable power MSR lock, change long turbo time lmit 28 => 56 (credit to schranzmaster)
  • Disable C-States
  • (Optional) Disable Power States (This gives me mixed results, and cpu-z gives me an error with this on)
  • Advanced -> Video -> PCI Express -> Change ASPM from LoLs1 -> Disabled

Holy smokes, that's some crazy OC. What kind of temp you are getting? I assume you repaste and use cooler?

I went to 1.125V (1290 core /2850 mem) and got 3267 graphic score compared to 3742 of yours. That setup reach a peak temp of 85 C already..

I just posted my result on NBR yesterday and looks like our ASIC quality is somewhat similar.

Repasted, currently not using HHD and DVD bay so both areas are empty so allows for slightly better airflow. I use two coolers (long story) and sits next to my window where its cold. Max temps are 74-76 under normal conditions. ill post a gpu z screenshot after an hr of skyrim or something later

EDIT: After 2 hrs of dota 2:

8w3.png

EDIT 2: After ~hr of skyrim

gr9.png

That's nice! Well guess I could remove the DVD but it's a bit dusty here so probably not the best idea for me.

I want to repaste and did some research on it. But some said if overheating is not a problem and you are not confident, better keep it that way :P

Well I guess it's a great improvement already. Btw as expected, the battery life drop a bit but I guess that's not a bad tradeoff

The only known way to control the fan speed is via hard mod, but doing so just forces the fan to run full speed at all times. I'm not sure where specifically I read it, but shouldn't be too difficult to find on google.

I know your question was already answered, but disabling optimus on this laptop is impossible. The closest you'd get to disabling integrated graphics would be muxing it to an external display, which according to svl7 is impossible.

@ErYani,

If what I'm thinking is what you're talking about, then to change the max and min dynamic voltages, you can compare the stock BIOS with schranzmaster's tweaked BIOS in hex edit. Then, the values where both the VBIOS's have E0C810 (1.1 V) would be the max voltage and where ever shranzmaster's bios has E0C810 where the stock BIOS does NOT have that value would be the min voltage. I think somewhere near there would also be the clocks and/or power state each voltage corresponds to.

I'm not sure if this is even how this works but logically, it makes sense to me.

Shranzmaster's BIOS prevents throttling, downclocking, downvolting, and changes the base clocks to 1200 core and 2700 mem.

&& Here is a BIOS I tweaked which is based on shranzmaster's, but voltage is increased to 1.200 V and is stable, and also has base clocks 1200/2700. Both of these tweaked BIOS are based on svl7's 2.07 unlocked BIOS (sorry 8.0x users DX).

Link to Shranzmaster's modded BIOS (1.10 V): http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/nvidia/11088d1393679418-y580_v2.07_660m1-20ghz_steady-voltage_2-8ghzmem_nothrottling.zip

Link to my BIOS (1.20 V): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-YbO6MQ7Mz1eEpqaUFPY2tmbU0/edit?usp=sharing

No,i couldnt find anyway on laptop.

What do you advice to me for more cooling performance?

And how can i run fan full speed?

Does anyone know how to change the max power limit for this card 660m in vbios?¿? I saw an option in Kepler bios tweaker but I wasn't sure If it would work. Im thinking that's the next "bottleneck" holding it back after having increased voltage and clocks