Odd power problem on Y580, any ideas?

Stuntman

Hi everyone,

I have encountered an odd power problem on my Lenovo Y580, running Windows 7 Ultimate, and need your help.

I have tried to do battery gauge reset, it was done last night, with the laptop plugged in the entire time. Once the battery was powered down, though, the machine stayed off. I could not power back on the Y580 afterwards. When I removed the battery and tried to turn on the computer using the AC power supply only, it also would not turn on.

Eventually I was able to power up the computer by disconnecting the AC power from the computer, disconnecting the AC power from the wall, removing the battery, letting the computer rest for a minute, then plugging in the AC power, but leaving the battery out and pressing the on button. If I then power down the computer, and attempt to replace the battery, the computer will not turn on and I have to repeat the process mentioned above. If the computer is running on AC power and I plug in the battery, it will charge. However, if I disconnect the AC power during charging and reconnect it, the battery will no longer charge, and the computer will shut down after the battery runs out, even though the AC power is connected the entire time. The computer cannot be powered on again then until I repeat the above procedure.

What is the problem and how do I fix it? I have never had so much trouble with a laptop, its battery, and its power supply as with the Y580. I have tried the trick with pushing power button for 30 seconds, it doesnt help me. I heard that this problem is somehow connected with a motherboard. If so, do yo know how much will it cost to repair it?

You're gonna need to send it in for a motherboard or total replacement. Should be completely covered under warranty since it's entirely their fault. Running the battery gauge reset kills these laptops. Many, many owners of this and other IdeaPad models have done this with the exact same results. It's a serious motherboard defect Lenovo has known about for quite a while but never done anything for.

Yep, just had my board replaced a few weeks ago for the same reason. The relay on the board that allows it to cut over to AC power while a battery is inserted is toast. Sometimes the AC brick will fry too; it looks like Lenovo accidentally shipped a 90w brick with my system instead of a 120w brick... my brick fried when this happened to me and the replacement they sent out is beefier/of a different design. It's a really unfortunate pain in the ass.

You're gonna need to send it in for a motherboard or total replacement. Should be completely covered under warranty since it's entirely their fault. Running the battery gauge reset kills these laptops. Many, many owners of this and other IdeaPad models have done this with the exact same results. It's a serious motherboard defect Lenovo has known about for quite a while but never done anything for.

I thought v2.03 owners and later didn't have this problem. That's what I read.

Good thing I read this. I was planning to do this during next week or so.

Nah, it definitely still occurs on newer systems than those with 2.03. Mine shipped with Windows 8 and was therefore 8.01... same shit.

He's referring to the Y500, which has BIOS versions numbered as 1.0x, 2.0x, not the Y580. But I'm not surprised this is happening to other IdeaPad models as well. It seems to be a rampant problem.