PonchoPowerPhD

Okay, so I'm thinking about upgrading my cpu in my laptop in a year or so. I have a Y500 with a i5-3230M, and I want to put in an i7-3612QM because it's a quad core. I've looked and it's the same voltage as my current cpu, and the same socket. However, I want to know whether the cpu in the Y500 is socketed or soldered in, can I take it out safely and put a new cpu in? Also, if I do put in a new cpu, what do I have to do to accommodate it? Do I have to get a new bios? Also, can my motherboard support a cpu that draws 45W instead of 35W? There are Y500's with cpus that draw 45W, so will it work the same in my laptop?

Thanks

Okay, so I'm thinking about upgrading my cpu in my laptop in a year or so. I have a Y500 with a i5-3230M, and I want to put in an i7-3612QM because it's a quad core. I've looked and it's the same voltage as my current cpu, and the same socket. However, I want to know whether the cpu in the Y500 is socketed or soldered in, can I take it out safely and put a new cpu in? Also, if I do put in a new cpu, what do I have to do to accommodate it? Do I have to get a new bios? Also, can my motherboard support a cpu that draws 45W instead of 35W? There are Y500's with cpus that draw 45W, so will it work the same in my laptop?

Thanks

The only way to know if your motherboard supports 45W CPUs is by dismantling the whole thing and look up the FRU if you find it. I would rather just buy the 3632QM instead. That 0.2GHz wont make a lot of difference.