[SOFTWARE MOD] Backlight Controller with LightFX

savvas

custom light controller (for 8 color keyboards only!)

post-11025-14494996265446_thumb.jpg

post-11025-1449499568782_thumb.jpg

-What it is:

This is a custom backlight controller intended for Clevo models with backlit keyboards. It is a replacement for the standard Clevo keyboard app. By default it works like the original. If you want to take advantage of some of the advanced effects you’ll have to set the app to start with windows (there are all sorts of option in the settings page, top right)

-Project status:

A first public beta is available for download

-Issues/bugs:

-Prerequisites:

-Hotkey driver MUST be installed and working.

-.NET 4.5 is required. Windows 8 have it by default. Other systems need to install it by hand.

-Installation:

Run the setup and follow the instructions

-New effects

So far we have 3 new effects:

1) Temperature/Usage lighting. Some of you will probably already know that one. It's using pizzadude223's code. Lights change depending on temperature of CPU/GPU. Dual GPU's supported

2) Audio lighting. Lights change depending on intensity of the music. Keep in mind that lowering the latency will increase CPU usage so try to find the sweet spot on your system

3) Heartbeat. Lights follow a heartbeat pattern that increases in speed according to CPU usage

4)Adaptive color effect

This effect works for applications that run in non-exclusive mode. That means windows apps and games running in either windowed or borderless modes only (ie no fullscreen).

This mode lets you color the keyboard based on what happens on the screen.

You have 2 basic modes, “Aero” which basically colors the keyboard according to the aero color in windows and “Screen Average” which scans the screen to determine what the average color is.

When you use Screen Average you have certain extra ways to tweak your color. You can choose whether to use a single color for the whole keyboard or use a different one for each keyboard region. When you use 3 colors, each color is decided based on what happens on the screen part that’s over that region.

You can further tweak coloring by specifying what part of the screen will take place in the decision. You can have the whole screen or just the lower or upper half. That’s useful if for example you’re playing a game that most action takes place in only half the screen. For example in a racing game the upper half of the screen is usually just sky.

There is an option that will affect the sensitivity to color changes, that’s what the minimum diversion does. Lower will be more sensitive.

You can also choose whether you want brightness to vary with colors or not. The minimum brightness makes sure that the brightness will not fall under any circumstances bellow that limit.

The update rate is like in other effects the speed by which the effect refreshes. A word of notice on this one, this effect is a very complex operation; it’s not a simple thing. If you overdo it you will get a SEVERE performance hit. I find that 50ms is a good compromise between speed and performance.

Keep in mind that this is still a BETA.

It means that bugs are normal to be found. We will try to address them in turn but you’ll have to be patient.

I’d welcome any comments or bugs you may have to report but in order to make it easier I want you to always post your specs along with a detailed explanation of what you are reporting.

Also make sure that the problem is repeatable.

-Licenses

This is freeware. You may use it freely. I would appreciate distributors interested contacting one us of first

if you would like to support our effort:

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post" target="_top">

<input name="cmd" value="_s-xclick" type="hidden">

<input name="hosted_button_id" value="DV2X6ELM4Q4SN" type="hidden">

<input src="https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_donate_LG.gif" name="submit" alt="PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!" border="0" type="image">

pixel.gif

</form>

-Themes

Apart from the default themes (That you can switch via the settings menu) you can create your own too. The app’s theme engine is modular. It means that you can theme only the items you want, without the need to change everything. It is very flexible but it has it’s limits so be careful if you’re a newbie. If your theme crashes the app, just delete it and the functionality will be restored.

The themes are each stored in a unique folder located in Hotkey’s installed location (c:\Program Files (x86)\Hotkey\themes).

The theme’s name is its folder name.

You will see that there is a “template” theme. It’s a guide to help you on your first steps. Be sure to read both the readme.txt as well as the theme.txt placed in there. They describe most of the stuff you’ll need…

-Download

You can download the app from here or from out site: clevomods | home of the Custom light controller and LightFX library

-Changelog

0.0.6.0: 2/11/13

-added effect 'adaptive color'. Mode to drive colors/brightness based on aero color or average screen color

-fixed colorwheel bug now showing properly on custom color panel

-fixed not resuming after sleep bug

-added tray access to effects& profiles

0.0.5.9: 14/10/13

-bugfix with non admin execution of app

0.0.5.8: 14/10/13

-added theme support

-fixed colorwheel bug now showing properly on custom color cycle panel

-added brightness driven only mode to audio panel

0.0.5.7: 25/9/13

-added new rendering modes to audio panel

-added import/export in custom color cycles

-added temperature/usage driven brightness in temperature panel

-newer hardware monitoring library(better support for Haswell CPUs)

-fixed application positioning when taskbar is in a position other than bottom

-fixed tray icon bug missing sometimes

-beat detection algorithm tweaks

-audio panel tweaks

-fixed flickering on progressbars

0.0.5.6: 12/9/13

-bugfixes crash during startup on some systems

-better exception catching

-better SM series compatibility

-better tray temperature handling(for those who were experiencing hangs in temperature mode after running the app for some time)

-better powersavings behavior

-added installer

-Also in this version you don't need to close ledkb in order for LightFX to work.

When ledkb is running, it detects whether LightFX is in use. If it is, it "pauses" ledkb until LightFX is finished (i.e. you exit the game) and then resumes.

0.0.5.5: 5/9/13

-bugfixes hide from alt-tab when minimized to tray

0.0.5.4: 15/8/13

-bugfixes causing crash on startup

0.0.5.3: 12/8/13

-replaced colorstrip with an animated alienware style colorwheel

-added brightness slider in custom color panel

0.0.5.2: 30/7/13

-Added new effect. Custom Color cycle. You can create a user specified sequence of lighting.

-Added tray icons for temperatures in Temperature mode.

0.0.5.1: 17/7/13

-Fixed starting with Windows with Administrative rights (You will still need to run the app as Administrator in order to set this option)

-Minor fixes in resizing

-Fixes in trigger mechanism

0.0.5.0: 13/7/13

-Fixed Haswell CPUs temperature monitoring

-Added windowed mode with floating resizable windows

0.0.4.9: 11/7/13

-Custom temperature colors and temperature ranges

-Option to disable polling when on battery

-Option to disable LightFX library (You still have to install it separately)

-GUI is cleaner, most of the options are up top now

post-11025-14494995536785_thumb.jpg

post-11025-1449499568853_thumb.jpg

Backlight Controller with LightFX v0.0.5.6.zip

Backlight Controller with LightFX v0.0.5.7.zip

post-11025-14494996264282_thumb.jpg

post-11025-14494996264871_thumb.jpg

Backlight Controller with LightFX v0.0.5.9.zip

Backlight Controller with LightFX v0.0.6.0.zip

• Thumbs Up 24

Awesome! Now I just wish I would have a back-light keyboard. What features are planned?

Hi Prema.

well, if there's no hardware limitation i guess pretty much anything is possible.

For starters:

More effect modes.

Temperature driven effects.

Custom userprofiles.

I'm looking into the possibility of using alienFX's ability for games to change the color by themselves but i can't promise anything at this stage.

we're also open to suggestions

I like the sound of this. The clevo software annoys the hell out of me. Stupid layovers for just changing the volume minimize many full screen programs, but I have to put up with stupid things like that to have pretty lights.

a beta is out for testing

I'd like to gladly test the software (I've got a P370EM). I can provide a clean Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation (working with Acronis), so switching between different images wouldn't be of a problem for me.

sent you a test version, let me know how it goes

I've got a P150SM that I could trial this on if it's compatible.

Temperature driven.......... very nice!

i can't send you a pm, try making 5-6 posts first

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you for working on this! I am willing to Beta Test, if you still need more people; I have a Sager NP9150 (Clevo P150EM), with the AMD 7970M/Intel HD 4000... I will provide honest and thorough feedback, after extensive testing...

I'm not sure if PM-ing will work, since I still this is a new account here, but I'll do what I can to get that up and working, if you want to get a-hold of me.

Thanks,

Trailblazer101

Great news on the upcoming lighting control software, we dearly need something better than the stock Clevo effort. A cool touch would be a fade into your profile/user setting from the default Blue (I believe that is start-up default for all Clevo machines). Would look much better than the current jarring jump. If you need another tester, I'm running P370EM, 680M Sli with Prima's bios mod and SL7's VBios Mod.