Latest NVFLASH for Windows & DOS

svl7

Added a version that should work. Anyways, if you have a desktop it's much more comfortable to flash from within Windows.

If given the option I always prefer to flash BIOSes (especially motherboards) in DOS rather than Windows. It's so easy to do a one time setup on a flash drive to make it bootable. Since DOS is more low level and has less stuff going on in the background, it is much safer anyway to flash In DOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI to those wondering this is for flashing an ultrabay 750m in a y500 with the latest firmware on the y500 thread.

On 5.142 I still get the PCI Block corrupted error. The older 750 firmware flashes but it doesn't seem to remove the 135 limit. The newer firmware throws that error.

Edit : Same with the dos version.

Edit 2 : Somewhere in all this the older 750 firmware worked and now shows up with the proper (MODIFIED) label in inspector with the limits properly removed. So I think I'm good despite the newer firmware not flashing due to that error. It just means I have different versions between my onboard card and the ultrabay one.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it worth it to try flashing via DOS if I'm temporarily bricking when flashing on windows? I'm having to connect via the IGP and flash back to stock bios.

Probably worth a try booting to DOS on a USB key and using nvflash there, although chances are that you'll encounter the same issues with nvflash on DOS and you are on Windows. Personally, I'm never comfortable with flashing on Windows and always use the DOS version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Soooooooooooo sad, I can't have

nvflash.exe --save vgabios.rom

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

E:\>nvflash.exe --save vgabios.rom

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.151)

Adapter: NVS 4200M (10DE,1056,1028,0494) H:--:NRM B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

The display may go *BLANK* on and off for up to 10 seconds during access to the

EEPROM depending on your display adapter and output device.

Identifying EEPROM...

EEPROM ID (20,00FF) : Unknown

ERROR: Supported EEPROM not found

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(