Reference or non-reference cards in SLI?

zeusapollon

Hello.

What would you say is the best solution for SLI cards, reference or non-reference cards?

The 2 GTX 780 Windforce 3X I have in an order at a netshop have in benchmarks around 10 degrees celcius lower temps than the referance cards with only 1 card mounted, but how will this compare with referance cards in SLI?

Reference cards blow the heat out back, and the non-reference cards push the air out in the cabinet again.

I have 200mm intake fans both at the front and at the side, so was thinking this should be enough for pushing away the hot air made by the gpu cards.

Have still time to change the order before the cards will be sent 20.06, just don't want to order something for that price, if the cooling won't be enough.

Would really appreciate your thoughts about this.

I would just go with SLI Windforce cards. I have one and have to say it is just so great. I'm talking GPU temperature of 68C with fan completely silent in the low 40% range (this is at stock with no OC for now). The cooler is so great I would still opt for it even though a little more hot air will be circulating in the case. Given your situation too where you have 200mm intake fans, it's more than enough to compensate. You can't go wrong with these cards.

• Founder
Hello.

What would you say is the best solution for SLI cards, reference or non-reference cards?

The 2 GTX 780 Windforce 3X I have in an order at a netshop have in benchmarks around 10 degrees celcius lower temps than the referance cards with only 1 card mounted, but how will this compare with referance cards in SLI?

Reference cards blow the heat out back, and the non-reference cards push the air out in the cabinet again.

I have 200mm intake fans both at the front and at the side, so was thinking this should be enough for pushing away the hot air made by the gpu cards.

Have still time to change the order before the cards will be sent 20.06, just don't want to order something for that price, if the cooling won't be enough.

What are you using to cool your CPU? As long as the CPU and chipset are fine then go with the non-reference versions. If heat build up is an issue, then blower is better.

Thanks Dopamin3 and Brian, that was just what I was thinking.

I'm using a NZXT Kraken X60 closed waterloop for cooling the cpu, so that shouldn't get too effected.

Have read many would say reference cards are the best solution for SLI, but I just have trouble making sence out of this for my setup.

First take a look at this review done by Guru3D:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x OC review - Graphics card temperatures

A reference card will under full load reach 80 degrees c.

A non-reference card like the windforce X3 are reaching 67 degrees c under full load. That's 13 degrees difference.

In most SLI setups the upper card gets 8-10 degrees hotter, and that would take the reference card to about 90 degrees c.

Let's say the upper card in the windforce X3 will get 15 degrees hotter in SLI, due to the air blowing out in the case, that would still only reach 82 degrees c.

And with good airflow in the case, plus a Corsair High Pressure 2350rpm fan pushing air directley in between the cards from the side, and a 200mm side panel case fan, wouldn't this have better potensial reaching better temperatures?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello.

Get 2 classified's, 2 lightnings, or 2 evga 780 sc acx. I am running 2 classified's in sli and using air coolers until the waterblocks release. My rig is setup for water so the airflow isn't the greatest and I am not having a problem. My temps are at about 75c while gaming but only because I am using 1.35v. You will be fine with non-reference cards and your setup.

Since you waited this long since the 780 release you might as well get the fastest 780 available since all models are released except for the lightning which should be out soon.

Errrrrr, add UK Classifieds to the list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...