Need help with buying SSD!

I have an Alienware M17X R4 with single 1TB HDD @5400 RPM drive. I need some more performance in terms of read and write and am looking to buy a SSD. I will be mainly installing the OS and applications on the SSD so as to increase the system response. When it comes to SSD, I am empty.

So any suggestions, how to find a suitable one, buying tips will be appreciated within a budget of approx $260.

Any suggestions related are welcome. Thank you.

Well, id personally go for a crucial m4 256 GB. But if you only want to put the os on it, then the 128 GB models are fine. If you want higher speed, look at the samsung 840 pro line.

Basically, get something at least 128 GB, it wont become cramped in the future for basic os usage.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the "best" choices are Crucial M4, Samsung 840 (or slightly older 830 which is I believe somewhat faster than 840 nonpro) and Sandisk Extreme. I've had decent experience with other brands too; I still have two working OCZ Vertex 2. I found no difference between difference SSDs in terms of speed in day to day usage, so I'd go with whatever seems most reliable (I usually go on newegg and check out the number of 1/5 reviews).

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the Crucial M500 series which is the successor to the M4 line. I have had only good experiences with my M4s.

I'd recommend the Samsung 840 Pro, Crucial M500 or OCZ Vertex 4.

I've been using a 60GB Intel 520 Series SSD for about a year and a half now. Not the fastest SSD on the block, but it is treating me well. As previously stated, do not even THINK about getting anything less than 120GB.

There are some applications that do not let you select the installation directory, so I have to let it install somewhere on C:\ then I move it over to my HDD and setup a symlink. It gets annoying/difficult to keep some free space on a 60GB SSD.

I think the "best" choices are Crucial M4, Samsung 840 (or slightly older 830 which is I believe somewhat faster than 840 nonpro) and Sandisk Extreme. I've had decent experience with other brands too; I still have two working OCZ Vertex 2. I found no difference between difference SSDs in terms of speed in day to day usage, so I'd go with whatever seems most reliable (I usually go on newegg and check out the number of 1/5 reviews).

Agree. The best in price/performance. I'm thinking about upgrade my RAID 0 3X500Gb Hitachi 7200.5 to 2XSSD RAID 0 + 1Tb 7200 HDD

• 2 weeks later...

Agree as well. I'm running the Crucial M4 256 model in both my notebooks (a Samsung Series 9 and a Lenovo Y500) and I'm really pleased with the performance of them.

I have had the OCZ vertex 4 128GB in the past, and now have the crucial M4 256GB. Both of them are good SSDs in my opinion, with the M4 looking to bench better in my case.

I noticed with some steam games, such as farcry 3, that I needed to have it installed on my SSD to work properly. Not that big of a deal, but can be annoying on a smaller sized SSD.

Can't go wrong with Crucial M4 IMO. Great performance for the price, although if you want better performance I'd recommend the 840 series by Samsung. Currently using the 500 GB model for my new Alienware 18 and had used it for a couple of months in my old m17x R2 and it's worked flawlessly. Can catch some good deals on Newegg with the 840s.