Upgrading a GT780DX-277US (MS-1761) to a GTX780M

bondjame12

Hi all,

I've got a similar issue as soe of the folks in here.

Basically, I've got an MSI GT780 DX-406US. It's based on the MS-1761. It originally had a 570m, but it has basically given up the ghost (can't play anything, random full system freezes during 3D gaming, but not during any 3D testing or benchmarking). I love this dang thing, so I'm trying to get it back up and running, and read somewhere else that the card could not only be replaced, but replaced with an 'upgrade'.

Some heavy googling and this forum popped up. I have been taking extensive notes, but I'm still a little leery of making the jump on this purchase (400$ sounds like a ton of money to spend on something that might not even work).

Some questions:

1.) Will this card work? It says it's for the clevo. New NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3 0 Type B for Clevo Alienware MSI | eBay

2.) What is the suggestion for the cooling on this? I keep eharing about thermal pads (I'm used to just thermal paste so I feel like a noob here), but does anyone have an actual recommendation?

3.) Should I expect to have to update my laptop's bios, the card's bios, or both? Is there anything I can do to prepare for this (like flashing the bios now instead of when I get the card)?

4.) Is there any other advice i should take on swapping this card out?

Any/all help is greatly appreciated. And if I would be better off starting a new post, please let me know.

-LJ

Hi all,

I've got a similar issue as soe of the folks in here.

Basically, I've got an MSI GT780 DX-406US. It's based on the MS-1761. It originally had a 570m, but it has basically given up the ghost (can't play anything, random full system freezes during 3D gaming, but not during any 3D testing or benchmarking). I love this dang thing, so I'm trying to get it back up and running, and read somewhere else that the card could not only be replaced, but replaced with an 'upgrade'.

Some heavy googling and this forum popped up. I have been taking extensive notes, but I'm still a little leery of making the jump on this purchase (400$ sounds like a ton of money to spend on something that might not even work).

Some questions:

1.) Will this card work? It says it's for the clevo. New NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3 0 Type B for Clevo Alienware MSI | eBay

2.) What is the suggestion for the cooling on this? I keep eharing about thermal pads (I'm used to just thermal paste so I feel like a noob here), but does anyone have an actual recommendation?

3.) Should I expect to have to update my laptop's bios, the card's bios, or both? Is there anything I can do to prepare for this (like flashing the bios now instead of when I get the card)?

4.) Is there any other advice i should take on swapping this card out?

Any/all help is greatly appreciated. And if I would be better off starting a new post, please let me know.

-LJ

1. The card has to be from Clevo not just for Clevo.

2. Use 0.5mm quality pads like phobya 7w/mk or shin etsu.

3. No BIOS flashing required.

4. Do a power drain, maybe use ESD mat and bracelet.

The one thing I've noticed re: fps drops - if you cap your FPS in whatever game you're playing you can decrease the frequency of drops, but they still happen. Hitting the 100% fan button also helps to reduce the frequency.

1. The card has to be from Clevo not just for Clevo.

2. Use 0.5mm quality pads like phobya 7w/mk or shin etsu.

3. No BIOS flashing required.

4. Do a power drain, maybe use ESD mat and bracelet.

Well, I got it in fine, thanks for your help.

Ran into problems with it not recognizing the hardware. Ended up finding someone else's similar issue on this, and found a link that allowed me to install nvidia drivers, but I'm assuming there is some weird 'issue' with Nvidia, as the website and the geforce experience, and even the 'autodetect' on nvidia all say that I need new drivers, but the drivers they download can't find valid hardware.

TL;DR: Got it to work with a modified inf, probably have to flash the card with a new bios to avoid this whole rigamarole with hunting down new INF's every time a new driver version comes out. Any suggestions on a bios to use? ( Found this: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html ) but I'm not sure if that's what I need, plus I think I'm still too new of a user to be allowed access to any download links.

If it will help anyone, let me know if you need me to post what/how I did the swap. It was pretty gosh-darned simple once I read the directions a few times.

The one thing I've noticed re: fps drops - if you cap your FPS in whatever game you're playing you can decrease the frequency of drops, but they still happen. Hitting the 100% fan button also helps to reduce the frequency.

Herrick,

I fixed my problem with FPS drops. It is tied to temp and it has something to do with the way the 770m talks back to the CPU, anyway.. I tried setting Throttlestop to x22, but that just made the drops less frequent. Then I ran across an Alienware forum post that said to uncheck the BCPROxx something or other box in throttlestop. As soon as I did that everything is butter smooth. The GPU stays at 96~99 load all the time. Hope this helps you out

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

I have a problem, I bought an "One Gaming Notebook G92 Geforce GTX 570m", and now the GPU is defective.

It's overheating and thermalpaste isn't working, because the Die seems fried to me, it has a somewhat dark space on it.

Now I would like to upgrade my gpu, but I'm totally unsure what I have to consider by doing so.

This is my laptop, don't even know which Barebone it has, maybe somebody else can help me with this?

</title> <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1"> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <title>by: One - ONE Computer Shop

And I would like to upgrade the gpu to a 8970M

New ATI Radeon HD 8970M 4GB MXM 3.0 Type B For Clevo | eBay

Is this even possible, do I have to flash a new bios, vbios, where can I find it, do I need a new power supply, what about the frame drops somebody mentioned

by using a Geforce 770m?

Hope somebody can help me here.

Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...
You managed to run a 570m at 1600mhz core clock?

That's why I said 800Mhz Base clock... The GTX570M still used hot clock for the shaders... So yes and no... The shaders ran at 1600Mhz ... Maybe I should have said 800Mhz Core/ 1600Mhz Shader...

800Mhz is amazing considering the card was sold with about 500Mhz...

That's why I said 800Mhz Base clock... The GTX570M still used hot clock for the shaders... So yes and no... The shaders ran at 1600Mhz ... Maybe I should have said 800Mhz Core/ 1600Mhz Shader...

800Mhz is amazing considering the card was sold with about 500Mhz...

+300mhz, not bad. Nice to see a reply after a year :P

Ooh nice, which laptop do you have now?

I switched from Medion (MSI whitebook) to MSI and after evaluation the drawbacks and benefits of the GT72 I bought a GT72 (I decided that I do not care that I need to reboot to switch from Nvidia to Intel HD and have no optimus... Having no optimus makes some things actually easier... And that I do not care about not beeing able to change the battery...)...

But enough OT talk :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone, hope someone sees this...

uh, I've also stumbled upon the same problem as this forum, the gtx570m dying... and I started searching and all, found this forum, its nice to know that the 770m works.

can anybody tell me if the 780m works in the gt780dxr or not? I am on the verge of purchasing a card right now, so any advice is greatly appreciated :)

GTX 780M will not Work,it is a Kepler GK104 Chip.

All GK104 Chips like GTX670MX,GTX675MX,GTX680M,GTX780M,GTX880M and Quadro Cards on GK104 are not working in MS-1761.

Only GK106 like GTX 765M and GTX 770M will work there,GTX 765M only with modified Drivers.

Here is one GTX 770M on Ebay:181906721419

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

I just dropped off my GT780DX to get it upgraded to GTX980M. 
But in their correspondence, they kept referring to GTX980  .... "no M"..... hmmmm.....

regardless, If all goes well, I will be charged S$1177 - USD870.

Fingers-crossed

Edited by DL

On March 31, 2016 at 1:33 AM, DL said:

I just dropped off my GT780DX to get it upgraded to GTX980M. 
But in their correspondence, they kept referring to GTX980  .... "no M"..... hmmmm.....

regardless, If all goes well, I will be charged S$1177 - USD870.

Fingers-crossed

Please keep this post updated. I am wondering why you decide to use up $870USD to upgrade your card to GTX980 for that much? So expensive price just to upgrade!?

On 4/4/2016 at 6:00 AM, Bizeek said:

Please keep this post updated. I am wondering why you decide to use up $870USD to upgrade your card to GTX980 for that much? So expensive price just to upgrade!?

I was looking for a new laptop with a GTX980M, and over in Singapore, we have very few reasonably priced options... so it was either an ASUS G751JY (starting at S$2900 and above) or some Clevo-rebranded (Aftershock) laptop starting around S$2500...  (around USD1850-2150). But in either case, I would have to reinstall and transfer all my stuff. ... not something I was keen to do.

Since the MSI GTX980M MXM kit was available locally at a proper store, and they would not only install, mod, but guarantee (if it fails, they would be responsible for the upgrade), I went for that. The cheapest upgrade card I could find on ebay was a Clevo GTX980M at around the same price, without the guarantee, modding and installation.

UPDATE
I have received my newly upgraded laptop (and parted with the money) last Friday, and not only does it allow me to run Battlefield 4 in ULTRA, 1080p - I have never had a better time playing a game, the card actually runs COOLER than the old 570m using the same heatsink.

Now, I am going to replay all the older games that I was forced to play at medium/low settings, including BF hL, COD AW, MGSVPP, COD SO3,.... and once my shiny new SSD and SATA (DVD-replacement) drive arrive, the Division. New Fan and Wireless card too... 

ULTRA settings Rock!

Edited by DL

• 3 years later...

hi all. i know this thread is old and hasn't seen any new posts in 3 years, but i have had the same experience. i have a msi gt780dxr and my 570m died, so i bought a 770m from eurocom. Put the card in and it boots up fine. Windows recognizes it, installs the driver, but when i check device manager it says "windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems".

currently im running the following;

windows 7

motherboard bios version 30H

vbios version 80.06.54.00.11

i've loaded default settings in the comp bios, and i flashed the vbios a couple of times to no avail. windows recognizes the 770m but disables it. gpuz also recognizes the 770m as installed, even shows the drivers as installed. i can also set the screen resolution to maximum. As well i have no sound, i believe because the nvidia driver isn't installed correctly? 

any ideas how to get this card working 100% ? i'm not sure what else i can try... maybe a fresh install of windows?

screen2.png

edit: tried installing windows 10 but same problem

Edited by aloima
too large