Upgrading a GT780DX-277US (MS-1761) to a GTX780M

bondjame12

Right, so I need to get the Clevo one. I'm sorely tempted to just ebay my laptop minus graphics card and HDD and then buy a new one. ...anyone interested in a MSI 1761 imported from XoticPC.com? :)

Yes, MSI and Dell cards have failed to work in this machine, even with Clevo VBIOS on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

After already buying one non-CLEVO 770m, I'm reluctant to buy another just incase it isn't compatible.

I was looking at this and thinking it looked like the one, however the description says that the picture is just representative.

The only other one is this one, which has bugger-all item description, so who knows.

Perhaps I'm just better off getting a 670M and not risking another incompatible card from a not especially return-friendly marketplace. What do you guys think?

If one of your friends has another laptop with 3rd gen of i7 (clevo/aw/msi doesn't matter) you can use it to put 770M inside and flash clevo/msi vBIOS on it.

Don't know if it will work but worth to try before buying new one.

Try with clevo 770M before you buy 670M it's a huge difference between them when it comes to performance.

After already buying one non-CLEVO 770m, I'm reluctant to buy another just incase it isn't compatible.

I was looking at this and thinking it looked like the one, however the description says that the picture is just representative.

The only other one is this one, which has bugger-all item description, so who knows.

Perhaps I'm just better off getting a 670M and not risking another incompatible card from a not especially return-friendly marketplace. What do you guys think?

I bought one from mokkin and it works flawless. Another option is buying a 7970m, you should be able to get one at around the same price as a gtx 770m. But you'll need to either modify a heatsink or buy one from a gx60.

If one of your friends has another laptop with 3rd gen of i7 (clevo/aw/msi doesn't matter) you can use it to put 770M inside and flash clevo/msi vBIOS on it.

Don't know if it will work but worth to try before buying new one.

Try with clevo 770M before you buy 670M it's a huge difference between them when it comes to performance.

It doesn't seem to be VBIOS related so flashing it won't make any difference.

It does? Mokkin's Hong Kong based, isn't he? Did you wait long for delivery?

Also, what is your processor and mainboard - MS-1761 with a i72670QM, right? (I have one of these: http://www.msiwhitebook.com/product_spec.asp?model=MS-1761-ID1 with the upgraded processor).

EDIT] Also, if post pics of the current 770m I have, will you be able to identify whether it's a compatible one or not? I just don't want to order off of Mokkin only to find that it's actually something to do with my mainboard...

It does? Mokkin's Hong Kong based, isn't he? Did you wait long for delivery?

Also, what is your processor and mainboard - MS-1761 with a i72670QM, right? (I have one of these: MSI Notebook Product Specifications with the upgraded processor).

EDIT] Also, if post pics of the current 770m I have, will you be able to identify whether it's a compatible one or not? I just don't want to order off of Mokkin only to find that it's actually something to do with my mainboard...

Yeah, I bought this one New NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3 0 Type B for Clevo Alienware MSI | eBay

The shipping was crazy fast. I ordered it one day and by the next day it was already in the US. Took about a week from that point, but that's all on USPS.

Yeah, I bought this one New NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3 0 Type B for Clevo Alienware MSI | eBay

The shipping was crazy fast. I ordered it one day and by the next day it was already in the US. Took about a week from that point, but that's all on USPS.

That's good to hear. I ask because Mokkin seems to be a vendor from HongKong. Perhaps he has distributors in the UK and US.

Before I go ahead and get ANOTHER 770m, can you confirm what your MOBO and processor is?

That's good to hear. I ask because Mokkin seems to be a vendor from HongKong. Perhaps he has distributors in the UK and US.

Before I go ahead and get ANOTHER 770m, can you confirm what your MOBO and processor is?

As long as it's a 1761 with a sandybridge processor (the i7-2000's) it should work.

As long as it's a 1761 with a sandybridge processor (the i7-2000's) it should work.

Cheers for the confirmation UFO!

I noticed a few pages back you said you were getting FPS drops, did you manage to resolve those? How bad were the drops and when did they strike?

Cheers for the confirmation UFO!

I noticed a few pages back you said you were getting FPS drops, did you manage to resolve those? How bad were the drops and when did they strike?

They're still there, but i'm still unsure what the problem is. It's definitely not heat, so possibly power consumption??? The drops vary by game. I get them in War Thunder and Kerbal Space Program, but not in Fallout NV. When it does drop, it drops to around 15fps in both.

So, does anyone know if Xonar's unlocked G-series bios allows for control of the GPU power consumption?

Ok, so my new 770m should be arriving tomorrow. As above, I've previously had a 570m. Other than doing a clean Nvidia driver install, what else do I need to do following putting the card in?

You need to rearrange the thermal pads to fit the 770m's slightly different layout, and if they are 0.5mm which is optimal you'll need to put either a 1mm or 2x0.5mm pads on top of each other on the 4 VRAM's here

post-6549-14494996940776_thumb.jpg

Do you have a modded .inf?

• Thumbs Up 2

I've taken out my micrometer and measured the thickness of that area on both cards and they're exactly the same... Are you sure that's the offending area?

I do not... where do I get that and what do I do with that? xD

EDIT] Ok! So graphics card installed, it posts, I get through the boot screen, the Windows Starting screen appears, then I get a blue-screen which disappears too soon for me to read, then it cycles to boot again, and then asks how I want to start Windows.

I'm assuming that THIS is a bios thing, so I'm going to flash the bios mentioned earlier and see if that works.

EDIT2] Ok, so tried to flash bios but apparently it is not compatible with the existing bios and will not flash. The files used were: http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/1839-msi-g-series-unlocked-bios.html

(MSI MS-1761 Unlocked.zip)

I should point out again that I have a whitebook - http://www.msiwhitebook.com/product_spec.asp?model=MS-1761-ID1

EDIT3] Ok, so I tried flashing the bios again with the update.bat however added /x (doesn't check BIOS ID) and it flashed fine, in that it didn't brick my system, however the problem of the Starting Windows > Blue screen error > cycle reboot still persists. Windows suggests Startup Repair, however going through with this doesn't change anything. :/

EDIT4] SOLUTION FOUND - when booting, DEL menu, then Advanced Settings, then changed SATA mode from RAID to AHCI. :) Done!

You need to rearrange the thermal pads to fit the 770m's slightly different layout, and if they are 0.5mm which is optimal you'll need to put either a 1mm or 2x0.5mm pads on top of each other on the 4 VRAM's here

[ATTACH]10292[/ATTACH]

Do you have a modded .inf?

No I don't, will try installing drivers with existing inf, if that fails will change it. (The link is on the prev. page, right?)

EDIT] Driver install failed, as expected. Looked for INF files specific to my laptop - couldn't find them, so flashed VBIOS to the one used by BigKid so as to avoid the whole INF swapping in the future: it worked! :) Driver update successful and now I have the ability to OC, though since I've only just gotten my lappy working again I'll probably give that a miss for a few weeks at least!

Thanks for all your help guys! :)

No I don't, will try installing drivers with existing inf, if that fails will change it. (The link is on the prev. page, right?)

EDIT] Driver install failed, as expected. Looked for INF files specific to my laptop - couldn't find them, so flashed VBIOS to the one used by BigKid so as to avoid the whole INF swapping in the future: it worked! :) Driver update successful and now I have the ability to OC, though since I've only just gotten my lappy working again I'll probably give that a miss for a few weeks at least!

Thanks for all your help guys! :)

Let us know if you get the FPS drops as well.

Hey! Yeah, getting drops on CSGO and Red Orchestra 2. I've always had drops on CSGO because it's poorly optimized, but never really on RO2. This is with ThrottleStop turned on as well. Not really that bothered by them at the moment, just glad to have a functional gamign PC again. I did notice that with VSync enabled I didn't get them on CSGO.

TBH, what I'm finding more annoying is the VBios gui at boot. Just those 3 lines...

Hey! Yeah, getting drops on CSGO and Red Orchestra 2. I've always had drops on CSGO because it's poorly optimized, but never really on RO2. This is with ThrottleStop turned on as well. Not really that bothered by them at the moment, just glad to have a functional gamign PC again. I did notice that with VSync enabled I didn't get them on CSGO.

TBH, what I'm finding more annoying is the VBios gui at boot. Just those 3 lines...

Same. I put up with the drops as well, although they can get annoying... What temps does it throttle at? Mine always seems to throttle between 58*C and 63*C.

• Thumbs Up 1

Same. I put up with the drops as well, although they can get annoying... What temps does it throttle at? Mine always seems to throttle between 58*C and 63*C.

I didn't realise it was a temperature related thing, I'll have to keep an eye on that. Shame ThrottleStop is ineffective. :/

EDIT Getting throttled at 54*C.

EDIT2 Yeah, definitely seems to be tied to temperature. I've been starting every game with the fan at 100% and it's been fine at 45ish*C, which is easy to maintain in my coooold room.

I didn't realise it was a temperature related thing, I'll have to keep an eye on that. Shame ThrottleStop is ineffective. :/

EDIT Getting throttled at 54*C.

EDIT2 Yeah, definitely seems to be tied to temperature. I've been starting every game with the fan at 100% and it's been fine at 45ish*C, which is easy to maintain in my coooold room.

Hmmm...I wonder if there is a way to figure out the default max temps.

• 1 month later...

guys I don't think it's the temps.

I've got the exact same card(blue clevo), in GT780 (2630qm) and I dont have any drops.

Using 150W acad.

I'm using throttlestop - Not tunred ON, just running in background (it says "Monitoring only" - I know this sounds stupid but I had drops every now and then When turned ON in performance mode... maybe because the cpu is not xtreme edition.) And I'm using Afterburner - not OC'd anything, just running in the background and set FPS cap to 60 (got 60Hz LCD so no point getting more than that.)

My card is running 65-75 C in load depending on the game... So I think your fps drops are not related to temperature.

I don't have a wire soldered to motherboard (this was supposed to help with GTX580M cards back in those days)

One thing that might be important - I'm using external screen. - always. If you can, try using external screen and see if this helps. I know, I don't understand either.

One thing is that Internal LCD backlight is managed by GPU bios (flashed wrong bios and backlight didnt work)- so these things might be somehow related.

Try throttlestop in monitoring only and try fpscap in afterburner.