Y580 SSD problem

masterross

Hi guys,

As in the other thread said I deleted all partitions on my HDD and SSD.

After that only one unallocated space appeared.

Also the SSD disappeared from the BIOS.

Today I decided to removed the SSD.

After this I was surprised that m Win8 starts for 15sec w/o it.

I putted SSD back and win started again for more then 2min.

Any idea what is wrong? And why it just disappeared from everywhere?

Thx!

Hi there.... I have my brand new Y580 i7, 1Tb hd with preinstalled Win8 [i think it´s home version] right now with unlocked Bios 8.01 thnks to the Master svl7, with an Crucial M4 Msata 256Gb SSd for the Os [actually Win 7 ultimate] and the Hd for storage.

My steps was 1st of all update Bios (nice and easy, great tools and easy tutorial from slv7 !!Thnks Again!!) if you planned in somehow to update the bios, do it previously a fresh installation of the Operating system cos sometimes you got Bsod´s after the bios get updated specially when the Os belongs to the SSd, I want to change my WirelessCard in a few weeks.

Then I took out the Hd of the laptop only leaving the SSd and made a fresh install of the windows 7, you need to change in Bios the boot from uefi (win8) to Legacy (other os), as usually.

I inserted my hd in the y580 and the Get rided of my shitty partitions of the Hd, and that´s all.

Hi there.... I have my brand new Y580 i7, 1Tb hd with preinstalled Win8 [i think it´s home version] right now with unlocked Bios 8.01 thnks to the Master svl7, with an Crucial M4 Msata 256Gb SSd for the Os [actually Win 7 ultimate] and the Hd for storage.

My steps was 1st of all update Bios (nice and easy, great tools and easy tutorial from slv7 !!Thnks Again!!) if you planned in somehow to update the bios, do it previously a fresh installation of the Operating system cos sometimes you got Bsod´s after the bios get updated specially when the Os belongs to the SSd, I want to change my WirelessCard in a few weeks.

Then I took out the Hd of the laptop only leaving the SSd and made a fresh install of the windows 7, you need to change in Bios the boot from uefi (win8) to Legacy (other os), as usually.

I inserted my hd in the y580 and the Get rided of my shitty partitions of the Hd, and that´s all.

Mate can you check in your bios what is listed?

Here is mine:

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

What model SSD are you using? Do you know for sure that it was working beforehand?

Hi mate,

Mine is stock Sandisk 16G:

SanDisk® U100 SSD (mSATA) - SDSA5DK-064G - SDSA5DK,64GB,SATA,Mtr-6,4X2D64MA02TSOP,4

And yes it was working before. At least it was listed in device manager.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just wanted to pipe in and say that it may be too late in your case, but I just did this a few days ago with Paragon Trial and a SATA Optical caddy. SSD into caddy, Migrate the HDD, turn off and switch them out and reboot. May have to re register a few items but worked like a charm. Is it giving u the Ocean Breeze Screen of Saving Error Info and restarting? Only way I was able to get out of that was to use the original HDD with a One Key Recovery Backup. However, as you changed the drive partitions I've read that causes errors with the OKR system . . . so you may be SOL. Best bet is a fresh install with a Windows Disk or USB. Make sure getdrivers too and to save any backups and data.

And the answer to your question is: Most likely cache drives, sleep and hibernation, which are controlled by ExpressCache and Intel Rapid Storage (someone on another thread said it was another Intel App so I could be wrong on that point) - bottom line is that data is stored in software controlled cache partitions for things live Rapid Boot and HDD caching. Also, even though something is "deleted" or "formatted" doesn't mean it's gone, especially if protected. Have you tried OKR or Fresh Install or Repair?

The SanDisk 16gb mSATA SSD crapped out on me also. I stuck a new one in there (not SanDisk of course because apparently they suck) and all is good again. No sense in troubleshooting it any further, it is the SSD itself that has gone bad. My went at about the 5 month mark, I've read quite a few posts around the forums and it is beginning to fail for others as well. Just like in your case. Sorry for the bad news.

The SanDisk 16gb mSATA SSD crapped out on me also. I stuck a new one in there (not SanDisk of course because apparently they suck) and all is good again. No sense in troubleshooting it any further, it is the SSD itself that has gone bad. My went at about the 5 month mark, I've read quite a few posts around the forums and it is beginning to fail for others as well. Just like in your case. Sorry for the bad news.

Hey @n1smo what did you do about the SanDisk SSD that died? Did you ask Lenovo or SanDisk for a replacement under warranty or something? I know Lenovo offers a 1-year standard warranty on parts and SanDisk offers a 3-year one on their SSD's and your case was well within either period. I got my replacement Y500 with the same 16GB SanDisk U100 mSATA SSD not too long ago and after hearing about all this I'm afraid it'll kick the bucket prematurely too. I'd be pretty pissed if I had to go out and spend a couple Benjamins on a real mSATA SSD if this one died in a few months. You'd think SanDisk would stand by their product or at least make amends for a defective one.

No, I didn't go through SanDisk or Lenovo. Just went on Amazon and bought a replacement. I figure instead of going through the warranty process, I would just bad mouth them until I am satisfied. :P

Must be a chronic issue, I too had to return my initial purchase (less than a week later) cuz the msata failed. Ive found easy ways to switch it out in Win 7 (uninstall cache apps, clear caches, replace msata ssd and reinstall drivers and apps), but Win 8 still iffy. Paragon might be able to do it, as it reads the msata drive, but Id be hesitant without solid backups and willingness to resort to clean install.