Some BSOD issues

Hi guys, I have some weird BSOD's lately. It might be due to the new mSATA ssd I installed, but I'm not quite sure. I would need to reinstall windows to be sure and I don't really have the time to do that right now. Here's a dump of the three BSOD's I have experienced. I actually had one more, but it didn't save anything at all.

Minidump.zip

My config is M14xR2 3610M, a single 8 gb Hynix chip and mSATA A-data SX300 + WD black in AHCI mode (system on SSD). Os is W7U

Well, this one was not interesting, since there are no replies. Anyway - I think the ssd just died today. I did a low level format and then installed windows on it. It worked fine for a couple of hours and as I was just finishing configuring windows, I got another BSOD and restarted the machine. After that I got into system repair (forgot to skip it) and it worked for 15 minutes, but seemingly got stuck. I restarted and the ssd was not visible in BIOS. After a complete shutdown it appeared again only to give me a BSOD on bootup. After that BIOS couldn't detect it even after I removed it physically and installed it again. I just hope it doesn't wake up from it's death when I take it back for replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no interest in this topic. Here's what happened. The first SSD died completely and I got a replacement. Everything was fine for about two weeks until today. Got a BSOD and I'm guessing I'll be getting more and more for the days to come. It's either that the A-data SSD's are terrible or just my M14xR2 kills them in some way. What's your guess?

I'm still writing to myself as a schizo.

Here's what's up. My second ssd is dying too. post-12750-14494995546838_thumb.jpg

The thing is that now S.M.A.R.T is reporting a temperature of 61 C and gives me warnings. Is it possible that the placement of the mSata slot is actually killing my ssd's. In the m14xr2 its right under the battery. Any of the users with mSata SSD's - what are your temps?

post-12750-14494995546838_thumb.jpg

I ran a Samsung 830 for about 6 months, and a Mushkin Atlas for the last 3 or so. No problems.

My limited experience with A-Data microSD cards is that they are cheap. That is to say: inexpensive and not highly reliable. It would not surprise me to learn that these qualifications carry over to their SSDs. Get a Crucial M4 or a Mushkin Atlas.

I ran a Samsung 830 for about 6 months, and a Mushkin Atlas for the last 3 or so. No problems.

My limited experience with A-Data microSD cards is that they are cheap. That is to say: inexpensive and not highly reliable. It would not surprise me to learn that these qualifications carry over to their SSDs. Get a Crucial M4 or a Mushkin Atlas.

I cant get Crucial or Mushikin, at least not from a local retailer. My only option is Intel 525 Msata drive.

One thing bugs me though - I got two consequitive ssd failures which happened pretty much the same way. For now I returned my second ssd and got my money back qithout much hustle. I also observed quite high temps (>60C) on the second ssd via hdd tune, if the sensors were reading right of course. This makes me think that there is a small possibility that my MB is faulty and the ssd's get overvolted. Any way to check voltage on the msata port?

Consumer-grade SSDs are typically rated for up to 70C. Consumer-grade SSDs often don't have reliable thermal sensors. And as noted, Adata isn't the most reliable brand on the market. Or the second. Or third. Or fourth for that matter. Still, if you're concerned and the M14x is under warranty then there's no harm in contacting Dell about it.

Amazon accepts pre-paid cards. A useful option if you don't have a revolving account.

Intel 525 is a great lineup. Pricy, but they're lower end enterprise-grade SSDs compared to the M4 and Atlas at the high end of consumer-grade kit. Given no option for mail order? I'd go with the Intel over the Adata without a second thought.

My warranty is a bit tacky. Dell support site says I have next bussiness day until 8/14/2013, but when I checked at local dell support, they said my service tag has been locked, whatever that means. I could contact international support and see what's the deal and probably will. I do however have warranty with the refurbished reseller from whom I bought the machine. Took it today for some tests. I don't know id they did something at all, but they said the voltages were fine and everything is working, so I might look for a higher quality ssd or even dell certified one (too expensive and not worth it).

I did purchase the A-data with the clear idea that something like that could happen, but got a bit worried as they started dying like flies. I'm probably going to purchase the intel 525, as the price isn't that steep - about 200USD including VAT. I choose not to buy online despite I have paypal and a mastercard as it means that if the device dies again, I will have to send it back to where it came from, pay for delivery and wait for replacement. As you said - intel uses pretty high quality components and if my msata is actually working properly, there shouldn't be a problem. I will have 5 year warranty too.

Only thing holding me back from purchasing it right away is my doubts that I actually don't need it that much. Even the faulty A-data were pretty fast with 25 seconds boot time and almost instant program loading times. I am kinda unortodox alienware user. I don't game. I use it for CAD and design software, so I observe that when my programs load the hard drive is no longer the bottleneck.

I'm actually considering purchasing a 32gb caching ssd and installing one more 8gb memmory stick thus getting dual channel 16gb ram. Maybe it's a bit offtopic, but should I risk it and get a kingston CL11 stick (the latency is the same as the hynix one installed) or just order the same momory I have online so I don't end up with RAM related BSOD's. Am I going to get the desired performance upgrade by the caching ssd&16GB combo - well I don't expect someone answering that. I did however observe the following - my former pc with I5 2300 and dual channel 1333mhz 2x4ddr3 performed at least 10% slower than my alienware during simple cad exports (stupid auto cad is using only one thread out of 8 )

Nevermind. I found this : Mini PCI E PCI PC Laptop Diagnostic Post Card Tester US | eBay

I don't know though if it only uses the mSata port to detect problems with CPU, Ram and other main components. I'm also unaware if it works with our BIOS There are olso more advanced testers, some of them using USB ports.

The thing outputs some codes and then you look them up in the user manual to see if there is something wrong. I doubt it will show anything in my case. I did some research and the mSata slot on the m14xr2 is connected via a small adapter, which hosts the Wlan slot. They both go into one PCI-e slot on the motherboard, so if there is something wrong with the mSata slot and it's frying the SSD's it should have affected the Wlan Card. Only possible reason would be some issoes with the pinout on the adapter card that holds the plugs for the Wlan card and the mSata ssd. There's something else - the mSata slot is also used for the HD Wireless card, so the pci-e slot is basically connected to the Video Card output on the motherboard. I'm not an expert so I don't know how exactly the mSata snd Wlan cards are working simultaneously - do they use the same resources (the same pins on the pci-e bus? I might get one of those testers and see if they show something and maybe then get another ssd and see if it dies too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I did. After installing an Intel 525 msata ssd the problems stopped. It was the crappy aData ssd's. I'd also recommend that users leave the fsb at 100 mhz as it means you overclock the msata port as well, so let's say it probably might kill an ssd faster, but that's arguable. In the end I'd just avoid anything but intel ssd.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...