Quadro 4000m on a m17x R4 ?

Moskix

Would there any problem replacing installed 7970M graphic card by a Quadro 4000M (N12E-Q3 A1) in a R4?

Greetings,

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 usando Tapatalk 2

Why do you want to do that? The 7970m is a much stronger card.

As for if it will work or not, I doubt anyone has tried it, so the only way to find out is to plug it in and see what happens. Laptops will just not like certain cards even if there really is no good reason for it not to work. Sometimes they do work but you need to always install modified drivers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The only reason to put a Quadro 4KM in anything is OpenCL/CUDA processing and certain kinds of CAD work. Alienware kit does not lend itself to either of these tasks. Notably, CAD work is hampered by the display options. The screens are beautiful for gaming but terrible for serious work. Try doing a color calibration if you want to see just how bad they are. There are better options for professional notebooks than Alienware. Go with one of those if you really need the Quadro.

• 1 month later...

You will need probably to flash an unlocked bios to disable the intel hd graphic card and after that is plug and play. The official drivers from nvidia will not work, only if u modify the .INF file and in windows 8 u need to disable the driver signature. I had dual 6990m on my m18x and could not profit on my video cards in rendering and changed them with a 680m (1344 cuda cores) ( and works perfect but i have lost the possibility to use the integrated graphic processor ,lower battery life but i can squeeze about 2.5-3 hours on windows powersave). I recommend to you gtx780m (1536 cuda cores) but if a quadro card is a ''Super must'' go with the quadro, but the K series k4000 ( based on gtx 675mx), k3000 etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Mathematical accuracy vs. speed. The Quadro line is for professional use where consistent mathematical precision is required. The GT line is for games where speed is required and mathematical accuracy beyond 2-3 decimal places is irrelevant.

In practical terms, you won't see a difference between the two in actual game renders other than frame rates. Where a GT might render a game at 30 frames per second, a Quadro of the same vintage might render it at 5-10 frames per second. On the flip, if you're doing CAD work, the GT might leave you with machined parts that don't quite fit together properly. This might be acceptable for Ikea but not so much for Boeing.