GTX780M+ in HM & EM models...

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys,

has some1 a idea if the r9 m295x tonga gpu will fit in the p170em?

maybe that will be easier than the gtx780m/880m

The 8970m and m290x work fine in the P150EM and P170EM without a BIOS mod, so I suspect that the m295x would as well.

The m295x looks like a very interesting card. Rumored specs are 2048 shaders and gcn 2.0. I would expect this to slightly beat the 780m and 880m.

I hope it will indeed be compatible with P1x0EM Clevos. I would rather spend ~$700 on a GPU upgrade than ~2000 on a new laptop. I think my current setup has enough CPU power, it could use a bit more GPU power though. A bit more GDDR5 wouldn't hurt either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Very nice to hear you're still working on it!

Like Marceki, I would much rater spend $700 on a gpu rather than 2000 on a new laptop.

I really appreciate all the hard work you do for us Prema.

Hi Prema,

Do you know if Dell Geforce GTX 780m or 880m would install in Clevo P150EM ? I have your custom v2 bios installed, running Win7.

I know that Dell AMD 7970M ain't supported from searching the forums... apparently it detects the temperatures wrongly in Clevo... is it the same with the Dell GTX cards?

@selphie Dell Nvidia 7xxm series cards are properly read by the clevo EC, but they have the same ACPI issues that Clevo and MSI cards have.

Hi Khenglish, could you clarify what is this ACPI issue exactly? I haven't heard of this before and google didn't turn up anything substantial.

Hi Khenglish, could you clarify what is this ACPI issue exactly? I haven't heard of this before and google didn't turn up anything substantial.

A poorly written system BIOS ACPI code is the reason why nvidia 7xxm series do not work in clevo EM series laptops.

A poorly written system BIOS ACPI code is the reason why nvidia 7xxm series do not work in clevo EM series laptops.

Hi, sorry that it sounds a bit confusing for me... Above you mention that Dell 7xxm series can be read by Clevo EC, and then 7xxm do not work in clevo EM? And that this is a Bios issue?

@Prema Does your custom Bios fix this?

Hi, sorry that it sounds a bit confusing for me... Above you mention that Dell 7xxm series can be read by Clevo EC, and then 7xxm do not work in clevo EM? And that this is a Bios issue?

@Prema Does your custom Bios fix this?

Yes the EM series can read the EC, but the card still does not work. This is a system bios issue. His current mod does not fix this but he is working on it.

Yes the EM series can read the EC, but the card still does not work. This is a system bios issue. His current mod does not fix this but he is working on it.

Oh okay... I thought I saw a screenshot before somewhere that showed Prema 3DMark-benching the 780M on his P150EM... Hmmm I might be getting old :beated:

So in the future EM series might work the 780M? Would it be worth the price to upgrade from the 680m to it? If the 780M gets support from his custom bios would it possible in the future to see the 800 series in the EM?

Seeing as they are the same chip, I have high hopes that the 880m will work. Just give it some time. Prema will update us when he can.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be nice to hear anything about the progress of the modified BIOS for the EM series. I can understand that someone do something voluntarily (god bless you), but when I visit this thread, and I see absolutely nothing new, I feel that the project goes quietly into oblivion, which fills me with sadness.