Please comment on my PC build for gaming

Ok here is the latest build:

Cooler Master N200 mATX case (amazing budget case)

Gigabyte G1. Sniper M5 (amazing sound with Xfire or SLI)

i5 4670K

HIS HD 7950 IceQ

Cosair Vengeance 2133MHz 8GB RAM

BeQuiet Pure Power 730W Modular PSU

Zalman CNPS11X Extreme CPU cooler

and one Air Penetrator for front intake to feed air to gfx card.

Thanks for all comments so far.

I wouldnt recommend sli or crossfire if u could get the same performance with one gpu. Even if its sorted out in most of the games there are several, especially new ones, where it takes quite a lot of time to eliminate the microstutters. the gtx780 is a very recommendable card, but the best pricewise would be to get one of those 7970 ghz with stock oc or good coolers like the DC2, it can still play all games on max with high res.

And if u go for a single gpu the PSU is way over the top, would suggest a straight power one from be quiet!.

greets Caro0

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldnt recommend sli or crossfire if u could get the same performance with one gpu. Even if its sorted out in most of the games there are several, especially new ones, where it takes quite a lot of time to eliminate the microstutters. the gtx780 is a very recommendable card, but the best pricewise would be to get one of those 7970 ghz with stock oc or good coolers like the DC2, it can still play all games on max with high res.

And if u go for a single gpu the PSU is way over the top, would suggest a straight power one from be quiet!.

greets Caro0

Great build! For a budget build so to speak I think the 670 or 770 GPU's are great performers for the $ and a good bit less than the 6/780's.. Great thing is a good solid foundation (psi, mb, cpu etc) you can always just upgrade gpu a couple generations before needing to upgrade anything else.

Yay! MSI 7990 now £500! Still pricey but that gpu should last me a long time in terms of playing games at 1080 or 1200p on max!

Also have people heard about Zalman Reserator 3 with nanofluids? Looks really good!

Will the 7990 fit your case? It'll be tight with cable management down there.

• Thumbs Up 1

well, first thing:

are you going to overclock and sli?

the latter two boards are oriented for those that wish to achieve maximum power within a tiny board

and you can't really compare them

the first board is a standard ATX board - with the full pcb layout

the last two boards are both m-atx boards - they cut some of the bottom pcb's off

don't get the 7990 if you're going to overclock because the card uses two power-saving 7970's - so your power bill doesn't shoot up

also, get a case that will last you long - i would not recommend cm cases for that trait

since you're into that style of case may i recommend this?

Corsair Carbide Air 540

• Thumbs Up 1

well, first thing:

are you going to overclock and sli?

the latter two boards are oriented for those that wish to achieve maximum power within a tiny board

and you can't really compare them

the first board is a standard ATX board - with the full pcb layout

the last two boards are both m-atx boards - they cut some of the bottom pcb's off

don't get the 7990 if you're going to overclock because the card uses two power-saving 7970's - so your power bill doesn't shoot up

also, get a case that will last you long - i would not recommend cm cases for that trait

since you're into that style of case may i recommend this?

Corsair Carbide Air 540

Thanks for the comment. I meant the ASRock Z87M Extreme4 which is a mATX board, sorry for that mistake.

I really want mATX form factor as I don't want a massive tower although I do like the Fractal Design Arc Midi 2.

Also really like the Fractal Design Arc Mini 2 but not sure when it'll be realised. Space for x2 240mm radiators!

Probably not sli/cf and I would like to overclock. I don't want to upgrade for a long time and an i5 4670k pushing 4.6+Ghz should last awhile (hopefully I get a good low voltage overclocker).

Not really a fan of that Air 540 because its so damn wide. If not 7990 I still can't find a card that is better value than an AMD 7950. Similar performance to a GTX 770 and like £100 cheaper.

Still its going to be October now when I start buying components so I'll wait to see what the 9970 offers, apparently better than Titan. If it comes in under £400 or 450 it could be interesting. Most GTX 780s are £550-650.

• 2 months later...

Always get the next step above the minimum for your PSU. It is the one component that can make or break the rest. Get something that your machine will only do %60-80 load, MAX, at any time. It will make the power supply much more efficient, and, the PSU will be able to handle the voltage changes much more easily with less chance of any power problems occurring as well.

For example, my last custom built PC was rated about 500-600 watts at an absolute maximum, so I got a 750 watt 80+ gold PSU that can handle it 24/7 even at %100 required load without breaking a sweat. In the end you get cleaner power, less energy waste, slightly lower operating cost and peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome :D but if you plan to overclock that CPU, i suggest getting a better cooler, maybe something like a corsair h80 or nh-d14 if you prefer air cooling

you might also wanna consider a r9 290 at that price point. you'll get better much better performance (even though it's pretty much a hair dryer but still maintain that 95C :( )