M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

It seems like your temps are fine. The cooling in laptops is always a nightmare. Do you use and external cooling pad also? I use a cooler master with the 3 removable fans. There is some reason why your GPU is throttling. Try reverting back to an older driver maybe. Also I noticed some other monitor programs would mess with the GPU, so I don't use any now. Everything works perfect though on my 780m on maxed out settings in pretty much every game. But I have to use the external cooling.

- - - Updated - - -

Also check your thermal pasting. It doesn't take much to cover. just a super thin line. I found the MX4 to have much lower temps than the IC7 BTW.

Guys, on a similar note. I've recently installed AutoCAD 2016 and Revit 2016 and a long with the installation were a bunch of Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables. What happened after was that EVERY single game I ran, lagged. It was ridiculous. I even reinstalled the game fresh and still lagging. I believed it was these C++ installs that made everything lag. Am I right? I did a system restore and everything's back to normal now, but I don't have the latest CAD nor revit. Did anyone every run into anything like this? The programs were working fine. Just that the games were lagging like crazy.

Thoughts anyone?

Is there any solution for throttling 780m in R3 (at 78c)?

I use bios A12 unlocked, vbios 780m OC rev02 80.04.B3.00.10

I did few test and I noticed that only when I modified fan speed (hwinfo) there was no throttling, but later it causes driver crash.

Anybody solved throttling somehow?

It seems like your temps are fine. The cooling in laptops is always a nightmare. Do you use and external cooling pad also? I use a cooler master with the 3 removable fans. There is some reason why your GPU is throttling. Try reverting back to an older driver maybe. Also I noticed some other monitor programs would mess with the GPU, so I don't use any now. Everything works perfect though on my 780m on maxed out settings in pretty much every game. But I have to use the external cooling.

- - - Updated - - -

Also check your thermal pasting. It doesn't take much to cover. just a super thin line. I found the MX4 to have much lower temps than the IC7 BTW.

Thanks for answer, i just realized that problem is with game. I can run Witcher 3 Wild Hunt on almost max settings with around 40 fps and temp are good and without throttling (max temp 77-78, thats really good). I also tryed with games like Risen 3 Titan Lords, Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, Stranded Deep, Zombi.... every game works perfect except Lichdom Battlemage. I probably downloaded bad version of a game, but when i think a bit when i run the same game on my desktop with GTX 650 TI 2 GB OC it works perfect....maybe they were downloaded from different sources.

About thermal paste, my opinion on IC7 is: CRAP really hard to put in on gpu and it stinks. Paste do its job but i dont like it, before i was using Gelid GC-Extreme and i am really happy about that product. Easy to use it, but unfortunately i ran out of it and IC7 just came in post. I am gonna repaste it soon with GC-Extreme.

By the way, what is best working driver for GTX 780M? I am using 353.62, driver is ok but if there is better one i would like to know :)

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Deleted

Cpu was ok i think, something like 75-80 if i recall correctly.

About thermal paste, my opinion on IC7 is: CRAP really hard to put in on gpu and it stinks. Paste do its job but i dont like it, before i was using Gelid GC-Extreme and i am really happy about that product. Easy to use it, but unfortunately i ran out of it and IC7 just came in post. I am gonna repaste it soon with GC-Extreme.

By the way, what is best working driver for GTX 780M? I am using 353.62, driver is ok but if there is better one i would like to know :)

I agree Gelid Extreme is good paste.

Different games work differently on specific driver. Most time I play Witcher 3 and after some research and tests I decide to 353.06 (W7) and 353.30 (W10).

My 780m sometimes (during hot days) throttle with R3. I didnt find yet any stable solution so I can only drop OC to 850 from 980 :(

• 2 months later...
- Download GeForce 334.89 WHQL

- Extract driver 7-Zip/winrar

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdmi.inf (notepad) Edit -> Replace -> Find What: 05AE Replace With: 0490 -> Hit 'Replace All' -> Save.

- Nvidia 334.89...International folder\ run setup exe.

This find and replace on nvdmi.inf worked for me using the newest GeForce drivers (GeForce WHQL ForceWare 358.50 and 358.87) on Windows 10 64-bit. I used the laptopvideo2go modified inf when I installed 358.50 the first time in addition to modifying the nvdmi.inf and that installed fine. I did a clean install when I updated to 358.87, modifying the nvdmi.inf but not using the modified inf from laptopvideo2go and this also installed fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Note I'm having some cold boot low GPU performance at the moment due to PCIex1 rather than PCIex16, which is fixed by a restart (warm boot). However, I've updated to the latest Windows 10 IMEI drivers and it seems that now only half the time I have Cold Boot Low GPU Performance. Will be experimenting with different intel chipset drivers to see if that improves the situation. Note that a restart solves the problem, so it's not a massive problem, but is an inconvenience.

Yes, I think you can disable driver signing enforcement the same as Windows 8 (although don't have Windows 8 to check). There is a good way though to get the legacy boot menu back - accessed by pressing the F8 key repeatedly during boot (which enables you to select Disable Driver Signing Enforcement quickly & easily for that particular one boot), you run an elevated command prompt and type the following which will bring back the legacy boot menu:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

So I finally had time to install windows 10 on my R3 with the 780m. It was so easy! I had to reinstall windows 8.1 with my old gtx460m installed. Windows update for some reason wouldn't recognize I had taken the 780m out. Then during 8.1 install it asked to upgrade to Windows 10. Once that was working I swapped out the cards, removed my old video drivers, and installed the modded drivers just like windows 8. I have to say the only issue I have so far with 10 is the scroll on my touchpad. Other than that I'm happy:) Thanks again Robbo!

hello can anyone help me how can i make a mod file for my nvidia gtx 780m, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use nv_dispi.inf instead, from here (already modded).

or

- Download latest drivers

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdmi.inf (notepad) CTRL+H -> Find What: 05AE Replace With: 0490 -> Hit 'Replace All' -> Save.

- Extracted driver package -> run setup exe.

Use nv_dispi.inf instead, from here (already modded).

or

- Download latest drivers

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdmi.inf (notepad) CTRL+H -> Find What: 05AE Replace With: 0490 -> Hit 'Replace All' -> Save.

- Extracted driver package -> run setup exe.

thanks j95[emoji4]

Sent from my ARCHOS GAMEPAD2 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, i have been reading a lot about this topic but i cannot figure out what's my problem.

I have a m17x r3 with win7 and since my gpu did not work anymore i decided to upgrade it and got a 765M.

This is what i did:

1. Since this link for the modded A12 bios in this forum is no longer working, i looked for the modded A12 bios on google and found the one on this post http://portables4gamers.com/forum/topic/18078-m17x-r3-bios-a012-bios-a012-unlocked/ so i downloaded the modded version (second link) and installed it
  2. Starting win7 in safe mode I uninstalled every audio driver and nvidia driver
  3. Reboot and F2 into BIOS, then Integrated sound card disabled -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu ->Video Configuration -> set display to PEG ->F10
  4. I then shut down the computer
  5. Removed the old card, put the new 765M (with thermal pads etc...)
  6. Started the PC and the monitor "lights up" but it stays blank, i see nothing, just the backlight on, but nothing more: pure black
  7. Since i could do nothing, I removed the CMOS battery, waited for 30 secs and then put it back in
  8. Turned the PC on again, now the screen turns on but it stucks on the screen with the alienware logo, the "loading bar" goes from 0 to 100% but I cannot access BIOS, not even boot in safe mode, nor anything else (i read somewhere that this seems like a BIOS problem, not recognizing the gpu...)
  9. If i put the old (non working) card instead of the 765M, i can then re-access the BIOS

I'm really lost, hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Crash I've got exactly the same problem with a 765m trying to install into M17x R3. Unlocked bios A12, IGP disabled and display set to PEG. Upon boot just get black screen (lcd backlight on but no alienware head / bios / post). I removed the 765m and put in into an AW17 and flashed the vbios with svl7's unlocked version. Put the card back in the R3 and now upon boot I get slv7's custom post message "Modded by SVL....." which comes up before alienware head, but still hangs at this point and no alienware head / bios / post.

My best guess is a vbios issue with the board version of our 765m cards (mine came from an AW17 originally, maybe the people on here had the AW14 versions? as I know they are different vbios versions). I've not tried flashing the AW14 vbios version onto my 765m as I'm guessing will probably brick it.

Jon

Hei Jon thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately I did not manage to solve the problem...damn.

I hope someone will notice this thread and provide some useful info, else it's game over for me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanna share my experience thus far.

System:m17x r3. Bios A12. Prior to this, I have a 680m that stays at 70-74degrees and play games fairly well.

Bought a 780m because Im feeling greedy for more FPS. Had one massive problem, the clock throttles at 212Mhz out of it's full 850Mhz speed. 65 degrees all the item.

Followed the usual instructions for installation.

Tried nvidia modified drivers (from oldest to newest to newest beta, to Mr Fox drivers), Not solved.

Modifying the vbios of 780m(from original, to sl7 modified vbios, to some other dude backup bios-yeah stupid- but no bricking), Not solved.

Changed from A12 to A8, back to A12. Not solved.

3 evenings and no result, so I had enough and decided to return to seller. All I suspect now is hardware defect, if anyone has other opinions please do share.

Btw, not sure if this is allowed, bought it here: http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/172111637016?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#rpdCntId

Edit:

seller:

Their feedback profile on me:

dishonest buyer ,we contact him at once when we get the parcel ,then refund .

My feedback:

Defective item. Refund and burnt 39GBP. Slow to reply, slow to refund.

The card never went up near stock clocks! And due to their 15% restocking fee, I burnt 39GBP for nothing. They're slow to reply and slower to refund, and I'm not in the business of trading. I go my own job yet I can accomplish all this in a day!

Scammish seller, beware.

performence780m_kenyang2010.PNG

Edited by orang
Info update on graphics card seller

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone,

I am in desperate need for some help with upgrading the 780m to my alienware m17x r3 model.

I have followed all instructions as in posts with no luck.

Removed all previous graphics with DDU

I have changed all bios settings, audio disabled, PEG mode etc...

Installed new card, noticed in bios as nvidia GFX but does not get identified in device manager when booted and also states no hardware detected when runnning the custom GPU driver.

Thanks help would be appreciated please.