M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

@grandanoke DDU/uninstaller to remove any leftovers of the 580M.

- Include Display.Optimus to the folders list above.

- Post GPU-Z screenshot and upload the corresponding vBIOS file -> right click -> send to 'Compressed (zipped) folder' or 7-Zip Add to "xxxxxx.zip".

[ATTACH]11110[/ATTACH]

here is a screenshot of the gpu z post-10478-14494997331372_thumb.gif

btw the problem is getting worse and worse because i got 7 driver not responding today and the last one didn t recover:/ (it happen both in games and in videos in youtube, but more often in games)

i haven t tried yet the reinstall of the driver with the j95 s instructions...i ll do it on thuresday(btw right now i got another driver not responding while i was typing....8)

- - - Updated - - -

btw look the memory clock...is it normal to be so low?1000mhz and the core lock so high? core i think is 770 and memory speed 4000....don t know if sthing is wrong or not...

here is a screenshot of the gpu z [ATTACH]11114[/ATTACH][ATTACH]11114[/ATTACH]

btw the problem is getting worse and worse because i got 7 driver not responding today and the last one didn t recover:/ (it happen both in games and in videos in youtube, but more often in games)

i haven t tried yet the reinstall of the driver with the j95 s instructions...i ll do it on thuresday(btw right now i got another driver not responding while i was typing....8)

- - - Updated - - -

btw look the memory clock...is it normal to be so low?1000mhz and the core lock so high? core i think is 770 and memory speed 4000....don t know if sthing is wrong or not...

Why are you bothering even posting if you've not done what we've suggested! How do you expect to fix your problem if you don't try anything to fix it!? Your memory clock is fine, it's supposed to be 1000Mhz; some programs report it as 4000Mhz because it's 'quad pumped', because it's GDDR5, but it really runs at 1000Mhz, so you're all good. Your core clock is also fine. How come your graphs are all messed up though in GPUz? The red portions should show the amplitude changes of the various frequencies & loads, but yours are all the way to the top - (mine looks the same as yours (messed up) if I 'Switch User' in Windows 7 when I have GPUz running and then go back to it).

EDIT: sorry for being snappy, but you can't fix your problems unless you actually try something different - like the things we suggested. Make the changes & then post back. :-)

here is a screenshot of the gpu z

- - - Updated - - -

Sensors 2X, graphics card screenshot?

vBIOS dump?

Sensors 2X, graphics card screenshot?

vBIOS dump?

ok guys relax..don t get mad with me..i didn t want to try it today cause if sthing happen i ll think of it all day..and i have not time to waste for that...so i am going to do it in thuresday and report...

Yeah wasted time...good luck!

post-10478-14494997337322_thumb.gif

ok, i did it reinstall the drivers as you said today ..and upload a photo of the gpuz , that s the vbios you want?. btw no it didn t fix my problem :(

- - - Updated - - -

chekc the gpu core clock...i have 862 in the last gpuz uploaded...and the d default clock is 706mhz and the boost at 797mhz?how can i have so much?

btw now with the new drivers the lag is worst....and seriously....sthing is really wrong with my temperatures.....when i had the gtx580m i use to be around 72C and now only 56C? and still the core clock is so much more than normal...lol...i really don t know what to do? what else do you want me to upload?

@grandanoke:

So you can compare the performance you're getting:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And have a look at this, you'll see that 862Mhz is normal (Turbo Boost 2.0):

Review One K73-3N (Clevo P170SM) Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Temperatures are lower because 770M is only a 75W card.

If you're still having display driver crashes after following j95's driver install instructions, then I can't really help you on that. Maybe there's a hardware problem with your card. It might be helpful if you upload your vBIOS of your card to this website. j95 showed you how to do this earlier. Then users will be able to use your vBIOS on their 770M cards - it seems not all 770M vBIOS are compatible with the R3.

ok sorry for being noob, but the vbios j95 ask isn t the one i already uploaded?oh and i ll try a repaste of the card....and take care that all the pads are good ....but still in the link you sent me it says that 75C is the temperature that the clevo was running....how the **** i run in 55C? anyway i am hoping that the repad will fix the problem..although i don t really believe that is possible while the core is 55..the memory to be 90+

ok sorry for being noob, but the vbios j95 ask isn t the one i already uploaded?oh and i ll try a repaste of the card....and take care that all the pads are good ....but still in the link you sent me it says that 75C is the temperature that the clevo was running....how the **** i run in 55C? anyway i am hoping that the repad will fix the problem..although i don t really believe that is possible while the core is 55..the memory to be 90+

As I said, I don't think I can help you anymore sorting out what's going wrong with your system, we've tried everything I know, so I'm not going to retype stuff I've suggested in the past. Uploading the VBIOS is the instruction j95 gave you in post #262 - he highlighted where you click on GPUz with a red rectangle - this will save the vBIOS file, and then you can attach it to a post (upload it). If you do this it will help other users with a 770M and an R3.

Like I said you've only got a 75W card, I have a 75W card too, and if I set mine to 770M clock speeds I get the same low temperatures that you do.

Maybe someone else can chime in if they've got some ideas on how to prevent your display driver crashing.

As I said, I don't think I can help you anymore sorting out what's going wrong with your system, we've tried everything I know, so I'm not going to retype stuff I've suggested in the past. Uploading the VBIOS is the instruction j95 gave you in post #262 - he highlighted where you click on GPUz with a red rectangle - this will save the vBIOS file, and then you can attach it to a post (upload it). If you do this it will help other users with a 770M and an R3.

Like I said you've only got a 75W card, I have a 75W card too, and if I set mine to 770M clock speeds I get the same low temperatures that you do.

Maybe someone else can chime in if they've got some ideas on how to prevent your display driver crashing.

that s from bios?the blue screen?....btw the error i get it says windows driver error kernel mode sthing like that

that s from bios?the blue screen?....btw the error i get it says windows driver error kernel mode sthing like that

Sorry, I don't think everything on earth can be explained in this thread, you have to take some responsibility for finding out information yourself. I'm out of ideas for why you're getting these strange problems - Good luck.

i am going to return the graphic card and i would like to thank you for the help, i think it s faulty card cause when the error happen i saw that the card stop taking volt and everything go 0(gpu-z)

i am going to return the graphic card and i would like to thank you for the help, i think it s faulty card cause when the error happen i saw that the card stop taking volt and everything go 0(gpu-z)
Click the green/black icon and save the vBIOS file.

[ATTACH]11101[/ATTACH]

Try uploading the vBIOS file before returning the card...possibly this specific version will be required after you get the replacement card or ask the reseller to flash this version.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi J95:

Forgive my bad english. I had the same situation as Veer.But after I disable sound card, I succeed into the normal system, not only safe mode.

But the problem is hardware ID "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_119F&SUBSYS_04901028&REV_A1"

Is it normal?

Thanks~

• 4 weeks later...

just recently upgrade my m17x r3 to nvidia gtx 780m it all went well but i cannot get my audio back working, i tried all the guide here but i get white screens, currently i installed nvdia graphics driver 331.65 with modded inf file that i got from laptopvideo2go, can anyone help me fix my audio back , thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK - everything works swell; I'm just having two little issues, tho [Alienware m17x R3 of course].

When I first booted up with the 780m installed, I got a black screen and beeps happened (I didn't count - 6 maybe?); it was with the IDT and IGP turned off [graphics set to PEG]; I simply powered off and on - it started allright; installed the nvidia drivers, rebooted, turned on the IDT - everything works including sound. However, the beeps still RANDOMLY happen (tho not very often - once every 3-4 boots). A simple power off/power on makes the notebook boot just fine.

Why do the black screens with beeps randomly happen? Any idea?

Also - my sleep mode doesn't work. Whenever I power the notebook on from sleep mode, all I get is a white screen.

Anyone experiencing similar?

Other than these, everything works just fine. I'm getting great performance and really good temps with the 780m.

PS.

Haven't tried the modded vbios yet - what exactly does it do? Everyone boast that it can help you get over 10k in 3Dmark - does it overclock/overvolt?