M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

Windows 8 / 7 - M17xR3 GTX 780M installation (Windows 7 skip step 2 and 4).

Thermal Pad Placement - Fujipoly Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad - Sheet - 150 x 100 x 0.5 - Thermal Conductivity 11.0 W/mK

m0d5.png

That's useful that you've put the height of the pads required for the different chips. Is it not dependant on whether you have the 460M/560M heatsink or 580M or 6990 heatsink? Or are all the heatsinks the same in terms of dimensions & construction? I know the 580M heatsink looks a little different to the 560M heatsink - the 580M heatsink has a copper section in one area, where the 560M just has 'normal' metal at that point.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump the thread but I've spent the last couple hours reading all the posts and during research and it looks like you guys know what you're talking about.

I want to know if there is other cheaper 700 series gpus that would be worth going to instead. I'm not interested in paying $900 for a gpu. Was thinking under $500.

J95 mentioned buying a 780m from Dell a few pages back for significantly cheaper but his link goes to the front page and their search shows nothing.

Anyways, what would be my best bang for my buck on a gpu that has been known to work by at least 1 other person on this forum. Anything in the 600 or 700 series.

I have the m17x r3 with a 460m. No 3d.

Thanks in advance

Also, I have a decent amount of tech experience but only found out today that my laptop could be upgraded.

Sorry to bump the thread but I've spent the last couple hours reading all the posts and during research and it looks like you guys know what you're talking about.

I want to know if there is other cheaper 700 series gpus that would be worth going to instead. I'm not interested in paying $900 for a gpu. Was thinking under $500.

J95 mentioned buying a 780m from Dell a few pages back for significantly cheaper but his link goes to the front page and their search shows nothing.

Anyways, what would be my best bang for my buck on a gpu that has been known to work by at least 1 other person on this forum. Anything in the 600 or 700 series.

I have the m17x r3 with a 460m. No 3d.

Thanks in advance

Also, I have a decent amount of tech experience but only found out today that my laptop could be upgraded.

I would go with the 680M, and then flash svl7's modified VBIOS to allow for greater overclocking (not limited to +135Mhz on the core). Here's one from ebay, uk based, but prices might be similar for the US version:

Nvidia GeForce Dell GTX 680M 2GB DDR5 for clevo Alienware upgrademonkey | eBay

You can overclock the 680M beyond stock 780M levels, and the price is a lot less. I don't believe there is a big enough difference in performance between a 680M and 780M to warrant the price difference, especially if you flash that modified VBIOS & overclock. The 460M heatsink will work with the 680M if you rearrange the pads (X-bracket should be fine too), maybe buy some extra 1mm pads so you can build up some areas of the heatsink. Cooling should be good with the 460M heatsink too if you pad & paste it right. I have the 460M/560M heatsink, and my ugraded GPU when fully overclocked consumes nearly 100W, and temperatures are 66 degC at 20 degC room temperature, so your temperatures should be OK if done right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i got an alienware m17x r3 . my gtx580m is dead and i am thinking of buying the gtx770m , do i have to changed heatsink , the card work in my laptop right?what else i should care in mind?

thanks in advance

michael

The heatsink is fine, here http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/5951-problem-a12-unlocked-bios-not-showing-hidden-menus.html

so the only problem i will face , is that i have to flash to a12 bios unlocked?

You could face lots of problems, but obviously less if you know what you are doing! Isn't there a procedure already written for this process in this thread? If not, it's also listed in the thread that j95 linked you. For me, the hardest part was padding up the heatsink properly so that all chips are covered yet still allowing the heatsink to sit flat on the GPU core. The rest of the procedure is easy if you follow the steps and know what you're doing before you start.

You could face lots of problems, but obviously less if you know what you are doing! Isn't there a procedure already written for this process in this thread? If not, it's also listed in the thread that j95 linked you. For me, the hardest part was padding up the heatsink properly so that all chips are covered yet still allowing the heatsink to sit flat on the GPU core. The rest of the procedure is easy if you follow the steps and know what you're doing before you start.

i know how to repaste a card, can you help me about sthing else..i searched the ebay.co.uk and i found 2 cards gtx770m frmo the same seller both(who doesn t asnwer m y messages). my questions are:

are they gonna work in my laptop? and what s the difference bettween them?

New Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3.0 Type B for MSI Alienware | eBay

New Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3.0 Type B for Clevo Alienware MSI | eBay

i know how to repaste a card, can you help me about sthing else..i searched the ebay.co.uk and i found 2 cards gtx770m frmo the same seller both(who doesn t asnwer m y messages). my questions are:

are they gonna work in my laptop? and what s the difference bettween them?

New Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3.0 Type B for MSI Alienware | eBay

New Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3.0 Type B for Clevo Alienware MSI | eBay

The difference is that one has come from an MSI machine, and the other one comes from a Clevo, beyond that I don't know the differences. I have a Clevo card in my laptop, if I had to choose between them I'd take the card from the Clevo, just on the evidence that I've got a Clevo card working in my laptop. Might be a good idea to google around if there any incompatibility issues between MSI and M17xR3, etc. Best bet is to get confirmation from the seller, hopefully he will respond. I'd go with the Clevo card though if I had to choose one. I got mine from Upgrade Monkey, and they could confirm compatibility for me.

(In my previous post I wasn't referring to the pasting, I was referring to the placement of the pads as the most difficult aspect).

The difference is that one has come from an MSI machine, and the other one comes from a Clevo, beyond that I don't know the differences. I have a Clevo card in my laptop, if I had to choose between them I'd take the card from the Clevo, just on the evidence that I've got a Clevo card working in my laptop. Might be a good idea to google around if there any incompatibility issues between MSI and M17xR3, etc. Best bet is to get confirmation from the seller, hopefully he will respond. I'd go with the Clevo card though if I had to choose one. I got mine from Upgrade Monkey, and they could confirm compatibility for me.

(In my previous post I wasn't referring to the pasting, I was referring to the placement of the pads as the most difficult aspect).

What about the sound card issue? Will that be present with the 770m? I assumed it was for all the 700m series cards...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about the sound card issue? Will that be present with the 770m? I assumed it was for all the 700m series cards...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the sound issue, I think I've read that some 770M users might have had problems with the sound, but I guess they can just follow the correct installation method (same as 780M) which results in there being no sound issue.

• 2 weeks later...
hello again ,

i will be really really if you find or make the mod file for the gtx770m but with the latest graphic driver which is now in the nvidia site:/

thanks in advance

I think that's what J95 has in the post above. Don't forget to thank him :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hello again ,

i will be really really if you find or make the mod file for the gtx770m but with the latest graphic driver which is now in the nvidia site:/

thanks in advance

- Download GeForce 334.89 WHQL

- Extract driver 7-Zip/winrar

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdmi.inf (notepad) Edit -> Replace -> Find What: 05AE Replace With: 0490 -> Hit 'Replace All' -> Save.

- Nvidia 334.89...International folder\ run setup exe.

- Windows 8 - disable driver signing.

Command Prompt (Admin) Win key + X Type:

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes

-> "The operation completed successfully">reboot>Install drivers.

Exit test mode, cmd (admin).

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning no

->reboot.

nvdmi.inf_v334.89_AW_M17xR3_GTX_770M.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

- Download GeForce 334.89 WHQL

- Extract driver 7-Zip/winrar

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdmi.inf (notepad) Edit -> Replace -> Find What: 05AE Replace With: 0490 -> Hit 'Replace All' -> Save.

- Nvidia 334.89...International folder\ run setup exe.

i managed to install the new graphic card but after the successful installation i re-enable the cpu graphic card and till then i can t even pass the logo screen....the load bar stuck in the middle of the way and i have to force shut down....i read in an other thread that this is probably from a bad bios flash(although i believe it sthe mobo :( )

i have already tried that http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x-aw-14/1330-bios-reset-recovery-possible.html ..but nothing happen. the laptop start fans working it seem to read the usb for a few se the the light goes off and the screeen stays black...

any suggestion in how to reset bios or reflashed it?? but don t forget i can t get to bios....no beep although the card seem to working fine...

thanks in advance

i managed to install the new graphic card but after the successful installation i re-enable the cpu graphic card and till then i can t even pass the logo screen....the load bar stuck in the middle of the way and i have to force shut down....i read in an other thread that this is probably from a bad bios flash(although i believe it sthe mobo :( )

i have already tried that http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x-aw-14/1330-bios-reset-recovery-possible.html ..but nothing happen. the laptop start fans working it seem to read the usb for a few se the the light goes off and the screeen stays black...

any suggestion in how to reset bios or reflashed it?? but don t forget i can t get to bios....no beep although the card seem to working fine...

thanks in advance

So, just so I understand your situation, you've installed your 770M, and now it won't get past the POST screen, so it's not getting to the step where Windows starts loading? Maybe it's a problem with the video card, or the video card is not compatible with your system. (There's guides all over the place on BIOS versions & settings required in order to install non-standard GPU's in the R3, so I assumed you've followed those). You could try putting your old GPU back in to see if it gets past the POST screen. If it does, then your computer is not liking your GPU for whatever reason. I've read that some users have problems getting the 770M to work in the the R3, whereas the 780M seems more reliably compatible.

Here's a thread that might help (other users with 770M problems in the R3):

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/732251-upgrading-nvidia-gtx-770m-alienware-m17x-r3-6.html

So, just so I understand your situation, you've installed your 770M, and now it won't get past the POST screen, so it's not getting to the step where Windows starts loading? Maybe it's a problem with the video card, or the video card is not compatible with your system. (There's guides all over the place on BIOS versions & settings required in order to install non-standard GPU's in the R3, so I assumed you've followed those). You could try putting your old GPU back in to see if it gets past the POST screen. If it does, then your computer is not liking your GPU for whatever reason. I've read that some users have problems getting the 770M to work in the the R3, whereas the 780M seems more reliably compatible.

Here's a thread that might help (other users with 770M problems in the R3):

Upgrading to Nvidia GTX 770m on Alienware m17x R3 - Page 6

no you are wrong....i managed to install the video card 100% correctly and i played few games to check it.....but after i finished...i went back to the bios to enable again the audio and the cpu card(the video) till then i stuck on logo screen...now the only thing i want is how to reset the bios with a usb ....i have a12 unlocked