M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

I've just installed a GTX780m into my M17x R3 but the modified drivers provided by eurocom is not detecting my new card. I would like to try it with J95's .ini but I cannot download it since I'm new. So I gotta get to 5 posts. Sorry if I am highjacking your thread . ....

Ok...well instead of waiting for 5 posts, I just made a donation. I've followed all the steps and used the modified .ini file with the official 320.49 drivers but it still cannot detect my card? What am I missing? I've already set as PEG, disabled IGD......

Ok...well instead of waiting for 5 posts, I just made a donation. I've followed all the steps and used the modified .ini file with the official 320.49 drivers but it still cannot detect my card? What am I missing? I've already set as PEG, disabled IGD......

Hi, I just posted a description of how to mod a driver at the following link (post #4401):

-------------------

Hopefully that will work out for you, that's how I modify drivers for my card.

Hi Cheetos, here's how I modify drivers to get them to install on mine:

Go to the following link, which is a link to a modified inf file, part of the LaptopVideo2Go website that I've been using for years:

http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/320se...8x64/nvwin.inf

That will appear as a list of text in your web browser. You then just need to 'Save Page As', (and I only ever got it to save properly when using Firefox), and choose file type 'All Files'. This will allow it to be saved as a config file. Will be saved as 'nvwin'. EDIT: I've attached the modified inf here for your convenience (you'll need to unzip it). They update the inf periodically, so you'll probably want to check for new releases periodically if you're going to be installing drivers like this in the future.

Copy that nvwin.inf file & paste it into the display folder where the NVidia driver will have been extracted to (when you tried to install it): normally located at C:\NVidia. You'll know that you've pasted it into the correct folder if it asks if you want to replace the file, which you would allow: that just proves that you're overwriting the file & you're pasting it into the right place.

Run the setup installer file located in the C:\NVidia folder, and follow the onscreen instructions. It will show a warning that the driver has been modified, just go ahead and ignore that warning & continue to install. Should work fine.

- - - Updated - - -

@Robbo: Feel free to post it here instead of just posting a link to that place.

No prob, just taken your advice.

nvwin.zip

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys

i read your interresting posts.

but finaly, i cant boot windows 7 normally.

the unlocked bios A12 reconize the card :- i disabled IGD

- PEG is set primary and always enabled. the "workaround" is set too.

windows doesn't boot. i can see the window's logo drawing, but i have a dark (or white) screen in place of the login screen.

i must boot in degraded mode with network.

the nvidia driver from eurocom don't work. it didn't recognize the card.

i found a patch for the nvidia card on internet.

the install look good. but when i want to test the performance with a game, it's slow. (perhap's because of the degraded mode)

when i try to boot normally, it's the same

i can see the window's logo drawing, but i have a dark (or white) screen in place of the login screen.

is it possible that the problem is somewhere else ?

power AC for exemple ?

please, i didn't shoot gamers on BF3 from 2 weeks.

help me :-)

Glad to help. No sound at all now? I assume you have a Clevo card... not sure how it works with the sound in the R3, but the Nvidia card comes with an audio device if I'm not mistaken... maybe try the modified vbios in the Kepler mod thread.

hi,

from nvidia inspector, i can see :

- the manufacturer is DELL

- GPU is GK104 revision A2

- BIOS is 80.04.90.00.02

i buy it from eurocom on ebay

i'm afraid to flash the VBIOS. do you really think that it will help me ?

IRQ is 7 for the GTX 780M. is it possible to change it ?

well

i can't flash the vbios.

post-15983-14494995898211_thumb.png

GPU mismatch

i think that the solution is to change the IRQ of the nvidia card.

when running in degraded mode :

- the GTX card use IRQ7

- the internal audio part of the mother board use IRQ 10

when running in normal mode, the two cards use IRQ 10

i try to change IRQ from windows. but it seems to be impossible from the device manager

any idea ?

P9160 1006/5985 OV 1.025v Win8.1, just to check temps NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2960XM Processor,Alienware M17xR3

P9150 1006/6000 stock voltage NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2960XM Processor,Alienware M17xR3

34u8.png

Reinstalled windows, sound card compatibility issue detected, only disabling IDT in the BIOS worked, tried swapping GPU's, installed IDT (the same crappy sound card Dell used for the cheaper Inspiron models) but still no go windows loads IDT or microsoft drivers and screen turns white; solution external sound card or MOBO upgrade. Multitasking IDT.....:D

well,

i finished by buying an external USB sound card.

do you think that next driver versions from idt or nvidia can avoid the problem ?

well, i can't wait more. i must kill somethings in BF3 :-)

rendez-vous on the battlefield

my callsign is "euthanazor"

well,

i finished by buying an external USB sound card.

do you think that next driver versions from idt or nvidia can avoid the problem ?

well, i can't wait more. i must kill somethings in BF3 :-)

rendez-vous on the battlefield

my callsign is "euthanazor"

Its not a driver issue probably hardware/firmware, we could try to flash a dell vbios to rule out clevo but still I will upgrade the MOBO (R4) it uses the same connectors, even the eDP screen connector is a 50pin one plugged to 40 pin cable (120Hz samsung screen), someone swapped an R3 120Hz screen to the R4 w/ no 3D support but it worked and the first R4s came with sandy bridge processors, I don't know if the OC options are compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys i'm new here just registered 2day i got my gtx 780m today and i have red all this thread and i was very afraid because thats my first gpu upgrade i have ever done but it was strait forward for me like plug and play exactly as what j95 said

1- update my bios to A05 unlocked ( oh yes i forgot to mention that i have M18X R1 with gtx 460M )

2- replace the GPU card with all the steps of opening and apply the thermal bads and the heatsink (which i used the same 75w came with the 460m ) just increased the naked copper area to fit the bigger ship)

3- start the computer and it went straight to the log in screen

4- login and i used the same driver as u said thanks for j95 and SVl7 (v320.49 BETA) and the *.inf file from this link http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/3907-modded-nvdmn-inf-v320-49-alienware-m17xr3-r2-m18xr1-r2-nvidia-gtx-680m-780m.html thanks J95

5- custom instal and unchecked the two 3d drivers ( i never used them anyways )

6- repoot and thats it every thing is perfect now

NOTE: i'm using the 75w heatsink and with only browsing i get 46 to 50 degrees and with tomb rider 2013 in ultra every thing i get 66 degrees i think that pretty good for the 75w heatsink with 3 copper pipes and i'm still using my AC 240W yet

hope that helps i will send some pictures soon :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...
hello guys i'm new here just registered 2day i got my gtx 780m today and i have red all this thread and i was very afraid because thats my first gpu upgrade i have ever done but it was strait forward for me like plug and play exactly as what j95 said

1- update my bios to A05 unlocked ( oh yes i forgot to mention that i have M18X R1 with gtx 460M )

2- replace the GPU card with all the steps of opening and apply the thermal bads and the heatsink (which i used the same 75w came with the 460m ) just increased the naked copper area to fit the bigger ship)

3- start the computer and it went straight to the log in screen

4- login and i used the same driver as u said thanks for j95 and SVl7 (v320.49 BETA) and the *.inf file from this link http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/3907-modded-nvdmn-inf-v320-49-alienware-m17xr3-r2-m18xr1-r2-nvidia-gtx-680m-780m.html thanks J95

5- custom instal and unchecked the two 3d drivers ( i never used them anyways )

6- repoot and thats it every thing is perfect now

NOTE: i'm using the 75w heatsink and with only browsing i get 46 to 50 degrees and with tomb rider 2013 in ultra every thing i get 66 degrees i think that pretty good for the 75w heatsink with 3 copper pipes and i'm still using my AC 240W yet

hope that helps i will send some pictures soon :)

Is there another type of heat sink for the gpu besides the one with 3 copper pipes?

Hey, I just put in an order for a 2920xm on eBay. Do you thing I will be able to do any overclocking with the 2920xm and leave the 780m stock with a 240W psu? Or will I need a 330W psu?

i just finished chatting with dell and they informed me that the new alienware 17 with gtx 780m and 4th gen 1ntel core i7-4800MQ comes with the 240W PSU so i think u don't need the 330w

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, I just put in an order for a 2920xm on eBay. Do you thing I will be able to do any overclocking with the 2920xm and leave the 780m stock with a 240W psu? Or will I need a 330W psu?

For good information on all things 2920xm related then look here:

[Guide] Overclocking the 2920XM/2960XM CPUs in the M17x R3 with/without Modded bios.

Really good, comprehensive information for you in that link.

(I think you'll be alright with the 240W supply)

• Thumbs Up 1