M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

It's probably unrelated, but still... waht's your vbios version?

The only necessary changes in the bios should be primary display to PEG and IGD to disabled.

Optimal defaults, only once after Bios flash.

IGP Disabled/PEG enabled.

Enter safe mode uninstall NV drivers>reboot.

Back in windows under programs and features uninstall everything NV related>reboot.

Windows (MS generic driver) Browse NV International folder>Delete the following folders : Display.Optimus, Display.Update, GFExperience, MS.NET.

Overwrite nvcvn.inf>Install>select custom install option>Uncheck 3D Vision options>Check clean install option>Reboot when prompted.

Did all the steps, uninstall nv driver and other nv components, rebooted back in safe mode, deleted the folders you mentioned.

Copy/paste the nvcvn.inf then launch the setup, custom install the driver (i left the HD audio driver checked and both 3D options were unchecked) and also checked the clean install.

During process, i got prompted by windows security that it can't verify the publisher of the driver, i clicked on install anyway (i got this prompt on all my previous attempts to install the driver).

Installation complete but i didn't get prompted to reboot, i did it manually.

I let windows load into normal mode, and got blank screen again.

rebooted to safe mode, checked the device manager/ display adapter, the 780m shown.

Checked the advanced setting in screen resolution, still no information is available.

thanks for the effort and time you guys are putting to try to solve the issue.

That's weird it looks like the 680m 3D Vision Blank screen bug, M17XR3 60Hz screen ?

Alienware M17x M18x New NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB DDR5 MXM 3 0B | eBay

*** Please take note that this video card DOES NOT work with 3D enabled notebooks. We are working on resolving this issue and till take this notice down when we have it up and running ***

Usually there's a sticker under the card with the VBIOS version number.

VBIOS dump under DOS follow this guide http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

nvflash -b backup.rom

@chiefule first one to install 780m / m17xr3.

Edit @veer Try NVIDIA DRIVERS 326.01WHQL installs fine under Win 7 and no blank screen during installation (gtx 680m 120Hz)don't install under safe mode (MS generic driver), follow previous steps, uninstall delete folders...

nvcvn.inf_M17XR3_GTX780M_v326.01.zip

@J95 @svl7

here is the pic of the bios at the back of the card:

post-13602-14494995615138_thumb.jpg

hope this helps.

I already tried contacting @chiefule by posting in http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/3596-alienware-m18x-r1-running-nvidia-gtx-780m-let-testing-begin-4.html and also send him a PM.

@J95, There's is only two ways i can access windows 7 normal mode which are:

1. to go to the bios and disabled the Special features, which immediately enables the IGD.

2. to reinstall my 460m back in then set everything back to normal in the bios and F10 to reboot.

you said "don't install under safe mode (MS generic driver)", please elaborate how to go to normal mode to install the driver v326.01 WHQL.

I'll wait for your answer before any further installation trial.

Below are some photos of screen properties:

post-13602-14494995616157_thumb.png

hope this helps too.

post-13602-14494995614284_thumb.jpg

post-13602-1449499561581_thumb.png

After uninstalling NV drivers under safe mode it won't boot to desktop ? wrong BIOS settings.

Advanced Menu>Video Configuration>Disable IGP>Set display to PEG>F10>Reboot.

VBIOS 80.04.92.00.02 now he can help you out, BTW http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-226.html#post55392 you're one of the lucky ones.

After uninstalling NV drivers under safe mode it won't boot to desktop ? wrong BIOS settings.

VBIOS 80.04.92.00.02

It won't boot to desktop in normal mode, but it will in safe mode. (when i do the uninstall of the nv driver, my bios is IGD> disable, PRimary dispaly> PEG)

Because each time i do uninstall the driver in safe mode, then rebooted to normal, i got the blank screen.(my bios is IGD> disable, PRimary dispaly> PEG)

Then to go back in to normal mode where lets say to 'verify the thread for posts', i have to go into BIOS again set the Special features to Disable (all features including PEG gets disabled automatically), and instantly the IGD is automatically enabled.

Now i can get to normal mode, in devaice manager/ display adapter, only Intel® HD Graphics 3000 is shown.

If need any other details let me know.

Ok, i downloaded the vbios for the 780m from NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks, the nv driver v326.01 WHQL with the nvcvn.inf.

Can you please explain to me how and when to use NVflash and where to download it from (i saw several version).

I'm reading the guide for nvidia bios flashing http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html.

If you guys can tell what steps should i take before flashing the vbios,

should I install the driver first (logically yes but I'm not sure).

Thanks for the help.

i really hope its gonna work or im gonna start to cry.:cry_002:

I did install the unlocked bios A12 for the R3, manage to find the video config options, and i did disable the integrated GPU (didn't touch any other settings).

I reinstalled the 780m, got pass the boot screen onto the screen where windows 7 loads( the windows 7 animation) then no login screen or anything, my whole screen is just showing different colours or sometimes just white, then a beeeep, then it restart (or crashes not sure, no BSOD).

Check if the card is well seated>Remove Power cable/Battery>Remove CMOS battery its located in front of the GPU fan>Press power Button 30 sec>Put CMOS battery back>Battery>Power on F2>Main Tab check NVIDIA GFX detected>Disable IGP>Display set PEG>F10 reboot.

Install NVIDIA DRIVERS 326.01WHQL using ncvcn.inf v326.01. No more options left, faulty card vbios issue ?. Don't flash it, if faulty things will get worse warranty void / returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vEk_ZFAzLI

Check if the card is well seated.

Check if the card is well seated>Remove Power cable/Battery>Press power Button 30 sec>Remove CMOS battery its located in front of the GPU fan>Put CMOS battery back>Battery>Power on F2>Main Tab check NVIDIA GFX detected>Disable IGP>Display set PEG>F10 reboot.

Install NVIDIA DRIVERS 326.01WHQL using ncvcn.inf v326.01. No more options left, faulty card vbios issue ?. Don't flash it, if faulty things will get worse warranty void / returns.

Check if the card is well seated.

ok, i wont flash the vbios.

im going to follow the steps u gave me, but before i do, after i reboot do i let it go into normal or in safe mode.

Normal mode.

When flashing system BIOS did you run InsydeFlashx64 as administrator ? you could also try to re-flash it first w/ 780m if issue persists then follow prev. post.

so, i unplugged>took the battery out>press the power button for 30sec(nearly 40 sec actually)> took the CMOS battery out> put the CMOS battery back in> put the battery back in (do i plug in the Ac adapter)> got stuck at he boot screen, to loaded nearly a quarter then stops.

Please advise, thank you.

so, i unplugged>took the battery out>press the power button for 30sec(nearly 40 sec actually)> took the CMOS battery out> put the CMOS battery back in> put the back in (do i plug in the Ac adapter)> got stuck at he boot screen, to loaded nearly a quarter then stops.

Please advise, thank you.

i can`t seem to get into normal mode to install the nv driver 326.01 with the modded nvcvn.inf, right now i`m in safe mode to install it, when it completes, ill try to flash the A12 bios again.

do i flash it in safe Mode (will windows allow me to do it in safe mode)

or do i go to normal mode with only the intel HD Graphic card enable. (my only option with the 780M in the system)

I`ll let you know how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Optimal defaults, only once after Bios flash.

IGP Disabled/PEG enabled.

Enter safe mode uninstall NV drivers>reboot.

Back in windows under programs and features uninstall everything NV related>reboot.

Windows (MS generic driver) Browse NV International folder>Delete the following folders : Display.Optimus, Display.Update, GFExperience, MS.NET.

Overwrite nvcvn.inf>Install>select custom install option>Uncheck 3D Vision options>Check clean install option>Reboot when prompted.

is there anything else i should delete, cause there is only the display.optimus and display.update in the international folder.

When loading safe mode are there any artifacts ? swapped cards ?

The 780m is in the system right now, ive put it back after enabling the peg and disable IGD.

What do you mean by artifacts?

I did install the unlocked bios A12 for the R3, manage to find the video config options, and i did disable the integrated GPU (didn't touch any other settings).

I reinstalled the 780m, got pass the boot screen onto the screen where windows 7 loads( the windows 7 animation) then no login screen or anything, my whole screen is just showing different colours or sometimes just white, then a beeeep, then it restart (or crashes not sure, no BSOD).

I think everyone missed this part. Power on>F12>Select System Check>Report back.

ok installed the nv driver 326.01 modded .inf, unselected both 3D options, it did install successfully. then rebooted manually into normal mode,

got the problem again, blank screen, this time it was a light BLUE:50_002:.

- - - Updated - - -

I think everyone missed this part.

Does help you nw that you noticed it?